What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
Elle

French language film directed by Paul Verhoeven. It was well shot with excellent performances. I found the subjectivity of it thought provoking - I find many films either don't do that or wait until the very end to make you question what you just watched.

7/10

Don
Logan 7/10
Not really what to make of this, kind of dragged a bit at times. Certainly depressing to see Prof X and Logan the way they were, and relentlessly grim and dark and I think the ending let it down.

Caporegime
Beauty and the Beast (2017)

It's good! It hits most of the notes that in set out to do. The music is good, the story works and still has the feeling of the original in some of the key scenes, however it is a little long, it is 2 hours long. The audience I was with loved it though, i heard some crying, some people clapped in the end. Emma Watson is hit and miss. I think it's a hit most of the time but of course she will forever be compared to its cartoon character, which is a little unfair as she can sing in this and she can act.

The down side is it is VERY CGI heavy, at times I thought this is a animation, especially when there are no humans in the scene. Whereas with King Kong I believed Kong is real, the beast in this felt fake half the time.

8/10

Caporegime
We watched Room this evening. It was brilliant. Absolutely excellent. Great performances by the two leads. Not a lot to say about it, save that it was great.

Last night we watched a random Dutch film that my wife found on Now TV called The Surprise. It's about a ludicrously wealthy aristocrat who wants to kill himself but can't seem to find a quiet moment to get the job done. He happens upon a weird assisted suicide agency who offer a service whereby you will be killed at some unspecified time in the near future in an apparent accident or somesuch, this being the eponymous "surprise". While at their offices he meets a pretty young lady who is after the same service. They fall in love and hilarity ensues. There's a plot twist which is easy to spot as it is, but in case it weren't obvious enough the poster gives it away. It was... ok. There's a few funny bits but it's fairly insubstantial overall. It's in like three languages as well so subtitles a go go.

Caporegime
I found a little Norwegian gem on Amazon last night called The Wave. It's subtitled, but easy to follow. About a tsunami in a little Norwegian town. It was excellent. Good acting, good effects and very tense at times, with real feels at times. I really felt it put most so called Hollywood disaster blockbusters to shame. It slowed down a bit towards the end, but I can forgive that. I think it's an unavoidable factor in disaster films. The audience really are most interested in the tense build up to a disaster and and the event itself. The aftermath always seems a little flat in comparison.

Overall though, a great film and easily the best tsunami film I've ever seen. Even more chilling as the danger of a tsunami inducing rockslide is a real life situation in this particular place in Norway, and most scientists agree that this actual event will happen one day. Solid 8/10 for me.

Have to agree, Great movie.

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
I'd give it 5/10.

It was enjoyable as a mindless action movie but with Tom Hiddleston, Bre Larsson and John Goodman and Sam L Jackson I expected better dialogue, script and material. Some of Hiddleston's dialogue was just awful and there were moments I went WTF. Like where on earth did that Tripod come from?!

I'll forget this tomorrow.

It is better than La La Land :D j/k

I liked it, it is mindless voilence with poor dialogue and real lack of substance in the story but it's a monster movie flick which imo can get away with it. The effects were top notch. I was expecting Samuel to
end up like he did in the Deep Blue Sea.

Glad you guys mentioned the post credit scenes which was interesting. 8/10. Enjoyed it :D

Emma Watson is hit and miss. I think it's a hit most of the time but of course she will forever be compared to its cartoon character, which is a little unfair as she can sing in this and she can act.

Can she actually sing and more importantly do it justice?? Belle has a strong voice which my initial impression towards Emma was a miscast.

Soldato
Beauty and the Beast Remake

Saw this tonight as its my gf's favourite film

Was pleasantly surprised thought it was very good, emma Watson is great and has a great voice

Was lots of clapping at the end

8/10

Caporegime
It is better than La La Land :D j/k

I liked it, it is mindless voilence with poor dialogue and real lack of substance in the story but it's a monster movie flick which imo can get away with it. The effects were top notch. I was expecting Samuel to
end up like he did in the Deep Blue Sea.

Glad you guys mentioned the post credit scenes which was interesting. 8/10. Enjoyed it :D

Can she actually sing and more importantly do it justice?? Belle has a strong voice which my initial impression towards Emma was a miscast.

She can sing well enough, like Emma Stone can sing in La La Land well. It's certainly not going to knock you side ways. Watson passes being a Belle, is she the perfect choice? No. Can I think of someone in their 20's off my head? Also...No. This movie is set in France and all the different accent actually had me confused a little at times.

One thing of note, the original Disney animation was Best Picture Oscar nominated. This is not at that level, not even close, even though it is the same story, same music, mostly.

I did enjoy it though, the dancing ball room scene when he arrive was nice, that titled theme tune hit the mark. The problem I think the more in analyse this movie, the more I compare it to the original and the less I like it! I might knock it down to a 7 because I keep finding flaws. Although I did enjoy it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Schindler's List

It doesn't matter how many times you've seen this film or how much you prepare yourself for it... From the absolutely frightening shower scene, to Schindler breaking down near the end, it will never fail to ruin you emotionally. If there's one film that should be shown to everyone during school, it's definitely this.

A real masterpiece.
Absolutely. The other half hasn't seen it and wants to, it's certainly one of the best films.

Soldato
Alien - 8/10
Aliens - 8/10
Alien 3 - 6/10
Alien Resurrection - 6/10

Actually preferred resurrection for gore as it was a lot more violent and graphic but the story was poor.

Caporegime

The lady who played Belle in 1991 was 35 at the time and was an established broadway star. Her age would obviously not have been an issue for an animated film. You'd struggle to find someone who could sing that well and act that well and be the right age and look pretty and be a big name draw.

Soldato
Heat - Pacino and De Niro
One of the best films ever made. All star cast, fantastic cinematography and the best sound I have ever heard on film. Yes, 'that' scene. It oozes style. The sound of the gun shots echoing around the streets, it just brings a massive smile to my face. I even told my wife to be quiet whilst that scene was on. She seemed impressed too as she has never seen it before so I think a re-watch is in order from the beginning as she only came home during that bit.

A few of my favourite scenes in no particular order:
The shape charge setup on the security van and robbery. Totally quiet, music to keep you on your toes. On a clock. Great stuff.
Tom Sizemore looking over the shoulder at the diner customer. Don't mess.....
Kelsos porch-looking down at the traffic into Downtown LA. Peaceful location but a vision away from the bustle of the commute.
Vincent chasing Neil before the restaurant chat.
Restaurant chat. (I am sure that was done on the fly (improvised))
plenty more but those are my stand out moments.

Back
Top Bottom