What film did you watch last night?

Assassins Crud..... lol out of 10.

AS someone who has played all the games... how did Ubisoft approve this movie script(or, did they write it, then take it to a studio?). It flies in the face of everything that is Assassin's Creed, the constant moving in and out of the past is hilariously awful, does nothing for the film except make it seem worse and is just laughable.

Even if I hadn't played the games it makes little sense, doesn't explain Assassins and Templars nor really the history of it well. But knowing the actual lore of the game, the changes made for the film make zero sense and certainly doesn't improve the story or make it better for filming.

I guess they wanted to do away with expensive CGI and sets for the past so they tried to make it more based in the present and rewrote it to make it that way?

The ending is insanely stupid, not hugely less stupid than the rest, but even more stupid.

Seriously, at the end in a gathering full of Templars he just walks up, stabs the guy and no one at all goes after him? Everything in this film is stupid but that is just, indescribably bad really.

Last edited:
Schindler's List

It doesn't matter how many times you've seen this film or how much you prepare yourself for it... From the absolutely frightening shower scene, to Schindler breaking down near the end, it will never fail to ruin you emotionally. If there's one film that should be shown to everyone during school, it's definitely this.

A real masterpiece.

Watched a few over the last few weeks. So a bit of a bulk review

• Moana - whole lot of fun, some great songs. looks stunning. - 7/10
  • Fences - Stunning performances, just stunning. How Denzel didn't get the oscar I don't know. He's won for lesser performances. A true acting powerhouse of a movie. 8.5/10
  • Passengers - Oh my, such disappointment, I really like the 2 leads, but this whole film was just dull. What a waste of cast and money. 3/10
  • A Monster Calls - Interesting low-budget feel, but with crazy visuals. I thought it would be better than it actually was. 6.5/10
  • Manchester by the Sea - Whilst I enjoyed the film, I felt like it just washed over me a bit, and whilst ive never been a Casey fan (his acting just comes across as lazy and uninterested to me) I thought he was good here. Not worthy of the Oscar though. 7/10
  • Underworld - Blood Wars. Think the less said about this the better, utter tripe. 2/10
  • Hacksaw Ridge - Enjoyed this far more than I thought I would. Garfield was really good, far better than I thought he ever could be. Brutal open war scenes. 8/10
  • Live by the Night - Must admit to having an issue with Ben Affleck films, in that to me, he always plays Ben Affleck, There's a good film here. Just hidden behind big Ben, in Big bad suits. 6.5/10.
  • The Autopsy of Jane Doe - erm, I'll keep this brief, silly horror, but the corpse has a nice rack. Did I just say that.... 3/10
  • Arrival - Contrived, yes, slow, yes. But I still really liked it. The look, the feel, decent performances. 7.5/10
  • Moonlight - I was so looking forward to this. Don't get me wrong, it is good, but it just didn't deliver for me, it looked lovely, amazing for the money it cost to make. I just found it a little dull. The acting was good, but the lack of dialogue and eye contact of the lead just let me cold. Sometimes films just seem to ride to 'worthy' bandwagon. 7/10
  • I Daniel Blake - Damn this film nearly broke me on quite a few occasions. The food bank scene, wow. Poignant, powerful, heartbreaking, a real film that speaks of this moment. Predictable ending robbed it of a point. 8/10
  • The Girl on the Train - Wasnt expecting much, didn't get much. Average film with the worst drunk acting by the lead I think I've ever seen. 5/10
  • Don't Breath - Far better than I expected it to be. Good popcorn flick with a few jumps - 7/10
  • The Magnificent 7 - I made the mistake of reading the review on this before I watched it. It's not a great movie by any stretch, but it's not a turkey. Enjoyable film to kick back and watch. 6.5/10
  • Snowden - Sorry, couldn't get past Gordon-Levitt's voice. I don't care if the guy actually sounds like that. It sounded daft coming from him. Ruined the film for me, in that I just found it constantly distracting. 4/10
  • War Dogs - If you go in not expecting much, you won't be disappointed. Was OK way to waste a bit of time. 5/10
  • Hell or High Water - Frinkin loved this film. The acting was so well judged, it just felt like a real piece of sleepy America. Was so pleased to see it got recognised. 8.5/10
  • Swiss Army Man - The first 3 quarters of the film were great, the end I felt it just tailed off. quirky and very funny in places. 6.5/10
  • The Conjuring 2 - I actually quite liked the original. This was just daft. 5/10

After numerous tips here
Hell or High Water: Despite mainstream appeal designation, it shoots well above that, 9/10 for me (pine etc are excellent), compact and in someways simplistic but we really thought it did it well as a piece.
---
A resitting of Luc Beson's Lucy, for some it might be a bit Marmite, for the haters I'll say 8.5/10and you are idiots.

On that note I like Carpenters Ghost's of Mars (doom 3 - The Game, drinks heavily at the well), frankly if there is a carpenter film you hate, I'm writing you off as a know nothing Michael bay loving moron.

That said, those against easy rider's Tarantino is an "auteur" despite decreasing returns on recent films are OK in my book, so each to their own.

I did also watch Michael Mann's Blackhat.
On rare occasions a film comes along where I can't be arsed to watch in one sitting, as much as the accuracy of some technological aspects were OK, Mr Robot it aint.

A generous 5.5/10 (I think hemsworth has potential, but this isn't his way forward).

Child 44

Pretty good film. Good cast and performances. It had quite a long run time but felt like it had been heavily cut. Characters just seemed to teleport from one location to another. It needed more time to improve the pacing and make a few of the scenes make sense. Also having actors speak English with a 'Russian' accent was distracting and unconvincing.

6/10

Assassins Crud..... lol out of 10.

AS someone who has played all the games... how did Ubisoft approve this movie script(or, did they write it, then take it to a studio?). It flies in the face of everything that is Assassin's Creed, the constant moving in and out of the past is hilariously awful, does nothing for the film except make it seem worse and is just laughable.

I'm not sure films based on games have ever had any involvement by the developers/writers of the actual games. It would certainly explain a lot.

I found a little Norwegian gem on Amazon last night called The Wave. It's subtitled, but easy to follow. About a tsunami in a little Norwegian town. It was excellent. Good acting, good effects and very tense at times, with real feels at times. I really felt it put most so called Hollywood disaster blockbusters to shame. It slowed down a bit towards the end, but I can forgive that. I think it's an unavoidable factor in disaster films. The audience really are most interested in the tense build up to a disaster and and the event itself. The aftermath always seems a little flat in comparison.

Overall though, a great film and easily the best tsunami film I've ever seen. Even more chilling as the danger of a tsunami inducing rockslide is a real life situation in this particular place in Norway, and most scientists agree that this actual event will happen one day. Solid 8/10 for me.

Not so serious this weekend.

Eagle Eye, Green Lantern. Eagle Eye is a half decent thrill ride till it reveals itself, Lantern ain't nearly as bad if you compare it to marvels recent drop in quality.

Both are fantasy, sometimes a good thing.

xXx - Return of Xander Cage - it was entertaining but definitely switch off the brain pop corn flick. Realy really cheesy at times. Thought Donnie Yen was a better character than Xander himself :p. Overall 6/10 seems a fair rating.

Dear God!!
I rtekon you must be under 17. I think this film was made for a generation of (no offence) mindless phone idiots. It's one of the worst films I have ever seen. That's not in a small list too, I have seen pretty much everything from the 80s onwards.
This pile of turd was made by very very lazy writers who have been told by their producer, just make anything we will get loads of money from bringing back the francise no matter what.Cliche lines every few minutes, awful CGI throughout terrible terrible storyline, ham acting you name it this has got it.
I was laughing so hard at it, not because it was funny but because it was almost so bad it was good, but it wasn't, it really wasn't.

1/10

Doctor Strange - 7.5/10 - not bad. Cumberbatch OK and Tilda Swinton is always great to watch.

LA Confidential - 9/10 - outstanding. Haven't seen this in years. Pearce, Crowe, Spacey, Cromwell and Basinger are all brilliant in this, and it's beautifully shot.

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find them

Well I found it boring at times to be honest. So much potential but the storey line just seemed week.

Redmayne was great (as he was in Theory of Everything) and I will watch the next one as I think he's worth watching again just hope the next one has a better script.

Good CGI still doesn't make a film.

5.5/10

Back
Top Bottom