What film did you watch last night?

Associate
Fracture,
Courtroom drama with Anthony Hopkins and Ryan Gosling.
Really enjoyed it although it looks like standard courtroom fare and Hopkins
is still in Hannibal Lecter mode.

Man of Honour
Some from this week, mostly horror.

The Forrest - not particularly noteworthy. Reminded me the dream sequences are annoying. 4.5/10

Stigmata - this has to be one of the most nineties films ever. A potentially intriguing story ruined by its ‘attempt to be slick and edgy’ presentation 4.5/10

I know what you did last summer - a great slasher set-up but then mostly boring and, for a low brow film, surprisingly hard to follow (perhaps I was too bored to pay attention) - 4.5

Moana - I really liked this, best animated film I’ve seen in awhile - 8.5

Soldato
Brawl in Cell Block 99. 5/10. Watch it if you up late of staying at a hotel on your own. Otherwise bit of a waste of time.
Spotlight. Gets better each time I watch it.
Patriots day. 6/10. Not much you can do with this movie. Decent attempt but pretty average overall.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Thor: Ragnarok (9/10)

Genuinely funny, lots of credible action and a mix of characters (and a few cameos). Does a lot to progress the overall story arc whilst maintaining its footing as a solid standalone film.

Suspended
So, I was tempted by the recommendations, and watched Bald in Cell Block 99.

It was absolute garbage, with some of the worst fight choreography I've seen outside a B grade Hong Kong beat-'em-up.

The protagonist is a big strong white man who keeps his wife under control with selective bursts of domestic violence. The plot (if it can even be called that) has more holes than the Tories' Brexit plan.

Don Johnson—who still looks and sounds fantastic—stomps moodily around the set while brandishing a rough cigarillo with the air of a man who's doing a favour for a mate and looks forward to forgetting that it ever happened.

I rate Bald in Cell Block 99 at 9.99 on the Haglee Scale, which works out as a folically challenged 3/10 on IMDB.

Last edited:
Soldato
So, I was tempted by the recommendations, and watched Bald in Cell Block 99.

It was absolute garbage, with some of the worst fight choreography I've seen outside a B grade Hong Kong beat-'em-up.

The protagonist is a big strong white man who keeps his wide under control with selective bursts of domestic violence. The plot (if it can even be called that) has more holes than the Tories' Brexit plan.

Don Johnson—who still looks and sounds fantastic—stomps moodily around the set while brandishing a rough cigarillo with the air of a man who's doing a favour for a mate and looks forward to forgetting that it ever happened.

I rate Bald in Cell Block 99 at 9.99 on the Haglee Scale, which works out as a folically challenged 3/10 on IMDB.
Couldn't agree more. Sadly I think vince's best days are behind him with films like swingers and wedding crashers

Soldato
DONT BREATH (2016)
Highly recommended can’t remember the last time I watched a movie that kept me gripped on the edge of my seat for the whole 90 mins.
3 teens break into a house and try to steal money from a blind old guy but he is ex milatery and has guns etc so it all goes abit wrong for them

Man of Honour
Moonlight
8/10
Great

Lion
9/10
Stunning true story about a boy in India who gets lost on a train. He spends the next 25 years searching for his home. A real emotional gut wrencher.

Associate
Arrival.

4/10. Wife chose the film on Netflix (or Amazon Prime I can't remember) but I was drifting off to sleep halfway through. No part of the film drew me in and the characters were just meh. The music, scenery and CGI just reminded me of the film The Mist a little, but with less action and intensity.

Soldato
DONT BREATH (2016)
Highly recommended can’t remember the last time I watched a movie that kept me gripped on the edge of my seat for the whole 90 mins.
3 teens break into a house and try to steal money from a blind old guy but he is ex milatery and has guns etc so it all goes abit wrong for them
I watched this tonight. I completely agree, really enjoyable film. :)

Suspended
Deep Impact.

In 1998, everyone was getting ready for the big Year 2000. People had mixed feelings about the whole thing, with many predicting global disasters on an apocalyptic scale. Hollywood decided that the best way to address these fears was to monetise them, and created two movies—Deep Impact and Armageddon—that shared the same basic plot:

* giant asteroid is heading to Earth
* it's going to hit and wipe out pretty much all life on the planet
* we might be able to stop it just in time
* this will involve sending astronauts up in space to land on the asteroid and blow it up

Today Deep Impact is widely seen as the ginger-haired step-cousin of Armageddon, but I personally believe this is an unfair assessment. Both movies were released in summer, and both performed extremely well at the box office, although Deep Impact (with box office returns of $350 million against a budget of just $80 million) was easily the more profitable of the two.

Deep Impact begins strongly, with an innocent scientist burning to death after just three scenes have elapsed. It's a great start.

Twelve months flash by, and we're introduced to Téa Leoni, who was smoking hot at the time this movie was made, with no suggestion of the sad decline that would later follow.

We also meet Elijah Wood, playing some awkward little scrote that nobody cares about.

Morgan Freeman naturally gets a part, because if the world is going to end we need a decent voiceover.

Most of all, ladies and gentlemen, we are graced with the presence of a dangerously jailbaity 15 year old Leelee Sobieski, who looks as though she just might be legal, but absolutely is not.

The plot unfolds pretty much as you'd expect, but unlike other movies of its type, Deep Impact commendable resists the temptation of a predictable 'everything's-going-to-be-OK-now' conclusion. Earth still gets hit, squillions of people die—including Téa Leoni!—and the Twin Towers are destroyed by some reasonably convincing CGI.

It's not without its weaknesses, but when compared with other summer disaster films, Deep Impact can hold its head up pretty high. And it gave us Leelee Sobieski, for which I am eternally grateful.

I rate Deep Impact at 23.31 on the Haglee Scale, which works out as a perky 7/10 on IMDB.

Caporegime
Deep Impact was definitely better than Armageddon!

When I was watching Armageddon for the first time, it was at home and I put some soup on when I pressed play on the DVD player. It was "so good" and got me hooked to the screen I forgot about the soup until smoke was all over the house and I burnt the pan completely.

So definitely better than Deep Impact. lol

Soldato
Geo Storm (2017) 6/10

Quite ashamed to say that me and the missus enjoyed this.

I went in with VERY low expectations, and it was kinda ok.

It was a stock disaster flick with an obvious villain (in my opinion).

Its a bubblegum movie for the mind but its pretty much ok....

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
Thor: Ragnarok (9/10)

Genuinely funny, lots of credible action and a mix of characters (and a few cameos). Does a lot to progress the overall story arc whilst maintaining its footing as a solid standalone film.

+1 on that score - throughly enjoyed it from start to finish. Packed full of fun, wit and humour. Great cast that worked well with what they had. Lots of influences from Flash Gordon, Red Dwarf and Big Trouble in Little China. Cate Blanchett was probably the best villian out of any marvel movie imo. Marvel really showing universal how great a character Hulk can be if used correctly. Korg was hilarious and did a first class job directing the movie too.

Soldato
Nocturnal Animals - 6/10 - It's an interesting movie style, splitting the film into 3 separate sections (current life, flashback & visualising a novel), and then mixing them together which works very well. While I really liked the Novel scenes and could have happily watched a whole movie just set around it, I found the Current life sections a bit too drab and lifeless, both in tone, colour palette and strangely the acting too which is very muted although I'm guessing thats a director choice to highlight how drab the Amy Adams characters life has become, but I felt it was overkill and hurt 1/3 of the film. The Flashback scenes seem to be a good average between the great Novel scenes and the poor Current life scenes and that "averageness" seems to make the transition between the pair less jarring, almost like a palette cleanser. Despite a few negatives I didn't think the movie was "bad" at all, I quite liked it, I just wish Tom Ford hadn't chosen to make the Current life section so unbearably dull. Not a film to watch if you're after some excitement :D

Back
Top Bottom