What film did you watch last night?

Apparently with Alien 3 they fell out with the director and released a completely different movie, there's a fan edit and it's completely different. Shame there's just no way to get your hands on it.

The mess in Alien 3 is all on Weaver, she was constantly asking for re-shoots and re-writes...not trusting Fincher as he was essentially a nobody back then. He rarely talks about it in interviews, still a very sore point for him.

Gonna be watching the directors cut of A3 over the next few days after just watching Alien/Aliens at the weekend, will be able to tell you how much it matches the Assembley Cut and Hybrid Cut afterwards.

Saw Logan last night and really enjoyed it. It actually felt longer than it was, not that it dragged, but it wasn't fast paced throughout. Really good, quite sad, and a solid 7/10.

Doctor Strange - 8/10
Enjoyed it a lot, but as it's an origin story, it's a little slow to begin with. The last half hour more than make up for any misgivings though. I couldn't pick up on Benedict's terrible American accent I heard people complain about, didn't even notice it one bit.

Goodfellas on UHD (after not seeing it for 15 years or so )

What a fabulous film, I had forgotten quite how good (and violent) it is.
I went off Joe Pesci for a bit due to his turns in the Leathal Weapon series, where he was (scripted to be) just really annoying, but he is fantastic in this even if Liotta and De Niro steal a lot of the film.

Goodfellas on UHD (after not seeing it for 15 years or so )

What a fabulous film, I had forgotten quite how good (and violent) it is.
I went off Joe Pesci for a bit due to his turns in the Leathal Weapon series, where he was (scripted to be) just really annoying, but he is fantastic in this even if Liotta and De Niro steal a lot of the film.

how was the transfer ?

Watched La La Land last night.

Can't really give it a number out of ten for some reason. I didn't really enjoy the first 30-40 minutes (very rough guess on time), even though by then I could easily appreciate how well made it was. I thought it got a lot more interesting after they fell for each other and the story could move forwards. I thought the ending was clever and although hardly groundbreaking, I like that it ended up that way and it felt like it meant something.

For me Emma Stone was 9.5/10 whereas Gosling was more like a 7. He was still good, but although I know his character was supposed to be quite rigid and unexceptional, I don't think there was anything special about his performance. Emma Stone just did everything right in comparison.

I can see why it divides opinion so much, and for the first 30-40 mins I was getting ready to dislike it a lot, but it just about won me round. And I certainly don't think that it is pretentious or anything like that, it was very well made and shot, and the tone was just right.

I spit on your grave

Crazy horror about a woman who is abducted, tortured and raped but survives to take revenge. Very brutal in parts and like any good horror, the acting sucked.

The mess in Alien 3 is all on Weaver, she was constantly asking for re-shoots and re-writes...not trusting Fincher as he was essentially a nobody back then. He rarely talks about it in interviews, still a very sore point for him.

Gonna be watching the directors cut of A3 over the next few days after just watching Alien/Aliens at the weekend, will be able to tell you how much it matches the Assembley Cut and Hybrid Cut afterwards.

Assembly Cut is exactly the one Inwas thinking of! I never knew it was her that caused so much of an issue, thanks for that.

What did you think of the Assembly Cut?

Just watched "The Blair Witch". Wasn't sure if I needed to have seen "The Blair Witch Project" first but I watched it anyway, bit behind the times, I know.
Any way I think the follow up was much better, not a great fan of "found footage" films but I do think it was well done and a genuinely creepy film.

Assembly Cut is exactly the one Inwas thinking of! I never knew it was her that caused so much of an issue, thanks for that.

What did you think of the Assembly Cut?

So watched the 2003 assembley/directors cut last night, they're essentially one and the same. The main difference to theatrical cut is a lot more padding of scenes with dialogue which actually works to it's benefit as it makes more sense why they're doing a lot of what they do. The middle act is much better as they actually capture the Alien, the theatrical cut had them running around and lots of them dying for nothing.

The main thing I didn't like was the change to the ending with Ripley dropping into the furnace. There was no "birth", just her falling into the flames.

Saw 5 (i think i lose count) first one ive watched since Saw 2....last one ill watch aswell. Just horrible.

Dont Breathe. I really enjoyed this for a low budget horror. Thought it was pretty unique, for me anyway.

Dont Breathe. I really enjoyed this for a low budget horror. Thought it was pretty unique, for me anyway.

I can't wait to see what else Fede Alvarez will make, along with his Evil Dead reboot which I think was near perfect, he could be the future face of horror.

Just watched "The Blair Witch". Wasn't sure if I needed to have seen "The Blair Witch Project" first but I watched it anyway, bit behind the times, I know.
Any way I think the follow up was much better, not a great fan of "found footage" films but I do think it was well done and a genuinely creepy film.

...and on the flipside of my comment about Alvarez, Adam Wingard made a complete mess of The Blair Witch, with the exception of a few moments near the end I thought it was awful. I'm a big lover of the original movie but even that hasn't aged too well, for it's time it's still a classic though.

Adam Wingard peaked with The Guest, his segment in V/H/S was ok and You're Next was over hyped rubbish.

I didnt know it was Fede Alverez until i saw the credits. Pleasent surprise.

Watch The Blair Witch yesterday...what a waste. I remember the original like it was yesterday. Sneaking into the cinema at 13, not sleeping for weeks and still to this day looking into the corner whenever i go into my cellar lol.

Watching Saw 6 as we speak...i dont know why as i hate gore for the sake of it...just intrigued i guess

how was the transfer ?

From a video point of view it looked good (but then Im only watching on a 40" 4k screen at the moment) and the audio was good

Later in the summer Im hoping to get a 65" screen and atmos speakers for the living room and then I will really know if its a good transfer :)

The Lobster - 5/10 - it was a weird film. Started off well with some very dry humour and it was this odd setting in a weird utopian future where everyone had to have a partner for life/be in a relationship. Dragged on in the end though. Couldn't wait for it to finish.

Lion - 9/10 - incredible, powerful film. It's beautiful, just go and watch it if you haven't.
I actually felt almost the opposite between these two. You're right that the second half of The Lobster is considerably weaker than the first though.

I saw Logan last night... and it wasn't what I expected. I didn't really enjoy it very much - 5.5/10

I found it predictable, slow moving and depressing. While the amazing cinematography saved it somewhat, the story line was basic and there were elements that I didn't think added up, which was irritating. I didn't find it as fun or entertaining as I've come to expect from Marvel.

Contains Logan spoilers!!
To go into more detail, I thought the action sequences were a bit basic (the sequences not the gore, which was abundant) and short lived - even the 'grand finale' of fights that I've come to expect was a bit flaccid. Also, those kids were being trained to fight and were rage filled little ninjas - but at the end when they're cuffed, they don't do anything! The pace and focus of the film was wrong for me.. e.g. they put barely any focus on the professor's death which didn't do his storyline justice. Etc.. etc..

I feel like I'm the only person who doesn't like it! I went to the cinema with a bunch of friends and they all said it was the best marvel film they've ever seen! Er....no.

Did anyone else feel similarly?

Back
Top Bottom