What film did you watch last night?

Associate
Kong:skull island

Entertaining action movie, doesn't pretend to be anything more and is very enjoyable for it. Special effects are well done and actors play there roles well (although Imho Sam L Jackson just seems to be Sam L Jackson, if you know what I mean).

8/10

Ps there are after credits scenes setting up the next movie. I only found this out after I left without seeing them.

Caporegime
Logen. 8.5/10

I went to the cinema 3x this week and I'm glad i left the best to last.

Everyone is very good, good little story.
No after credits scene if you wondering lol. I found the last 15 mins a little underwhelming compared to the build up. Very gory.

Soldato
Had a day at the flicks yesterday and watched:-

Kong Skull Island - Was ok and quite enjoyed the film overall, felt Samuel L Jackson spoilt it though with such an OTT character (and I normally love Sam in films) 7/10

Logan - So slow the fact that Wolverine had become Hancock was a real annoyance to me, worst Marvel film I have seen in a long time 4/10

Soldato
Kong:skull island

Entertaining action movie, doesn't pretend to be anything more and is very enjoyable for it. Special effects are well done and actors play there roles well (although Imho Sam L Jackson just seems to be Sam L Jackson, if you know what I mean).

8/10

Ps there are after credits scenes setting up the next movie. I only found this out after I left without seeing them.

Yeah, our showing had a nearly full cinema, only 5 of us waited until the end.

Soldato
Jack Reacher - 7/10. Wasn't bad, something different to spooks etc, but still, some of the stuff he got up to as a MP - lol. Best line:

Detective Emerson: So what does an Army cop do, mostly? Break up bar fights?
Jack Reacher: I did what you do pretty much, with one minor difference.
Emerson: What's that?
Reacher: Every suspect was a trained killer.

Bwaaaaah!!!!!

Jack Reacher 2 - 6/10. So many Military Police errors and even more of Toms cringe worthy dialogue.

Underworld Blood Wars - 7/10. A couple of good action scenes, but i caught myself on my phone a couple of times due to boredom.

Last edited:
Soldato
I found a little Norwegian gem on Amazon last night called The Wave. It's subtitled, but easy to follow. About a tsunami in a little Norwegian town. It was excellent. Good acting, good effects and very tense at times, with real feels at times. I really felt it put most so called Hollywood disaster blockbusters to shame. It slowed down a bit towards the end, but I can forgive that. I think it's an unavoidable factor in disaster films. The audience really are most interested in the tense build up to a disaster and and the event itself. The aftermath always seems a little flat in comparison.

Overall though, a great film and easily the best tsunami film I've ever seen. Even more chilling as the danger of a tsunami inducing rockslide is a real life situation in this particular place in Norway, and most scientists agree that this actual event will happen one day. Solid 8/10 for me.

Yes, I've seen this film, very good indeed i thought.

Like you say, better than most hollywood disaster films.

Commissario
We went to watch King Kong: Skull Island and I'd give it a good 7/10, it was nicely shot and paced with some great visuals and reasonable story.
It worked well on the Imax :)

The post credits sequence seems to be hinting at what's going to happen in the future :)

Man of Honour
I found a little Norwegian gem on Amazon last night called The Wave. It's subtitled, but easy to follow. About a tsunami in a little Norwegian town. It was excellent. Good acting, good effects and very tense at times, with real feels at times. I really felt it put most so called Hollywood disaster blockbusters to shame. It slowed down a bit towards the end, but I can forgive that. I think it's an unavoidable factor in disaster films. The audience really are most interested in the tense build up to a disaster and and the event itself. The aftermath always seems a little flat in comparison.

Overall though, a great film and easily the best tsunami film I've ever seen. Even more chilling as the danger of a tsunami inducing rockslide is a real life situation in this particular place in Norway, and most scientists agree that this actual event will happen one day. Solid 8/10 for me.

Thanks for the recommendation. I just watched it and it was very good indeed.

Soldato
Watch Kong last night.

Storyline and dialogue - not great
Acting - OK I suppose
CGI and action scenes - pretty bloody fantastic

I'll give this a 7.5/10 even though I don't normally like films with no good storyline or dialogue, even though Samuel. L's character really grated on me. I know he's supposed to annoy you as the stubborn headed not-so-villainous villain, but he (the character, not the actor) exemplified the total lack of character depth in the whole film.

Caporegime
Kong: Skull Island

Better than I thought it was going to be. Rather enjoyed it.

7/10

I'd give it 5/10.

It was enjoyable as a mindless action movie but with Tom Hiddleston, Bre Larsson and John Goodman and Sam L Jackson I expected better dialogue, script and material. Some of Hiddleston's dialogue was just awful and there were moments I went WTF. Like where on earth did that Tripod come from?!

I'll forget this tomorrow.

Associate
Free Fire

At around the half way mark I would have given this a good 8/10 but the second half was the same as the first; nothing new happens.

Sharlto Copley and Armie Hammer were the stand outs in an all around good cast.

6/10

Back
Top Bottom