What film did you watch last night?

Associate
Focus (2015).

6/10.

Typical strong and convincing Will Smith performance, however the film doesn't quite deliver as you're kept waiting for some big surprise but nothing really materialises.

PayDay Lover
Associate
Beauty and the Beast. Not really going to rate this as it would be incredibly bias - I hate musicals with a passion, so you can imagine how little I would have enjoyed this. My wife really wanted to watch it, and as it was our anniversary I plastered a smile on my face and sat through it without complaint.
To be fair, from a more objective stance, I would say I can see why people would enjoy it - it was well made, it had that Disney feel to it and if you like the original, while this can't hold the same charm as the animation, I would think you would be satisfied with this live version.

Soldato
John Wick 2 7.2/10

Pretty good. Not as good as the first but decent action flick. Though Keanu needs to upp his CQC imo. He does the fireman lift move far too much. Hope the combat gets better by the third. I would like combat to be more "Equilibrium" style maybe. Dunno how the plot is gonna progress but hey ho who watches it for the plot :D

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
Baywatch (2017)

I smiled a few times but didn't laugh at all. Pretty people but silly plot, story, bad CGI and not something you need to see on the big screen. Fun movie yet forgettable.

Is it still worth a watch? I dont mind it being silly as long as it entertaining :)

Soldato
Get Out - 7.5/10. Very creepy and some good jump scare moments. Interesting story and the lead actor and actress were very good. However............

The ending fluffed it a bit for me, as the lead made his escape he starts strangling his g/friend and you think he is about to escape, but then i noticed he still had what looked like the leather straps from his chair appear on his wrists and then the girlfriend seemed to start smiling. I thought at this point we would flash to him been back in the chair or on the operating table and he never escaped at all.

Or perhaps...................

daughter does not realise she has been bringing all the black dudes to the house as she has been hypnotised all along and the shoebox with the photos snaps her into reality and it is both of them trying to escape

Or perhaps.................

yes the mother hypnotised him, but all of this taking his body is self induced and he has actually gone on a murderous rampage and the bit at the end where he is strangling his girlfriend is when he snaps out of it and realises he had murdered the entire family.

Any of these would have been a darker/better ending than his TSA mate driving across state in his work police car (no jurisdiction etc) and saving the day with wise cracks (poor ending to a good film).

v0n

v0n

Soldato
Beauty and the Beast

Emma Watson miscast as she sings very limp :(6/10

Yes, no amount of auto tune can hide that Miss Watson has completely uninteresting voice... On a side note - she ditched La La Land for Beauty & The Beast, not that I rate La La Land, but clearly that decision somewhat misfired...

Beauty and the Beast. Not really going to rate this as it would be incredibly bias - I hate musicals with a passion, so you can imagine how little I would have enjoyed this. My wife really wanted to watch it, and as it was our anniversary I plastered a smile on my face and sat through it without complaint.
To be fair, from a more objective stance, I would say I can see why people would enjoy it - it was well made, it had that Disney feel to it and if you like the original, while this can't hold the same charm as the animation, I would think you would be satisfied with this live version.

My take on it is that Disney's should stop all life action remakes of their cartoons lined up atm and they should wait. At least a decade. Something is going backwards in CGI industry - the effects across the last two years became more ropey instead of progressing. Effects in Beauty and the Beast were two generations worse than Life of Pi and one generation behind Jungle Book, which in its own strength already looks dated. Neither Jungle Book nor Beauty & The Beast shown sensible mocap progress over nearly a decade old Avatar. So the mocap CGI quite simply just isn't quite there yet for Disney to make timeless classics. Those movies will look terrible in few years. There is a technique that marvel universe is using to cover up backwardness and ropeyness of today's CGI - they grade the footage into concrete greyness, they suck the plasticness and life out of the artificial footage to make it as realistic to our eyes as pos. That obviously isn't going to work in fairytales.

What's worse, the plot simplifications we could forgive in old cartoons, no longer apply to modern live action movies - where the whole "Stockholm syndrome" of the plot in the original movie was just a parent to parent joke, it's really jarring and weird to see in 2017 version. There is literally no other psychological basis for the relationship between main characters. Setting French background to lead accents suddenly becomes weird too. Old fashion songs by people with no singing voices. They've burned bridges to the old animated classic and for what? They should have persisted with modern animation, Frozen etc...

Soldato
My take on it is that Disney's should stop all life action remakes of their cartoons lined up atm and they should wait. At least a decade. Something is going backwards in CGI industry - the effects across the last two years became more ropey instead of progressing. Effects in Beauty and the Beast were two generations worse than Life of Pi and one generation behind Jungle Book, which in its own strength already looks dated. Neither Jungle Book nor Beauty & The Beast shown sensible mocap progress over nearly a decade old Avatar. So the mocap CGI quite simply just isn't quite there yet for Disney to make timeless classics. Those movies will look terrible in few years. There is a technique that marvel universe is using to cover up backwardness and ropeyness of today's CGI - they grade the footage into concrete greyness, they suck the plasticness and life out of the artificial footage to make it as realistic to our eyes as pos. That obviously isn't going to work in fairytales.

What's worse, the plot simplifications we could forgive in old cartoons, no longer apply to modern live action movies - where the whole "Stockholm syndrome" of the plot in the original movie was just a parent to parent joke, it's really jarring and weird to see in 2017 version. There is literally no other psychological basis for the relationship between main characters. Setting French background to lead accents suddenly becomes weird too. Old fashion songs by people with no singing voices. They've burned bridges to the old animated classic and for what? They should have persisted with modern animation, Frozen etc...

My wife watched Beauty & The Beast, and her verdict was also "Why did they bother just remaking the cartoon?". I dipped in and out of it as I was around doing things, but I also thought the CGI on the main character was very poor, I guess it comes down to money (as if Disney hasn't got any). It looks like cheap effects have improved, instead of something believable and up to date. I actually said of the Beast "he's no Rocket Raccoon". I also think the whole format of having a story, and then stalling it for five minutes while you sing a mostly forgettable song that would otherwise take thirty seconds of screen time is terribly old fashioned and dated. It's like when movies where just films derived from vaudeville, and every movie had to have song and dance numbers throughout.

Caporegime
Yes, no amount of auto tune can hide that Miss Watson has completely uninteresting voice... On a side note - she ditched La La Land for Beauty & The Beast, not that I rate La La Land, but clearly that decision somewhat misfired...

She didn't ditch La La Land but La La Land ditched her due to her demands which they reluctant to agree, like film the whole movie in London, for a film set in LA, about LA, call La La Land.

Soldato
Wonder Woman

Saw it this afternoon and left the cinema totally gutted. Was hoping for so much more but DC strikes again...POOR writing, some awful casting (everyone other than Gal Gadot and Chris Pine were just terrible), too long, mostly rubbish attempts at humor apart, some standout awful CGI. GUTTED. Wanted it so much more. They say it's the best DC film so far...but that doesn't really mean a lot does it. A few jarring moments that contradict the characters and what they are meant to portray too.

3/4 of the actions scenes were decent, but the end is just trash. 4/10. What a wasted opportunity.

Her accent makes sense (as per point above), so don't worry about that.

Associate
T2 trainspotting - 5/10. Meh. Watched the original before and its soooo much better. T2 just seems empty, a few good scenes but nearly 2 hours of nothingness. Very disapointed in it.

Associate
PotC - Salazaars Revenge. It was alright, few good moments but it felt too dragged out and some of the jokes didn't hit for me. Also didn't see the previous one so had no idea why his ship was in a bottle. Nice corset on the lead actress though :p. 5/10

Caporegime
Live action BatB was utter garbage. The cartoon is a legit masterpiece, but there is so much wrong with the live action version.

Pretty much all the singers in the cartoon had form from Broadway. Gaston was an opera singer FFS! No one in the live action version measures up.

Honestly, I could write a book on why the live action one is terrible.

Back
Top Bottom