What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
The only disappointment I had are Idris Elba was a little bland and boring, it could have also done with a little more story and build up.
To be honest I don't know how that guy got a career as an actor. He's terrible in everything I've seen him in and his faux/half American accent absolutely does my nut.

I enjoyed Hobbs and Shaw though. Hope you stayed until the bitter end? ;)

Soldato
To be honest I don't know how that guy got a career as an actor. He's terrible in everything I've seen him in and his faux/half American accent absolutely does my nut.

A perfect performance as Stringer Bell in The Wire probably helped a lot. His accent in that is also pretty spot on to the point when he went on an awards show people thought he was putting on a fake British accent. He also tricked his way into the audition for it by pretending he was american and that his Baltimore accent was real.

He has got very samey with his roles in recent years though.

Last edited:
Soldato
The Crow 9/10

Been a few years since I've watched this & half if me didn't want to watch again in case I was disappointed as this was one of my favourite film from the 90s
The soundtrack took me straight back to my youth & I am pleased to say the film did not disappoint.

Brandon Lee was the perfect casting for the role IMO, & the soundtrack...wow!
It may be a lot of nostalgia but I really loved this film & I'm pleased to say even after many years of not rewatching its as good as ever.

One of my favorite films. Such a classic and brings back my youth also :)

Soldato
Yeah, I would give it a 2/10....I would say that it was like it was written by a 9 year old but I'd hate to do 9 year old such a disservice... I can't believe it was honestly written as a serious attempt to make a decent film.... Just checked wiki and it make 160 million box office on a budget of 80 million. Why make decent films when you can turn out tosh and get a 100% return on investment.

Probably only just broke even. I don't think the budget includes marketing, advertising, all the crap that comes behind the scenes etc. The cost are normally pretty high too.

Associate
The House That Jack Built
Rather uncomfortable viewing and only just realized it was a Lars Von Trier film so it make perfect sense!
Pretty surprised about some of the stuff that passes uncut these days as there were a few quite graphic scenes.

I liked it a lot.

Soldato

I enjoyed Hobbs and Shaw though. Hope you stayed until the bitter end? ;)
No I missed it even when I suspected to see a few end credits :(:( , I only got to see the first end credit because the guys I went with did not want to wait thinking it had finished.

Soldato
Sat down last night and watched two movies. Both turned out to be worse than what I was expecting and I wasn't expecting much from either of them. One staring Scarlett Johansson and one staring the guy that's been discussed on this thread for the last few posts, Idris Elba.

First up, Ghost in the Shell. 6.4 on IMDB, 43% on Rotten Tomatoes, 52% on Metacritic. My rating - 3/10. Terrible movie. I am giving the 3 out of 10 for some of the special effects and the story, which would have been ok if delivered better. Terrible acting, easily read plot and very bad pacing. I was bored watching it. I didn't feel for any of the characters. The actions scenes were forgettable. Dull, dull, dull.

Next up, The Dark Tower. 5.6 on IMDB, 15% on Rotten Tomatoes, 34% on Metacritic. My Rating - 1/10. When I was reading the bad reviews here, I thought people here might be judging a little harshly because the books are so good, and it's going to be impossible for any Film to recreate them. I was wrong. The movie is shockingly bad and Idris Elba is terrible. The whole cast was bad actually, but, maybe I am been too harsh on them as the movie was so badly done. Matthew McConaughey was actually pretty good as Walter.

Idris Elba wasn't Roland of Gilead, but, that's ok, because this film wasn't anything remotely like The Dark Tower Stephen King wrote about. Roland Deschain, for me, is a cross between King Arthur and the Man with no name in the Good, the Bad and the Ugly. When I watched movie last night I thought that Dennis Haysbert would have been a much better Roland than Idris Elba.

No OY, No Crimson king, despite references made in the movies, no Susannah, no Eddie Dean.

I did enjoy one scene though, which is why it gets 1 out of 10 instead of 0. The gun fight in the Dixie Pig was pretty good and how Roland reloaded his guns was really awesome.

Associate
Watched inception last night, probably for the first time since its Blu Ray release.

What a great film, has aged very well. Been long enough since last viewing that there were a fair few things I had not remembered.

If you haven't seen then would recommend giving it a go :)

Associate
Death Note (2007) parts one and two.

A few years ago (original) Death Note was on Film 4, it was on in the background so I never really watched but it piqued my intrigue with the story; given the Netflix version, I thought I would watch again.

The original version (Part one) is pretty good and worth a watch. Part two is a let down, far too much procrastination and the bad guys nemesis - does my head in.

Soldato
Gone Girl - 7/10

It's been on my watch list for a while, but I think after waiting so long and reading so much hype about it, I probably hyped it up too much in my mind - It was not as good as it has been raved about, in my opinion at least.

Still a decent film, and worth a watch - Rosamund Pike was incredible, but Ben Affleck is such a boring actor. He feels, to me, like one of those actors that just plays himself in every film he does.

Other highlights were the soundtrack by Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross, which as per usual was incredible and really added to the atmosphere.

Last edited:
Soldato
Stan and Ollie - Highly recommended, even if you're not a fan of Laurel and Hardy. Some of the scenes were so fantastically acted, that at times it was like watching the original duo.

Soldato
Still Alice. First "serious" film I've watched in ages. I should probably do it more often.

The Dressmaker. Very odd Australian film on Channel4 late last night. Definitely a few laughs to be had especially with Hugo Weaving's character in it.

Soldato
Forbidden Planet - absolutely love this film, the audio elements are sublime.
Kingdom of Heaven (directors cut) - recommended by a friend as never seen and although quite long, 3h 10, the time flew by. Will certainly get the UHD if it ever gets released.

Back
Top Bottom