What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
(I had not realised director Edgar Wright's pedigree)
For those giving baby driver >8 or so, what mark would they give to Shaun of the Dead / Hot Fuzz - should be worth an 11 or 12 ?

Caporegime
(I had not realised director Edgar Wright's pedigree)
For those giving baby driver >8 or so, what mark would they give to Shaun of the Dead / Hot Fuzz - should be worth an 11 or 12 ?

was

waste of time both of them :)

Agreed, found both of them dull and not funny at all. But then I don't find Simon Pegg or that other guy funny in the slightest. So that could be why, as I did enjoy Scott Pilgrim.

PayDay Lover
Associate
Spiderman Homecoming. 7/10
It was decent enough, not great but an enjoyable watch. The wife didn't mind the film but hated Spiderman and his friend, I can see why, it was an interesting direction to take Peter

Permabanned
IT

Eh. I felt the tone was too messy. I'd laugh and then every bit of tension the film had built up until that point would die and as a result, nothing about it scared me. It had heart, but did very little with it. Pacing felt a little off too.

mother!

Really, really loved it. It's completely divided both critics and audiences and I'm not surprised. You'll either be completely sold or entirely bored by the time the third act starts and trust me, that third act is going to mess some people up. 2 couples in our screening walked towards the end. It's completely allegorical and, depending on what you take in with you, entirely fantastical and likely annoying for some. It's offensive, vicious, hysterical and utterly engaging.

Moonrise Kingdom

Me and the Mrs needed something a little softer after watching 'mother!', so what better then a film from the master of cuddly aesthetics!

Seen this movie more times then I can count. It would be my favourite of Anderson's if it weren't for Grand Budapest Hotel. Mrs loved it too. How could she not!

Soldato
Transformers : The Last Knight

Just wow. A masterclass in how to ruin a franchise and spit in the face of your fans. I've no idea who the film was aimed at, clearly not kids with the amount of transformers shouting 'mofo' this and 'f-that'. The entire tone of the film was rubbish. The pacing was all over. The storyline was gibberish. Absolutely awful start to finish. They need to put this series to bed, never let Bay near the franchise again, and reboot the whole thing. They need to get whoever wrote the High Moon War/Fall of Cybertron games onboard and make a proper TF movie.

To be fair though, they are all pretty terrible films :p

Soldato
I watched The Handmaiden at the weekend.

Really enjoyed it. I hadn't read into it at all so was a complete surprise and I'm glad it was.

I definitely recommend it, a brilliant film and one of my favourites from 2016.

9/10

Soldato
I actually quite enjoyed the first one, it was a decent action, brain out explosion fest that kept characters close to their cartoon personalities and had a storyline that at least tried to make sense. Everything after that went downhill fast.

To be fair, the first one was an entertaining if brain dead CGI fest.

The others though? Dear god, absolutely awful films.

I did watch the second one too, but none of the others. I guess I can't really comment on the ones I haven't seen, but I am reliably informed they only went downhill.

Caporegime
The big sick. 6.5/10

Rom com. Cross cultural dating snoozefest.
Maybe for your average American this might be edgy but after growing up in London surrounded in different cultures, especially Pakistanis, I just found the joke material meh. Isis jokes a 9/11 joke meh... Really meh, it had a few smiles but don't even waste money on this.

Associate
Mother! Er...8/10..I just don't know.

Went in knowing zip about it and left utterly bamboozled. I've disliked Aronosky's films (except The Wrestler) so new it was going to be Marmite. It was entertaining and memorable, I'll give it that. I've seen about 7 comments in the last 15 minutes elsewhere saying "it's allegorical!". Put me in the camp of someone who couldn't figure out an allegory of what.

Caporegime
Baby Driver. ?/10

Switched off after 20 minutes, not sure what they were going for with this, musical action comedy caper?

No thank you

I honestly don't get this film, I do my best to watch zero trailers or read anything about new films largely because at some point in what, the late 90s, trailers went from small parts of films trying to give you enough to make you interested without giving anything major away to just showing bits of every single major scene in the film.

With Baby Driver I saw one tiny bit of a clip and thought... is this a parody of the film Drive, because it felt like the same concept, a getaway driver, cool music, but it had this upbeat comical vibe around it.

I finally saw the film and I still don't get it. The characters just don't fit, they do things that make zero sense. It wasn't a bad film, it just, I can in no way see how this is a 7+/10 film for people.

Stuff like, he makes his own music and he's not at all subtle about recording, pulling out his dicta-phone all over the place. But it's not developed, the music isn't 'good', he doesn't mention it to the girlfriend, it's not used, he shows no ambition to say be a DJ or release his music. It's just here a couple mins then later on it's used as a plot device. They don't trust him because he records and they find his explanation stupid. Spacey has been around him for years, 5+ years it seems, yet doesn't have a clue he does this.. despite following him and knowing stuff about him. Then when he proves he wasn't lying about using recordings to make crap music, they still don't believe him. So the hot chick says "just let him drive" and they all are fine with going on a job with a guy they think might be a cop... even though Spacey has known him since he was a kid and a criminal and knows he's been working as a criminal with him the whole time.

Foxx's character was literally just killing everyone. If Spacey is a careful guy, and they make the point of never using the same people together a second time, why use the crazed maniac killer for the bigger job when they know he's a problem? he's killing people in gas stations, very likely on camera, because he won't pay for anything. His character is beyond ridiculous. Then Spacey goes from holding this over his head for years, threatening to kill his uncle and girlfriend to giving up his life to save him in literally two seconds.

I think it's a incredibly poorly written in parts, only two characters are kinda interesting, Baby and his girlfriend, as in their interactions make sense. It's a thoroughly average film which only has one semi decent car chase scene in a film called driver, about a getaway driver. Even then it's dumb, when he's clear he's still drifting around corners, squealing tires, burning out his tires and drawing attention to himself constantly.

For me Drive was a superior film in every way, better writing, better music, better characters, better acting, better plot, better driving/chase scenes. The only bit I really didn't like about the film was that one head kicking scene which I thought was completely unnecessary.

Soldato
Not sure about all the raving over baby driver? From the trailer it looked a noisy mess of a film.

But hey, people seem to like it, so maybe I'll give it a try sometime.

Now Drive was a great film. Much more atmospheric and intelligent.

But that's the great thing about films, there is something for everyone out there. Some people like a frantic noisy mess of a film and some people like more intelligent films :)

Back
Top Bottom