What film did you watch last night?

Caporegime
Transcendence - 7/10

Mark Kermode said "Give it a chance, it's not as bad as the critics are saying." I found he was pretty much spot on.

It's sci-fi without any action sequences. It's a lot of talking. The science is mostly nonsense, but hey, most science on the big screen is. Underneath, however, there's a half-decent story about human and machine intelligence. Whether our physical bodies essentially make us who we are or if they just limit our potential.

The bottom line is, if you love sci-fi (I can't get enough), and you don't need an explosion every 5-10 mins, you can't really go wrong with this film.

Last edited:
Soldato
Transcendence - 7/10

Mark Kermode said "Give it a chance, it's not as bad as the critics are saying." I found he was pretty much spot on.

It's sci-fi without any action sequences. It's a lot of talking. The science is mostly nonsense, but hey, most science on the big screen is. Underneath, however, there's a half-decent story about human and machine intelligence. Whether our physical bodies essentially make us who we are or if they just limit our potential.

The bottom line is, if you love sci-fi (I can't get enough), and you don't need an explosion every 5-10 mins, you can't really go wrong with this film.

Wow, that's being kind.

I thought it was absolute boring dross.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Agreed on Rush, one of the best films I have seen in a long time. If you are going to watch it, make sure its good quality though. I wish I had seen it at the cinema really.

9/10

Caporegime
The Eagle

Started off promisingly with legionaries, swords and guts, then deteriorated into two blokes trudging round a seriously grim bit of Scotland for an hour.

5/10

ROME HBO/BBC series > all other programs/films about rome.

I think in the first ep 2 guys get told to find the eagle ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
Gravity 6/10
Despite a (lousy) physics degree and fairly good grasp of the likelihood of surviving any one of the events in that movie, let alone all of them strung together, I unexpectedly loved it.

I found the the survival story compelling and involving... though I am something of a sucker for emotional roller coasters, and can be embarrassingly 'emotionally incontinent'. Which is why I'd never go to the cinema to watch anything like that. Well, that and the fact the last time I went I wanted to axe murder the idiots who treat the big screen like their own living room.

Anyway, 9/10. The glorious effects drag you through the quiet plot building elements, and the drama drags you through the statistical miracles. I'll definitely watch this again when I get a bigger TV, or when I can afford to hire a cinema for myself. :->

Permabanned
The two most recent movies I have watched are "Enter the Void" and "Antichrist".

CAN SOMEONE EXPLAIN WHAT THE HELL I WATCHED?

srs these movies were so weird.

Try - A Serbian Film

I like films like antichrist...plots of Hollywood movies are far too easy to guess these days

Soldato
Safety Not Guaranteed.

Really enjoyed it. I liked the way that time travel, in various metaphorical forms, could be said to be being attempted by many of the characters.

Soldato
Cloud Atlas
2/10 for effort, visuals and for spending so much money.
Extraordinarily boring movie that was of no consequence.

This movie felt like the studio gave the producer/director a blank cheque and told them to get creative and enjoy themselves.

And its so long.

EDIT: this movie may appeal to those who like the arty movies and are impressed with visuals and dialogue.

Last edited:
Soldato
I found the the survival story compelling and involving...

Normally, I too enjoy survival against the elements type movies interesting.
On paper, this is exactly my type of movie.
However, Gravity just didnt do it for me.
I actually couldnt have cared less if Bullock died or not.
Her character just didnt hook me in, so her survival was not relevant.

The SFX were top notch, though.

Caporegime
The Royal Tenenbaums - I like this film. It's weird and it takes its time, but it's got some really funny bits and the characters are nice and quirky. Gene Hackman is so good in this, absolutely amazing performance.

Annie Hall - Interesting to watch this having seen things like High Fidelity and (500) Days of Summer. It's pretty funny. Good film.

Back
Top Bottom