What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
Heat - Pacino and De Niro
One of the best films ever made. All star cast, fantastic cinematography and the best sound I have ever heard on film. Yes, 'that' scene. It oozes style. The sound of the gun shots echoing around the streets, it just brings a massive smile to my face. I even told my wife to be quiet whilst that scene was on. She seemed impressed too as she has never seen it before so I think a re-watch is in order from the beginning as she only came home during that bit.

A few of my favourite scenes in no particular order:
The shape charge setup on the security van and robbery. Totally quiet, music to keep you on your toes. On a clock. Great stuff.
Tom Sizemore looking over the shoulder at the diner customer. Don't mess.....
Kelsos porch-looking down at the traffic into Downtown LA. Peaceful location but a vision away from the bustle of the commute.
Vincent chasing Neil before the restaurant chat.
Restaurant chat. (I am sure that was done on the fly (improvised))
plenty more but those are my stand out moments.

Caporegime
Emma Watson turned down La La Land due to beast commitments Emma Stone was second choice.

I read slightly different, instead of Emma Watson turned down La La Land, she made impossible demands like wanting to shoot the La La Land in London...in a movie set in LA with lots of LA exterior shots.

But Emma Stone is 2nd choice (or at least 2nd choice) for La La Land.

Associate
Get Out (2017) - 6/10

A serviceable and entertaining horror film with some sinister moments and some funny moments.

Very predictable story and events, as the almost immediate awkwardness from the characters gives a lot of the mystery away, but there are still some good clues and a tidy, if somewhat convenient, ending.

I think it should have done more with the imagery, psychological mind games and potentially deep-rooted racism aspects of the plot.

Soldato
Logan -- 8/10

Jackman and Stewart just work. I took a point off for some redonk child violence, plus another for some inserted, out-of-universe techno doom and gloom. Some moving moments, which I learned later were improv - nice. The story more or less hung together; props for de-campifying what could be a very campy franchise, with plenty of timelines! On the sidelines, a good contemplation on age, life and purpose. For all his faults, Logan was there at the end. :)

Soldato
Ghostbusters (2016) - 6/10

Managed to finally watch this after it appeared on NowTV. It's hard to not compare this to the original film, which I love to this day. The 2016 version wasn't a bad film but it also wasn't a great film. I don't like how the film was adapted to be a comedy. While the original has it's comedy throughout the film, it isn't and doesn't feel like everythings a joke. Great visual effects was used though and it was nice with the original cast making appearances.

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
Get Out (2017) - 6/10

A serviceable and entertaining horror film with some sinister moments and some funny moments.

Very predictable story and events, as the almost immediate awkwardness from the characters gives a lot of the mystery away, but there are still some good clues and a tidy, if somewhat convenient, ending.

I think it should have done more with the imagery, psychological mind games and potentially deep-rooted racism aspects of the plot.

I agree it was a lot less subtle on how they moved the plot along and a bit crude on the final delivery. Still enjoyed it but at least the ending was satisfying. 7/10

Caporegime
Ghostbusters (2016) - 6/10

Managed to finally watch this after it appeared on NowTV. It's hard to not compare this to the original film, which I love to this day. The 2016 version wasn't a bad film but it also wasn't a great film. I don't like how the film was adapted to be a comedy. While the original has it's comedy throughout the film, it isn't and doesn't feel like everythings a joke. Great visual effects was used though and it was nice with the original cast making appearances.

I'll say that I vastly disagree with your rating of it, I thought it was utterly dire. But I agree strongly on how the film was made. The original Ghostbusters is funny, but it's not a comedy. Delivery of lines, acting, faces they pull are all funny but there aren't many specific jokes written into it. They find funny parts within the writing but they don't effectively tell one liners throughout. That is where the new film fails miserably, it's not a film which finds comedic moments through good writing, it's like a bad overly long SNL sketch where every scene, the entire plot and every actor is there to tell a series of jokes like a long stand up set.

The biggest issue is it's mostly one terrible joke after another, with a badly written plot linking one joke to another. Even if they just wrote a good plot then tried to fit jokes into the script to add more comedy, but it's the other way around, here is a list of silly jokes we can think to do within this context, now write a bad script to link them together.

I think everyone is bad in it, it's badly written, it's not funny and it's racist and sexist to boot.

Soldato
^ I watched it earlier and I'd have to agree, I just couldn't describe it. It feels like forced comedy but these days I think its tailored to the target audience that presumably struggle to work out where the funny bits are (I did in this remake...or is it a reboot?) and the clever comedy Ackroyd, Murray and Ramis delivered is hard to find in modern films.

Don
Lucy 4/10
What the hell did I just watch?

I won't bother putting this into spoilers (how can I spoil it more!).

SJ takes drugs, her mind expands such that she can control space and time (!) and gets in touch with MF to tell him she will be able to know everything there is to know.

MF - It would be handy if you could give me that info.
SJ - Fair enough, I'll head to France

On the way she kicks ass and she enlists the help of a French cop.

SJ - I still need your help
FC - You completely defeated a dozen baddies without breaking a sweat, there's not really much else you could need from me
SJ kisses FC
FC now with the perceived offer of sex (with a crazy women!) - sure I'll help

SJ meets up with MF and turns to black goo and then transforms into a computer. After a bit of time travel or something the computer "hands" MF a USB stick.

FC enters the room having dispatched the baddie boss and realises he isn't going to get any.

Effects were decent enough and the action sequences were ok so 4 is reasonable.

Man of Honour
Logan
8/10
Loved it.

Lego Batman
7/10
I didnt want to go to this but my son wanted to. However it wasn't as bad as expected and certainly better than the last Lego film.

Soldato
Get Out...most horror as hyped as this ends up being utter rubbish (Babadook, i'm looking at you)

However while relatively predictable and neatly wrapped up, thought it was excellent throughout. The build up and tension was well paced, could have done without the comic relief friend.

It uses a few ideas from other horrors, it's done well without feeling contrived.

Skeleton Key sprung to mind during the 3rd act reveals

Also from a first time director, would like to see what else he can offer.

8/10

Associate
Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone

My 7yo Daughter has never seen these and since Mrs Punt was out last night, we had a movie night. We both enjoyed it and are planning the next one. They do get quite dark in the later movies but I'm sure she'll be fine.

Back
Top Bottom