What film did you watch last night?

Caporegime
I read slightly different, instead of Emma Watson turned down La La Land, she made impossible demands like wanting to shoot the La La Land in London...in a movie set in LA with lots of LA exterior shots.

But Emma Stone is 2nd choice (or at least 2nd choice) for La La Land.

Interesting...Do actors like her have that much clout?

Soldato
Just noticed they are repeating Wild Tales on Film 4 @23:40
was on a couple of weeks back, includes a great short : effectively what would have happened in Stephen Kings's Duel,
if they had got up close and personal.
All of the stories keep your attention.

EDIT - doh I meant Stepen Spielberg

Last edited:
Caporegime
Oops yeah...Never thought about that :p

Not sure how she thinks she can even demand that though. La La Land, at the time, was Chapelle's 2nd picture (or 3rd if you count his student film), and the budget for the movie was only like 30 million, so it's not like they can afford to cast a real A-List star so have to cast the up and coming ones instead.

Strange thing is that from what I read, Watson tried her longest to stay normal, from taking the Tube in London for the longest time and actually went to University for 4 years, albeit in a private Ivy League.

Anyway, I guess it all works out in the end. I don't think Watson would've worked out in La La Land, you can hear her English accident in Beauty and the Beast and that wouldn't work for the character in La La Land, unless they change the character and the script to suit her.

Caporegime
Not sure how she thinks she can even demand that though. La La Land, at the time, was Chapelle's 2nd picture (or 3rd if you count his student film), and the budget for the movie was only like 30 million, so it's not like they can afford to cast a real A-List star so have to cast the up and coming ones instead.

Strange thing is that from what I read, Watson tried her longest to stay normal, from taking the Tube in London for the longest time and actually went to University for 4 years, albeit in a private Ivy League.

Anyway, I guess it all works out in the end. I don't think Watson would've worked out in La La Land, you can hear her English accident in Beauty and the Beast and that wouldn't work for the character in La La Land, unless they change the character and the script to suit her.

I'm not a massive fan of Watson TBH... Stone is far more watchable and quirky I guess...:)

Permabanned
Logan

Really, really, really enjoyed it. Told a really great story in a relatively concise and clean way. Pacing was top notch and all the central performances where superb. Really was a role Jackman was born to play. Only thing I didn't like was the mish mash of antagonists, two of which where superbly unthreatening and bland.

Utilised it's 15 certificate to much better effect then Deadpool if you ask me. Then again, I don't think you could pick a more appropriate hero then Wolverine to have that certificate whacked on.

Soldato
Watched a host of supposed blockbusters recently.....

The Great Wall 6/10 (being generous!)

I normally lap this kind of film up. However i didnt like the fact that everyone played 2nd and 3rd fiddle to the mighty Matt Damon (who was **** tbh). Good stuff. Special effects, cinematography, costume and some of the fight scenes were decent. Story was very very meh. White westerner saves the day. Cliched crap. Film felt like a massive ad for Matt Damon at times.

I soooooooooooo wish that the queen would have bit off MD's head and Andy Lau aka the great Detective Dee would spring into action. Very underused roles from him and Willem Dafoe.

next we have ....

Rogue One 6.8/10

Well i was expecting a great film going by the amount of praise it gets from here and everywhere. I would class it as competent. It gets the job done. It tells the story of the death star and how they got the plans blah blah. As expected very very good space battle scenes, great cinematography, special effects cant fault them. Though it would be v hard to balls this up as they have done this plenty of times before in prev SW films.

Music is only good in parts unfortunately. They seem to not want to use a lot of the classic SW themes for some reason. My main problem with this film is unfortunately the characters and the story. A fair few big names who dont do diddly squat except show up and recite a few lines. You have got bloody IP MAN in this
and he gets taken out by a storm trooper pistol blast wtf...
I was expecting Vader to come in a tad earlier to deal with the crack team of rogue one.

Donnie Yen - had a couple of lines and a couple of decent fights against stormtroopers - very minimalist role. Wasted.....

Forest Whitaker - did nothing, except try to look badass for a couple of seconds. Has maybe 3 lines in the film
before he is killed

Mads Mikkelsen - he did alright imo for his role i think he had about the right amount of screen time.

Diego Luna and Felicity Jones - basically the two main protagonists (i know Felicity is the main blah blah) they have the most screen time and most time spent on fleshing out their backstories characters blah. They were decent enough nothing spectacular.

Best of the entire ****** bunch was K-2SO. I gave the film an extra 1.5 points for his efforts alone. He had all the best lines in the film.
Sad he also got shot to bits by noname stormtroopers as well

Vader/James Earl Jones was good enough though some of his dialogue did not fit him imo but the action scenes with him were alright. He just should have been brought in sooner.

As a story which ties up the missing stuff from how the rebels got the death star plans etc etc it does its job but the only character i really cared about was K-2SO. Rest were mostly very wooden and cardboard cut outs.

No name stormtroopers 1 - 0 rogue one

next up....

LOGAN 7.2/10

If anyone wants a sum up of this film just say "Bloodfather without the adamantium claws" because thats what it is. Another forgettable storyline. Quite a sad film though like Bloodfather imo (i enjoyed Bloodfather as well though). Jackman and Stewart were pretty good in this though. crap story though. Well the mutants certainly got ****** over didnt they eh? Poor Professor X holy crap.....
Just felt we had seen this all before....dont really think it was a fitting way to end Jackman's wolverine but i guess it could have been worse.

Ive been increasingly disappointed with the story elements of blockbusters recently....no depth or subtlety :(

Soldato
oh yeah also watched

XXX - Return of Xander Cage. 2/10

This wasnt a film ...this was one long ass trailer with a lot of cameos. 2 points for Donnie Yen and Tony Jaa. Luckily it is a very forgettable film.

Soldato
Just noticed they are repeating Wild Tales on Film 4 @23:40
was on a couple of weeks back, includes a great short : effectively what would have happened in Stephen Kings's Duel,
if they had got up close and personal.
All of the stories keep your attention.

Would definitely recommend this for a good watch.

Back
Top Bottom