What film did you watch last night?

Associate
La La Land (2017) - 7/10

Entertaining enough, but I expected so much more – I really struggled to see what all the fuss and hype was about.

It’s a good film with lots of nostalgic touches and themes with a passable romance story and two very likeable characters.

Lots of great music, but not enough musical numbers or spectacle, and as a lot of the songs and scenes end on a down note, there’s an almost constant bitter-sweet atmosphere.

The “what if” sequence looked a lot more fun, upbeat and lively and with a few more musical numbers, would have been a much more enjoyable film for me.

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
Underworld Blood Wars - They have done it! They have officially killed the franchise. Absolutely dreadful. No idea what the director was thinking about or trying to do. At times the dialogue was cringe worthy and acting simply dreadful. There is no coming back from this one, i'm afriad and that from someone who liked the first two.

The ending particularly was rushed like a 30 second commercial or BBC weather report. It was out time, out of budget and out of ideas. I couldnt believe it was that bad.

2/10 - the extra point was only because Kate still looked smoking in the leather tight suit.

Last edited:
Soldato
If it makes money, it will carry on. I thought the last Underworld film killed the franchise because that was beyond dire. That made money, and looking on Wikipedia, Blood Wars has so far nearly made double it's budget, so on it goes...

Caporegime
La La Land (2017) - 7/10

Entertaining enough, but I expected so much more – I really struggled to see what all the fuss and hype was about.

It’s a good film with lots of nostalgic touches and themes with a passable romance story and two very likeable characters.

Lots of great music, but not enough musical numbers or spectacle, and as a lot of the songs and scenes end on a down note, there’s an almost constant bitter-sweet atmosphere.

The “what if” sequence looked a lot more fun, upbeat and lively and with a few more musical numbers, would have been a much more enjoyable film for me.

I just got back from LA LA Land. Btw, I just got this... La La...Los Angeles !

I am not a musical fan, went to see this from all the hype from the US and it did not disappoint. About 10 mins into the movie I had fallen in love with the leads, Emma Stone in particular. It was strange at first to see people burst into songs but this really is so good. The sets, the colours, the back drop, the cinematography, the editing and some of those dances are like 1 long shot which I love. I had photographed a few musicals in the past and been to numerous rehearsals so I have seen the work they put into it to hit the spot and I find it fascinating to see it on the big screen.

The acting was also brilliant, especially the opening audition from Stone, when she cried on the phone...that 30 second was just pure brilliance. The chemistry too between Stone and Gosling, they are believable as a couple and believable when they fall in love and believable when they fight.

By quarter of the way through this movie I found myself smiling at the screen.
Half way through this movie I told myself this is better than Star Wars and I am going to own this on Bluray.
About 3 quarters I thought this is will win Best Picture at the Oscars.*

I adore this movie. Love it. When the credits rolled I wanted to start clapping, then I remember I am British.

9.9/10 - Better than Rogue One!

0.1 off perfection (a 10) because a couple of the dance numbers felt a little clunky.

*I need to see Hacksaw Ridge and a couple of others first.

edit - just booked to see it again tomorrow...finally read a few reviews and they all say it is better the second time round.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hunt for the Wilderpeople 9/10

Both me and the missus thoroughly enjoyed it and we're chuckling throughout. Brilliant little film.

Soldato
Patriots Day 6/10

Wahlberg in yet another biopic, he does love em, this time the Boston marathon bombing.

Quite enjoyed it but felt more like a TV movie than a major Hollywood production.

Just watched a vid by ScreenJunkies and find out Wahlberg's character was made up for the film.

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
Live By Night - I have no idea how this movie had so many negative reviews. The film was pretty good. Starring and directed by Ben Afleck. Good supporting cast and no where near as bad as some of the critics have said. If you liked the Town you would love this.

Solid 8/10 for me.

Soldato
Passengers - 5/10
Cool sci-fi story made pop and hindered by 2 vastly overrated but popular actors. Enjoyed enough despite this.

10 Cloverfield Lane - 7/10
John Goodman is great, a surprisingly good film considering the set and amount of actors involved. Takes some interesting paths. Thoroughly enjoyed.

Rogue One - 8/10
One of my favourite Star Wars films, more of that please. Thoroughly entertaining and interesting to see a Star Wars film be played out a bit differently. K2 gives us some laughs along the way. Solid 8 at least.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom