What film did you watch last night?

Man of Honour
Jigsaw (Saw 8!)

I don’t know why I have a soft spot for these films but I always enjoy them. I think it’s because they create a mystery “whodunnit” vibe - usually the merit of which is completely destroyed by hilarious plot holes. This was no different:

In fact, the villain’s motive is created and resolved in the final scene with no explanation as to how the final victim was involved! Wut!!

I would give it 7/10 in terms of my personal enjoyment - I haven’t laughed so hard in the cinema for quite some time. That said, for everyone else it’s a 4/10 or lower :D

Caporegime
Spiderman Homecoming, good but...

It was incredibly by the numbers, as soon as i seen stark was involved back in one of the trailers i knew it would play out like this:

• Spiderman gets suit.
  • Spiderman goes overboard with suit.
  • Spiderman gets suit confiscated.
  • Spiderman regains trust and gets suit back.

And sure enough that's exactly how it turned out. The only 2 things i didn't expect were him having a tubby sidekick, and who Liz's father was, though i suppose that was hinted at earlier in the movie with the house she was living in being stupidly over the top.

Some of the other dumb points were Stark knowing about a boat sinking but not being clued in enough to know when loads of his power cells and suits are being stolen, and the modified chitauri weapons suddenly being a lot more powerful than they ever were in the Avengers 2012.

Good movie none the less.

Soldato
Thor: Ragnarok - 5/10 (3/10 for the first two thirds then 8/10 for the last third) - The Thor series, along with the Captain America trilogy, have always been the more serious end of the Marvel movies but this one goes for a full on Guardians of the Galaxy style humour which, as I'm obviously a miserable git, just fell flat 90% of the time (although that last 10% was hilarious!).

I had serious issues with the new "comedy" version of Thor (the first scene on a chain, the haircut scene, meeting the Grand Master etc) just being unfunny, the editing/story of the first 2/3's of the movie was poor, with no flow to the script/story or pace, it felt like just a bunch of cut-scenes pasted together and I was very disappointed after reading other peoples highly praised review. However the last third of the movie really was fantastic and saved the movie from a much worse score from me, along with Korg who stole every scene he/it was in.

I guess my biggest complaint is that a lot of dialogue felt like it was almost improvised, especially the humour, and while that may work for something like Guardians with a comedic Chris Pratt carrying a lot of the humour, in Thor the cast just didn't feel right saying some of their lines with "funny" Banner almost being painful to watch and completely unlike his other outings.

Casting wise I thought main 3 (Thor/Loki/Banner) were adequate at best until the last third, Karl Urban was wasted and unable to bring much to his character, Cate Blanchett never really seemed to do much other than throw swords (was hoping for more "acting" from her I guess) and Idris Elba again had little really to do but Jeff Goldblum was great to watch as always, Tessa Thompson seemed to have fun and the short "Loki's death" play cameos were very well done.

VFX-wise the movie looked fantastic but the Hulk Vs Wolf scene looked like it suffered from either a lack of time and/or money but otherwise it was extremely good looking film.

I realise that sounds like a lot of negatives and, despite not liking the first 2/3's the film did have a few fun/good moments in that time, it 's just the rest of the movie around those fleeting moments dragged far too much for me and after seeing the last third I wish the movie had had that energy and pace through-out.

VoG

VoG

Soldato
Terminator Genisys. ide give it a 6/10 as it had its moments but that helicopter chase, ughhhhhh, certainly wasn't one of them. :rolleyes:

Avengers: Age of Ultron. 8/10 An enjoyable movie let down by some damn dodgy cgi, tho Spader, I thought, was awesome as Ultron.

Permabanned
Deadpool

Ehh. I really liked it the first time round because a few of the jokes caught me off guard and the story surprised me in the fact that it was... well, quite good. Watched it at home a few months back and the cracks started to appear. A friend whacked it on last night and I was entirely bored by the start of the second act. It's cool and all, but now it just feels like I'm watching the filmic representation of some off beat, meme obsessed sub forum from 2013.

The Shining

Just so, so good in ever conceivable way. Do I need to say anymore? It's The Shining...

The Witches of Eastwick

First time watching, despite being a huge Miller fan. Absolutely loved every second of it. The cast was incredible and I honestly think this might be Nicholson's greatest performance. He takes the third act by the horns and completely lets loose.

Millers direction is so on point! Some of the shots in this flick are just beautiful and Willams' score is a perfect match, definitely one of his best! I had cramp in the jaw from grinning by the end. SO GOOD!!!

Associate
Spider Man Homecoming

Why'd eveyone hate this? It was clearly aimed at a younger audience and represented Peter Parker better than the other five films (a billion times better than Maguire). Also rats off to Keaton's character. May not be the best villain but clearly more intelligent than anyone from the DC universe. I liked it for what it was and Spidey is a criminally neglected character in getting good films made.

Caporegime
Agreed, a classic :cool:

Molina was damn good in this!! I'd watch it again if I hadn't a couple of months back :)
I've heard it said that superhero films live and die by their villains, and that's what makes Spiderman 2 so good - the villain is a credible threat to the hero.

It's also why the back third of Iron Man is rubbish - the villain is naff.

PayDay Lover
Associate
Maybe I need to watch Spiderman 2 again, everyone seems to rate it so highly, yet my memory of it was a 'meh' film. Maybe it is because I was not a fan of McGuire as Spiderman and as a result all the 3 films failed to impress.

On another note, I watched Kingsman 2 this weekend. It was enjoyable enough, not as good as the first. I would probably give it 6.5/10

Associate
Sorry no, Spiderman 2.

You're suggesting that Spider-Man 2 is a good film when I was merely commenting upon characterisation. Agree or disagree with you about the quality of the film itself, I still feel that Tobey Maguire does not portray a good Peter Parker. In fact I think he does a worse job than Andrew Garfield.

Back
Top Bottom