What film did you watch last night?

HeX

HeX

Soldato
Transformers : The Last Knight

Just wow. A masterclass in how to ruin a franchise and spit in the face of your fans. I've no idea who the film was aimed at, clearly not kids with the amount of transformers shouting 'mofo' this and 'f-that'. The entire tone of the film was rubbish. The pacing was all over. The storyline was gibberish. Absolutely awful start to finish. They need to put this series to bed, never let Bay near the franchise again, and reboot the whole thing. They need to get whoever wrote the High Moon War/Fall of Cybertron games onboard and make a proper TF movie.

Caporegime
The Good Dinosaur

Much of the CGI is jaw droppingly good and it's got characteristic Pixar charm and quirkiness in places but it lacks the cleverness and knowing wit of Pixar's better movies. Enjoyable and probably good for kids but nowhere near Pixar's usual standards.

6/10

v0n

v0n

Soldato
Baby Driver 7/10 - not going to wax "10 out of 10 - best movie ever" like several of my predecessors, but it is definitely a "Stranger Things" of movies - comes as a surprise, nobody expects it to be decent, turns out good fun and edge of the seat entertainment. The weakest link is main actor, decent but wooden and inexperienced, this flick would go sky high with a best-of-his-generation actor (maybe even actress - why not) at the steering wheel. Definitely worth a watch.

Soldato
Wings of the Apache - Me 9/10, everyone else 3/10 - Sooooooo, this is a kind of a guilty pleasure of mine hence the OTT score and following review so bear that in mind. This is Top Gun with Apache helicopters as the "Good Ole US of A" takes on a South American drug dealers private Air Force in a battle for Truth, Justice and the American Way!!!!!!

Starring Nick Cage (manic/depressed/strange), Tommy Lee Jones (excellent) and Sean Young (secret crush) the film throws away all pretence of being a "serious" film and instead takes the same USA=Good Vs Generic Baddy=Bad pattern set by Top Gun with the script written by someone who thinks 2 dimensions is 1 too many. However they managed to get just the right tone and military jargon right to make Tommy Lee and Sean Young seem like believable US Army pilots however Nick Cage, wow, what a swing and a miss, although I actually love some of his more manic rantings ("I AM THE GREATEST" in the simulator etc) however Tommy Lee massively steals the show for me as the "experienced Instructor setting his new prodigal son pilot on the straight and narrow".

The aerial "dog fights" are extremely well designed and shot and the help of the US Army helps with the feel of the film (I think they thought it could be a recruitment film) but when the film has to use it's own "effects" (when the US Army isn't doing all the work) its very obvious to see the very low budget in action.

So why do I rate it 9/10 - I think it was the perfect film and the perfect time in my life. Like those who saw Top Gun in '86 keep saying the catch phrases years later, I still keep saying all the ones from this film 27 years later such as saying I'm "going full tilt boogie for freedom and justice" when I'm going 100% at something etc, which are utterly stupid and crap lines but they've stuck with me for nearly 30 years so "something", some mysterious X-Factor keeps this movie alive for me. A lot of is down to Tommy Lee, who is just absolutely perfect as a character, his acting, the lines he's given etc which amazes me when I see how the same script guy who got TLJ so right seemed to have such a miss with almost everything Nick Cage did :D

Caporegime
The weakest link is main actor, decent but wooden and inexperienced,

I disagree,

I think his damage at witnessing his parents death and surviving with that guilt comes through

He has been in a few biggish movies (Carrie 2013, Divergent 2014, The fault in our stars 2014, Insurgent 2015 so to say he's inexperienced is dare I say it BS? :p

Soldato
Catwoman

Had never seen this, but heard it was terrible.

It really was.

Awful dialogue, plot, excessive bad CGI, camera constantly drunkenly swooping about, and action scenes further ruined by too-fast editing so you couldn't see what was going on.

Halle Berry looked smoking hot in her catsuit, but it was nonetheless a stupid outfit.

Was actually a bit of a chore to get through.

Soldato
I've not seen many new movie releases or movies recently thought it was great with a few exceptions, so I thought it would be worth asking and see what others think.

what was the last movie you watched and thought it was great.

For me it was - IT (2017)

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Baby Driver

Didn't know what to expect but it was great. Lots of action, drama and plenty of good performances.

Soldato
Goldeneye - Bond goes on a rampage and kills (according to IMDb) 47 people in this film which is a bit excessive for someone who should be more of a scalpel than a sledgehammer, it obviously feared competition from the more action oriented other films of the time. Anyway Pierce was an improvement over Timothy and it flowed well enough but dragged a bit. 3/5

Soldato
Shot caller 7/10
very few comments on this but agree 7/10
it was like another cut on Shawshank redemption, characters and action believable, same grittiness as 'end of duty', absorbing

EDIT : afterthought conversely a great comedy prison movie 'Big Stan' 2007

Last edited:
Associate
Kingdom of Heaven - 7.5/10

Man, this was a long film, it had an intermission! Would have preferred everything in the local languages and subtitled however i enjoyed the overall story.

Back
Top Bottom