What film did you watch last night?

Don
Mad Max: Fury Road - 9/10.

Had sort of put off watching it, as in my head was thinking it wouldn't be that good - never have I been more wrong.

2 Hours of almost non-stop vehicular warfare and explosions. Visually amazing, with clever rather than over the top CGI, interlaced with real-life stunts, all presented with a vibrant colour scheme (who knew a desert could look this good?). The soundtrack was excellent as well, cleverly intertwining what was going on onscreen e.g. War drums and the Guitarist into an integral part of the experience.

Tom Hardy cast as Max worked absolutely fine - whilst I'm not sure I could say there was anything outstanding about him - there was nothing wrong either - he fit perfectly and couldn't see how anyone else would fit the role better.

Interesting interactive visual pre/post cgi of some scenes in the article below:
http://www.theverge.com/2015/5/31/8694099/mad-max-cgi-before-and-after-shots

Caporegime
De Niro considers himself a working actor: he likes to be making films. Unfortunately, the reality of the film industry is that at his age he just doesn't get offered many good roles (the roles for elderly male leads just aren't there), so he signs up to whatever production wants to give him a sizeable part.

Give over. Last year he made Joy, Ellis, Heist and The Intern, none of which required him to jerk off at length, other merits notwithstanding.

Michael Caine was interviewed on the Mayo/Kermode film show the other day. He keeps pretty busy as well, and he's 10 years older the De Niro. I doubt he'd be willing to star in anything like Dirty Grandpa.

Last edited:
Associate
Saving Mr. Banks... nice film, and Hanks and Thompson are always worth watching 7.5/10

legend of the Guardians... Absolutley stunning visuals, really some of the best CG work I've seen, but only an average film; though the kids loved it... 6/10

Caporegime
Asterix and Obelix : Mansion of the Gods (2016) 2/10

Took my son to watch this on Sunday.......absolute garbage.

I am not sure if the issue is that French humour does not translate well, but it just failed to even bring a smile to my face.

Awful

Asterix films are all totally garbage. Buy your son some Asterix comics. They are a million times better imo.

Associate
13 Hours : Secret Soldiers of Benghazi. 8/10

Very entertaining, intense action sequences. Enjoyed it far more than American Sniper, this seemed more 'real'. I'll have to look into the real events to see how accurate it was but assuming it is fairly close to the real thing it is a crazy story.

Soldato
13 Hours : Secret Soldiers of Benghazi. 8/10

Very entertaining, intense action sequences. Enjoyed it far more than American Sniper, this seemed more 'real'. I'll have to look into the real events to see how accurate it was but assuming it is fairly close to the real thing it is a crazy story.

Err...it's a Michael Bay film....I'm not sure how that equates to feeling 'more real' :D

Kermode's review said exactly the opposite, it was all (unsurprisingly) about the explosions and effects and little concentration on the characters or development.

Soldato
Give over. Last year he made Joy, Ellis, Heist and The Intern, none of which required him to jerk off at length, other merits notwithstanding.

Michael Caine was interviewed on the Mayo/Kermode film show the other day. He keeps pretty busy as well, and he's 10 years older the De Niro. I doubt he'd be willing to star in anything like Dirty Grandpa.

If you're going to use someone as a comparison against De Niro then Cain is hardly a good choice. The man lost out on the chance to collect his Oscar because he was filming that visual excrement "Jaws: The Revenge", which he admits was just for a paycheck for his house. :)

Associate
Fox Catcher 6/10 I wasn't feeling this, just a bit too slow and plodding. The story and acting were very interesting, however I felt it could have been tightened up greatly.

Caporegime
If you're going to use someone as a comparison against De Niro then Cain is hardly a good choice. The man lost out on the chance to collect his Oscar because he was filming that visual excrement "Jaws: The Revenge", which he admits was just for a paycheck for his house. :)

How much of his Jaws screen time was spent masturbating?

Soldato
Watched Sicario last night - 9/10 for me

Really, really, really good

Suspence, acting and filming all top notch
story line is well constructed too - hints to things but when you finally understand whats going on its nice and simple to understand without tons of exposition

almost believable story in places as well - no one really does anything thats outside of what could really be happening

only annoyance was
the friend setting her up with a random dude in a random bar who turns out to be out get her? seemed a bit convienient that the randomness of it lead straight to a bad guy? but meh minor thing really

Last edited:
Soldato
I really enjoyed Sicario as well and thought the cinematography was just fantastic, though at least half a dozen people (kids) walked out of the cinema at the time, and I heard comments from others leaving after that weren't positive at all

Back
Top Bottom