What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
War for the Planet of the Apes - 6.5/10.

Found this pretty boring and although some of the CGI and backgrounds were amazing, there were some pieces where the CGI wasn't as good - ie fast movement of the apes. But even the story itself was slow and not making complete sense and as usual relying on characters making dumb decisions:

single guard walks into an enclosure full of apes without alerting anyone

Also Woody - of all the actors in the world and they chose him to be the mad, bad Colonel. This could have been a great role for someone ie Marlon Brando in A Now. I just didn't feel Woody was a rough, tough, Spec Ops Colonel.

A weak ending to the trilogy :(

Soldato
Thor Ragnarok - 7.5/10.

Very good. Largely enjoyable. Not in the same class as GOTG2 imo, which it did try to emulate in a way with the constant attempts at humour, but for me whereas the hit rate in Guardians was exceptionally high, in Ragnarok it it just mostly hit.
There were some really funny bits though, and some very cool moments.
Tbh I thought Hulk was maybe the weakest part of the film.

Associate
A pair of long haul flights allowed me to watch a bunch of movies i missed first time around:

Baywatch (2017) - 3/10

Mediocre entertainment at best – humorous at times with lots of sexy people in skimpy clothing but is rarely funny and the story isn’t particularly good. Passable stunts, acting and stereotypical characters, and the film never excels.

CHIPS (2017) - 1/10

Crude and unfunny with puerile humour. Boring to watch with unlikeable characters, a weak plot and unimpressive motorcycle stunts. Considering the subjects brought up, it might have worked better as a straight film, or as a comedy with farce but as it is, it’s a terrible movie.

Rough Night (2017) - 5/10

A so-so comedy which although mostly traditional in setting and set-up, quickly becomes entertaining and different kind of farce. Good cast of characters and acting, but plays it far too safe with the sexual comedy and very convenient happy ending.

Associate
Ferris Bueller’s Day Off (1986) - 7/10

A quirky and oddball comedy set in an iconic time and setting – the 80’s. Entertaining and amusing with great performances and style, but doesn’t really have a story and has become quite dated.

Despicable Me 3 (2017) - 8/10

Fun and funny in equal measure, the film is a return to form for the series after the disappointing Minions movie. Good sketches, characters and jokes with superb animation throughout, it does lose pace in the second half, but the soundtrack is good.

The Big Sick (2017) - 7/10

Good acting and depiction of Pakistani culture in modern America wrapped around a romance story. For a film about amateur comedians, it’s not very funny and the plot isn’t overly original, but does make some astute observations and have an emotional impact in the final act.

Associate
The House (2017) - 5/10

Amusing if unbelievable premise that does well with its limited content. Comical characters and tries to have a moral message, but far too much violence, bad language, adult and gross out humour to be taken seriously.

Smurfs: The Lost Village (2017) - 4/10

Bright, colourful and imaginative in design with lots of 3D effects and entertaining action scenes. The story is simple and the 1 dimensional characters you’ll either love or hate, and although the modern references and pop music don’t really suit the Smurf culture, it’s still entertaining and fun.

Permabanned
Spider Man Homecoming

Why'd eveyone hate this? It was clearly aimed at a younger audience and represented Peter Parker better than the other five films (a billion times better than Maguire). Also rats off to Keaton's character. May not be the best villain but clearly more intelligent than anyone from the DC universe. I liked it for what it was and Spidey is a criminally neglected character in getting good films made.

The kid wasn't a bad Spider man, the actual film is awful. ALL the other Spider man films are better! :p

Man of Honour
A pair of long haul flights allowed me to watch a bunch of movies i missed first time around:

Baywatch (2017) - 3/10

Mediocre entertainment at best – humorous at times with lots of sexy people in skimpy clothing but is rarely funny and the story isn’t particularly good. Passable stunts, acting and stereotypical characters, and the film never excels.

CHIPS (2017) - 1/10

Crude and unfunny with puerile humour. Boring to watch with unlikeable characters, a weak plot and unimpressive motorcycle stunts. Considering the subjects brought up, it might have worked better as a straight film, or as a comedy with farce but as it is, it’s a terrible movie.

Rough Night (2017) - 5/10

A so-so comedy which although mostly traditional in setting and set-up, quickly becomes entertaining and different kind of farce. Good cast of characters and acting, but plays it far too safe with the sexual comedy and very convenient happy ending.

You err, couldn't have picked worse movies from the selection probably, and I say that as someone who works for a company that licenses films on aircraft :D

Associate
Transformers The Last Knight 5/10

Not as terrible as I was expecting, but after this many films I still feel like they have no idea what they're doing with the franchise. Also telling us there's a Headmaster in it, but not doing anything with it is a crime.

Associate
You err, couldn't have picked worse movies from the selection probably, and I say that as someone who works for a company that licenses films on aircraft :D

I was struggling to find films i hadn't actually seen - I'd seen all the good movies at the Cinema (Wonder Woman, Rise of Planet Apes, GOTG2 etc.), so was left with the quoted selection. And i needed some way to fill 12 hours without watching re-runs of Friends for the umpteenth time.

Associate
Geostorm (2017) - 2/10

Long and bloated with a nonsense plot, terrible dialogue and clichés everywhere. It picks up in the second half when the special effects take over, some of which are very good, but the film is rarely exciting or thrilling. Loud and dumb, but not much fun.

Soldato
The Departed. Good movie. Good acting. Worth watching though sure all have already seen it.
Hostel III. Watched this years ago, gets you creeped out in places, worth a watch if you have too. Also I can imagine these kind of things have/do go on in real life to a degree

Back
Top Bottom