What film did you watch last night?

Associate
Underworld: Blood Wars

Following on from my less than impressive Resident Evil viewing, this just as bad! It's shortness (90mins-ish) was the reason I started it. In all fairness, it may have gotten better in the second half but I got bored and started doing other things with this playing in the background.

3/10 - I've stuck on a bonus point for a PVC clad Kate Beckinsdale!

Note to self; must stop watching **** films!

Soldato
Train to busan

I marginally prefer it to girl with all the gifts, though both different zombie films, both well acted and both somehow felt flawed.

I'd say about 8.3724/10

Man of Honour
Really unlucky :eek: you must have watched, (for me too) the most disappointing and ultimately worst follow ups Ever in a row. And generally I liked these types of movies.

LOL yeah I knew the underworld one is utterly dire so didn't waste my time on it fortunately but I kind of hoped for something from RE - I was wrong. You can literally skip to about 1 hour 10 minutes or so into the latest resident evil movie and you'll have missed nothing (and saved yourself a lot) - the concept of how it ties up the first movie is kind of interesting though the execution is utterly flawed.

Caporegime
LOL yeah I knew the underworld one is utterly dire so didn't waste my time on it fortunately but I kind of hoped for something from RE - I was wrong. You can literally skip to about 1 hour 10 minutes or so into the latest resident evil movie and you'll have missed nothing (and saved yourself a lot) - the concept of how it ties up the first movie is kind of interesting though the execution is utterly flawed.

Can you not turn your brain off and enjoy it? Weirdly Kermode gave it an acceptable review.

Man of Honour
Not a chance the camera is all over the place like it was filmed by someone with some kind of hyperactivity problem (just the best way I can describe it) and there is so much that simply doesn't add up in the writing it is impossible to get past.

Soldato
There's only so much action you can think of. Same problem with conflict resolution in games. Yawn! I love the contrived plots though. On a meta level it's very boss how someone can earn money writing these flicks one after the other. :p

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
Can you not turn your brain off and enjoy it? Weirdly Kermode gave it an acceptable review.

Personally it wasn't just the flawed story, although it disregards all the previous movies and makes no sense. My biggest dislike was the way it was shot and executed. Even for me it was literally a giant mess and would leave you wondering wtf just happened. The editing was atrocious, in 10 seconds there would be 50 camera angle switches for one shot and this would last the entire movie. Which would leave you the choice of a epileptic fit or massive car crash headache.

Really really disappointing considering I was a big fan. I would not recommend this flop which is something I don't do very often from a franchise I liked. It was so bad imo in comparison Trump has done a better job of in his presidency than Paul W Anderson has done on directing/editing this movie, and most know my opinions on Trump. :D

Last edited:
Associate

I usually can, but I reckon that'll only go so far. These were way past that point :)

I also noticed in both movies I watched, there was a few minutes of explanation/exposition at the beginning, maybe that's something to look out for; if they can't tell the story in the story then perhaps the story isn't worth telling in the first place? Not a rule, but a warning.

Soldato
Get Out: Really enjoyed it. Decent, solid suspense movie. 7/10
Manchester by the Sea: Not for everyone, but I thought this was great. Poignant, well acted and totally worth a watch. 8/10

Soldato
Ghostbusters - was apprehensive about this, not because of ladies or anything like that, just because the original is so good. This did not live up to it but I think we all new that, I didn't like it as I thought it took too long to get going and the inexplicable fact that the kooky blonde one can make technology that no one has even contemplated before in a few hours out of stuff from a skip. Anyway, I did like the cameos. 2/5

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
Resident Evil: The Final Chapter.

Utter, utter *****.

Just no redeeming features. A complete mess of a film.

1/10

The 1 is for the simple fact its the last film which means I won't have to sit through any more nonsense hoping for something even near the first one.

There are already rumours it will be rebooted but hopefully not with P.W Anderson.

Caporegime
Passengers 7.5/10 - I actually enjoyed it! I am not sure if it's because I went in expecting a love story/drama after reading reviews on here or what but it exactly met my expectations, therefore I enjoyed it! What was quite a refreshing change was to see Christ Pratt not being the insta-hero like he is in every other movie. How he panics, barely holds it together, how he deals with the loneliness etc. JL is always delicious to see on screen as well. Yep, I liked it! :)

Dr Strange 7/10 - I had been wanting to see this for a while. I thought they made him pick up the magic side of it all too quickly for the sake of cramming in more action. But without a doubt the CGI is top notch, the usual witty marvel banter was good. Easy to watch overall :)

Didn't like BC's American accent. But I've seen him in so much now with a strong natural British accent I just find it a bit weird to hear him without it!

L.A. Confidential 8/10 - What a corker of a movie! I've had this in my library for a long time but never got around to seeing it. Then a visiting friend this weekend saw it and insisted we all watch it (as nobody else in the room other than him had seen it) - and my god, I'm glad we did! Guy Pearce, Kevin Spacey & Russell Crowe along with all the other cast were fantastic. The story was excellent and just everything about it is great. A must see!

Back
Top Bottom