What film did you watch last night?

Man of Honour
Just watched the latest resident evil - probably going to rate that as one of the worst if not the worst movies I've ever seen - based on the first one being up there with the better movies I've seen and the level of experience, etc. the people involved have - the camera work was dire - I've seen bad camera work due to inexperience but this can't be excused as that - it literally makes it impossible to follow what is going on it chops and changes and zooms in and out so much and so quickly and the writing beyond terrible - they aren't even trying its laughably poor.

The CGI on Leia at the end was woeful, looked waxy and incredibly artificial. Tarkin went from moments where you believed it was a genuine actor to last gen PC graphics.

Yeah though it wasn't a bad attempt the skin on both looked slightly waxy which on its own didn't clue me in but the specular highlights weren't good enough - which is a bit of a tricky one as if you tone them down it tends to look like PC graphics and if you turn them up it looks fake unless you get the lighting and skin simulation bang on.

Last edited:
Soldato
Finally got round to watching Rogue One after seeing so many glowing reviews of it and I can honestly say I was massively underwhelmed!

Putting aside the fact that it has no storyline connection to the last "new" film, I didn't find the main plot even remotely interesting due to the fact that anyone who has seen A New hope, which let's face it, is everyone who has any interest in seeing this film, knows precisely how it was going to end!

As a standalone spectacle it was passable I guess but making films out of sequence will always be predictable!

Better not watch Titanic then :rolleyes:

Soldato
Better not watch Titanic then :rolleyes:

It just wasn't for me I guess - there is a difference between knowing the general plot of the film (ie. Titanic wasn't just about the boat sinking, there were character storylines intertwined) - I just found Rogue One boring because you knew exactly how it was going to end and none of the characters had any depth to them!

In all fairness though, I guess there was no point investing time building characters when 98% of them are going to be 6 feet under anyway!

Man of Honour
It just wasn't for me I guess - there is a difference between knowing the general plot of the film (ie. Titanic wasn't just about the boat sinking, there were character storylines intertwined) - I just found Rogue One boring because you knew exactly how it was going to end and none of the characters had any depth to them!

In all fairness though, I guess there was no point investing time building characters when 98% of them are going to be 6 feet under anyway!

I think it is more 6 million different pieces than 6 feet under :p

I kind of get what you mean - I didn't find the characters too bad though - I thought the first half was mostly strong the last half felt a bit rushed and too much style over substance - if they'd had half the visuals and twice the writing it would have been 10x the movie. Didn't mind knowing where it was headed as they did a good job of bringing the aesthetic of the starwars universe to life and it was nice it didn't have quite the happy predictable ending that so many movies have of late.

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
Life (2016)

Horror thriller about an alien and what could happen if we discover life.

Plenty of tense moment, actually logical decision from the crew and a good ending! The acting was good from the entire cast and the CGI was terrific, the alien is all CGI CGI but it has good texture, shading and even weight when it called for it. The only down side is the characters are a little one dimensional, nobody was given more than a 2 line background of who they are and what are their motivator and roles. Just enough I guess to service the role, it's a minor gripe as too much of this will slow the movie down.

Overall, I give it a 8/10.

Totally agree I couldn't believe it really gave Alien a run for its money. In some aspects it topped it in certain areas using every trick in the book. It really gave you a sense of dread and menace. Thoroughly enjoyed it. 09/10.

Soldato
Life (2016)

Horror thriller about an alien and what could happen if we discover life.

Plenty of tense moment, actually logical decision from the crew and a good ending! The acting was good from the entire cast and the CGI was terrific, the alien is all CGI CGI but it has good texture, shading and even weight when it called for it. The only down side is the characters are a little one dimensional, nobody was given more than a 2 line background of who they are and what are their motivator and roles. Just enough I guess to service the role, it's a minor gripe as too much of this will slow the movie down.

Overall, I give it a 8/10.

Wow. That's incredibly generous. It's by the numbers filmmaking all the way. 5/10 at most and incredibly predictable. Main actors phoning it in all the way. Some pretty dumb decisions made by some of them too.

Soldato
Totally agree I couldn't believe it really gave Alien a run for its money. In some aspects it topped it in certain areas using every trick in the book. It really gave you a sense of dread and menace. Thoroughly enjoyed it. 09/10.

Don't be silly. Gave Alien a run for it's money?! Not even close dude. I suggest you rewatch Alien!

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
Wow. That's incredibly generous. It's by the numbers filmmaking all the way. 5/10 at most and incredibly predictable. Main actors phoning it in all the way. Some pretty dumb decisions made by some of them too.

Have you even watched the movie? or are just going off on some Alien mental tantrum lol, like virtually every movie there are flaws and predictability, Alien had them too :rolleyes:

It borrows everything. Nothing in it is new.

Wow what a reaction lol. No one said it was original and as I mention every trick in the book, it has taken aspects of other successful movies and made a good movie.

Soldato
Have you even watched the movie? or are just going off on some Alien mental tantrum lol, like virtually every movie there are flaws and predictability, Alien had them too :rolleyes:

Wow what a reaction lol. No one said it was original and as I mention every trick in the book, it has taken aspects of other successful movies and made a good movie.

Oh dear. Well, when I sit down to watch a movie that borrows from everything before it...including the predictable ending...i find it hard to enjoy and rate as highly as you seem to. Anyway, you have no argument here...just 'lol' away.

Associate
Resident Evil: The Final Chapter

I'm usually OK with this sort of rubbish, turn my brain off and let it wash over me. But my god, this was bad. So many edits, possibly trying to make it a bit more exciting, doing nothing more than giving me a headache. One thing this movie does, and does it very well, is reaffirm my hatred for Paul W S Anderson's work.

I can't even bump the score for Milla, she's starting to look old.

2/10

Back
Top Bottom