What film did you watch last night?

PayDay Lover
Associate
I honestly don't get this film, I do my best to watch zero trailers or read anything about new films largely because at some point in what, the late 90s, trailers went from small parts of films trying to give you enough to make you interested without giving anything major away to just showing bits of every single major scene in the film.

With Baby Driver I saw one tiny bit of a clip and thought... is this a parody of the film Drive, because it felt like the same concept, a getaway driver, cool music, but it had this upbeat comical vibe around it.

I finally saw the film and I still don't get it. The characters just don't fit, they do things that make zero sense. It wasn't a bad film, it just, I can in no way see how this is a 7+/10 film for people.

For me Drive was a superior film in every way, better writing, better music, better characters, better acting, better plot, better driving/chase scenes. The only bit I really didn't like about the film was that one head kicking scene which I thought was completely unnecessary.

Well that is the beauty of film I guess - it all touches people in different ways - I watched Baby Driver last night, I would give it a 7/10 simply as a film, 8/10 when appreciating the unusual take of the scenes being done around the music as opposed to music simply being put on top of a scene.

Meanwhile I thought Drive was one of the most tedious films I have seen, it just didn't work for me at all.

Permabanned
Alien: Covenant

A real loose bowel movement of a film. It's ham fisted with it's themes, shoddily acted in parts, badly paced in others and largely pretentious throughout. There's very little too love about it and yet... I can't help but bask in it's banality.

Second time seeing it now and whilst it lost a lot of it's charm this time round, I still really like it. It's no Alien, but it's better then Prometheus which is all I really wanted from it.

Soldato

A real loose bowel movement of a film. It's ham fisted with it's themes, shoddily acted in parts, badly paced in others and largely pretentious throughout. There's very little too love about it and yet... I can't help but bask in it's banality.

Second time seeing it now and whilst it lost a lot of it's charm this time round, I still really like it. It's no Alien, but it's better then Prometheus which is all I really wanted from it.

Characters just make too many brain dead decisions which are so obviously only in there to move to story along. And the story was severely lacking in the first place.

It has it's entertainment value, but I feel Prometheus is actually a better film. Although I have plenty of issues with Prometheus.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Tried to watch Despicable me 3 and had to turn it off with about 30 minutes left. Utter utter tripe. Its like they had so few new ideas or any sort of cohesive plot that they just threw whatever they fancied in. Can't remember the last time I turned a film off before the end. First film was brilliant, second film was quite good but the 3rd is complete ****.

3/10

Soldato
Tried to watch Despicable me 3 and had to turn it off with about 30 minutes left. Utter utter tripe. Its like they had so few new ideas or any sort of cohesive plot that they just threw whatever they fancied in. Can't remember the last time I turned a film off before the end. First film was brilliant, second film was quite good but the 3rd is complete ****.

3/10

I enjoyed the first one, was good fun and very funny. Second was fairly poor in comparison if you ask me. Won't bother with the third from what I have been hearing. Sounds like a cash grab to me.

Didn't like the minions film either, it was very irritating after about 15 minutes.

Caporegime
I enjoyed the first one, was good fun and very funny. Second was fairly poor in comparison if you ask me. Won't bother with the third from what I have been hearing. Sounds like a cash grab to me.

Didn't like the minions film either, it was very irritating after about 15 minutes.

Never seen any of them but I'll def watch the first one at some point. Next animated movie on my list is Zootopia, been meaning to watch that for months!

Soldato

That's like saying I didn't get Aids, but I got Herpes instead.

Soldato
Never seen any of them but I'll def watch the first one at some point. Next animated movie on my list is Zootopia, been meaning to watch that for months!

Definitely give the first one a go. They should have left it there though.

I'm a bit picky with the animated films to be honest, I find so many of them to be poor lately.

Last one I really enjoyed was Up I think.

Permabanned
Baby Driver 2/10

It's just a random mess of pointless violence in the universe where every police officer has an IQ of a carrot. Awful plot. The characters are weak. The main protagonist is mix of typical "my mum died" and "save the girl" motivations.
It's awful. But it will probably sit fine with 14-22 year old "Twilight" fans.

Associate
Mother! (2017) - 6/10

Powerful performances in a haunting and creepy setting, but goes a bit too far off the rails in the last act, making it difficult to follow what’s going on.

Superb acting and artistic enough, but not really what I was expecting. I didn't find it that thought-provoking or shocking, as when it does explain what it’s all about, it felt a bit anti-climactic.

Soldato
Alien covenant.
I have to start by saying I was one of the people critical of the pos known as prometheus, it was awful at all levels.
This, wasn't.
It wasn't a great show, but clearly lines in the dialogue were added ti at least give the audience the impression the crew had been trained and had some idea what they were doing.
There were very few complete idiot moments, one does stick out when the captain finds david trying to have a chat with the alien, and then follows him to an egg room.
No person in the history of humanity would have followed such a path.

I liked the walter david play off.
I didn't mind the reasoning behind davids insanity.

It is rather strange, as now the entire course of the third film would be plotted in advance, we'll see what they do with it.

I'd give it a 5/10.

Soldato
The Villainess

Intense Korean revenge flick in a similar vein to Kill Bill and The Raid. Very good, if a bit convoluted plot-wise. Probably film of the year for me so far.

7/10

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

I thought Baby Driver was good. A surprisingly different film where the use of audio editing really added to the enjoyment.

8/10

Back
Top Bottom