What film did you watch last night?

I found it predictable, slow moving and depressing. While the amazing cinematography saved it somewhat, the story line was basic and there were elements that I didn't think added up, which was irritating. I didn't find it as fun or entertaining as I've come to expect from Marvel.

TBF, it is Fox rather than Marvel, so you never know what you're going to get.

So watched the 2003 assembley/directors cut last night, they're essentially one and the same. .

Is that the version in the box sets?

In school, a mates sister was going out with a guy who worked on A3 and he had a tape of A3 which had all the capture sequence in it - and this was months before it was released. I think the birthing scene was different too but can't remember for sure.

So watched the 2003 assembley/directors cut last night, they're essentially one and the same. The main difference to theatrical cut is a lot more padding of scenes with dialogue which actually works to it's benefit as it makes more sense why they're doing a lot of what they do. The middle act is much better as they actually capture the Alien, the theatrical cut had them running around and lots of them dying for nothing.

The main thing I didn't like was the change to the ending with Ripley dropping into the furnace. There was no "birth", just her falling into the flames.

I think I might be able to get my hands on the directors cut a lot easier and it sounds like the better option out of the two. Thanks a lot for this summary!

You
I saw Logan last night... and it wasn't what I expected. I didn't really enjoy it very much - 5.5/10

I found it predictable, slow moving and depressing. While the amazing cinematography saved it somewhat, the story line was basic and there were elements that I didn't think added up, which was irritating. I didn't find it as fun or entertaining as I've come to expect from Marvel.

Contains Logan spoilers!!
To go into more detail, I thought the action sequences were a bit basic (the sequences not the gore, which was abundant) and short lived - even the 'grand finale' of fights that I've come to expect was a bit flaccid. Also, those kids were being trained to fight and were rage filled little ninjas - but at the end when they're cuffed, they don't do anything! The pace and focus of the film was wrong for me.. e.g. they put barely any focus on the professor's death which didn't do his storyline justice. Etc.. etc..

I feel like I'm the only person who doesn't like it! I went to the cinema with a bunch of friends and they all said it was the best marvel film they've ever seen! Er....no.

Did anyone else feel similarly?

You aren't alone mate I didn't think it was great either. It was a 'decent' film but no more than that for me.

Kong: Skull Island (2017) - 9/10

A really enjoyable film thanks to its Vietnam War setting, funny moments, exciting action scenes, and an unnatural atmosphere on the island.

A visual treat with something always going on, great special effects, and stunning creatures, especially during the fight scenes involving Kong.

The story is straightforward but functional, and although the range of characters is diverse, they are mostly typical.

Also, some of the plot elements do feel unnecessary and because of the film’s pacing, others are glossed over.

TBF, it is Fox rather than Marvel, so you never know what you're going to get.
Exactly, Marvel movies are made by people that know the material and are fans themselves. Whereas Fox is ran by management and executive producers that force and meddle which has has messed up movies that many times, it way past being funny. The only exception was Deadpool which Fox left alone as they were expecting a flop. The only thing they "helped" was slashing the budget. Got concerns now that the director had left so.....

Logan - 8/10

Definitely loving these R rated comic book films. It just seemed to drag at some parts.

Finally they let Woverline cut loose, that is how the character was meant from the very start but the usual Fox making it PG rating for audience profit first and good movie/ everything else second. They got there in the end, kinda but a little late imo.

By the Sword -- 6/10

Could've been the Rocky of fencing movies, alas, the patchy exposition ruins it. The fencing also got a touch cack towards the end. Nonetheless, it's a good enough redemption story with an interesting dynamic between the two main characters.

Kong: Skull Island (2017) 5/10

I Think it started out well enough (pretty fun) but about 1/3rd in it just went stupid. (Kong has sushi) Sure its good CGI, its filmed in a very beautiful looking area of the world but every character is awful and even John C Reilly's "usual" comedy couldn't save it too much. Samuel L Jackson is awful, Hiddleston is awful, Every human is awful. The characters are veneered with the thinest possible smear of interest. Maybe not the Tribal people, but I'm glad they don't speak. To me it felt a lot was cut and editing felt a bit all over the place sometimes.

It feels like a terrible wasted opotunity, combined how bad the previous Godzilla film was too. They want to make more of these?

Marvel seem to be the only competent company when it comes to trunging comics and monsters into films. Even they are getting boring.

Get Out - a bit predictable, 5/10.

The Neighbor - not bad really, 6/10.

Movie reviews using only 3 words! :p

e: knew I watched something else...

Gold - worth a watch, 7/10.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom