What film did you watch last night?

Vivarium

1/10.

It started off well with a great concept but wtf did I just watch. Nothing worse than watching a film that clearly has not thought out the plot or any sort of ending.
This film annoyed the hell out of me, the first 3rd is brilliant and I loved the concept, had such cool possibilities but seems like as it went on they didn't know what to do with it so just got weirder and weirder for the sake of it. Would love to watch it again with a revised ending.

i went old skool last night, watched a films from my younger days, i havent seen for a good few yrs, first up was Caddyshack. still makes me giggle even now, then i watched animal house. toga toga:D

tonight i dumbed down even further i just watched Die Hart, crap but a giggle

tomorrow all quiet on western front(subs version) for the upteenth time
I thought you were about to say Porkies with Kim Catral.

White Men Can't Jump - 8/10

Absolute classic :)

MV5BMTc5ZjE2MmEtYWIxYi00OGY0LTk0ZTUtMzJiYjI4OWZmNTVmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzc5MjA3OA@@._V1_.jpg
Growing up it was one of my favourite films. Loved the trash talk. Loved the non-perfect ending.

You're Next - 6/10

Home invasion "horror" movie of a decent enough calibre for the genre, though has a few glaringly bad dialogue and acting moments that are best forgotten lol.

Will try Hush next which is rated similarly.

We have a ghost

New Netflix movie with that guy from that movie, what's his face? Anyway the film itself was better than expected, some good laughs with some frustrations. Why are FBI/CIA officials in mvoies like this always a bit cheese? The casting director for these roles needs a slap.

The main characters were good though, enjoyable fun movie about a ghost haunting a house but things take a twist from the usual haunted house movie tropes. Was nice to see this for a change.

I'd give it a 7/10.

Last edited:
Creed (Rocky 7)

It’s hard to review this without jumping to compare it to its direct sequel… so I’ll do both together.

2/3 standalone sports film, 1/3 Rocky sequel, Creed is great. Adonis himself is watchable and likeable, plus his relationship with Bianca is believable. Bianca herself is a great character so the two of them pair up nicely. Their journey is what makes the film.

Rocky is reduced to an aging mentor but that’s fine. His character arc has the most emotional moment in the whole franchise:

I remember shedding tears in the cinema when Rocky has his cancer diagnosis and once again I shed a tear on this rewatch.

Damn. After so much time with the character, such a likeable one, it’s very sad, to see him looking to confront death and wanting to throw in the towel - but you understand him because everything he had has gone :(

The boxing sections are beautifully filmed and Creed’s progression is exciting… but watching as a Brit, there is something a little silly about the final fight being against a scallywag in Liverpool :o

Overall, a success - better than it had any right to be.

8/10

Creed 2 (Rocky 8)

I hate to admit it, but I think this film was a mistake.

Conceptually, bringing back Ivan Drago (and son) as a villain(s) just doesn’t work. It makes the whole film feel incredible derivative and echoes Rocky 3 and Rocky 4 too much.

The execution is also poor, as there is very little to the Dragos. They barely say anything and have character development that could be summed up in a couple of sentences. But, sure, the fight scenes are great to watch.

There are some emotional moments with Creed’s child being born and what happens there, but Rocky’s involvement again feels too derivative to make any of it memorable.

It’s the first film in the whole set that has felt ‘long’ and, honestly, a little boring too. Perhaps Creed 2 is evidence of why Rocky 5 had to be so different to Rocky 4…?

6/10

Rocky Wrap-up:

That puts all the Rockys to date as follows for me:

Rocky - 9/10
Rocky 2 - 7.5/10
Rocky 3 - 7.5/10
Rocky 4 - 8/10
Rocky 5 - 7.5/10
Rocky 6 (‘Rocky Balboa’) - 8/10
Rocky 7 (‘Creed’) - 8/10
Rocky 8 (‘Creed 2’) - 6/10

Bring on Rocky 9 :)

Last edited:
All Quiet on the Western Front

This is a bleak portrayal of WW1 from the point of view of German infantry.

The character narrative is there but it’s pretty slight throughout, so really you’re just in it for a gruelling slog - to see how miserable it was, without really any emotional investment onto anyone until the perhaps the final 1/3.

It’s gripping and at times beautifully shot. My god, trench warfare is the worst. There are a couple of sequences that are very frantic and uncomfortable to watch. There are a couple of ‘awesome’ moments too, particularly one section when ‘the enemy’ is revealed approaching from the fog.

I will however criticise one really **** use of CGI, when a character is set on fire. When your film looks so good, don’t wreck it with crap CGI. You’re better off not even having the scene at all. It’s so immersion breaking.

The lack of character narrative probably stops it from being too heavy but, on the flip side, when we paused for bed, to finish it off the next day, neither of us really felt compelled to finish the film. It was just going to be more of a miserable slog. Yes, it was worth persevering, but it’s perhaps not the sort of film that will have you itching to see what happens at the end.

8/10

Last edited:
Manhunter (1986)

Heard a few things about this film over the years. William Petersen, from CSI fame stars as an FBI profiler investigating a serial killer known as the 'Tooth Fairy'. Its part of the Hannibal Lecter stories. To be honest, I'm not a fan of Silence of the Lambs and subsequent films.

Have to say, I thought Manhunter wasn't bad, albeit, not a film I would re-watch over, but enjoyable and drew me in! Plot builds up to a quite decent ending. Some interesting facts I read after watching, apparently the flight scene's were filmed on a real flight, and some A list actors were considered (Mel Gibson) for the main role. With Gibson in the main part, I'm sure would have elevated the film to mainstream.

With many films, the main protagonist usually end up remarkably unscathed. Whereas in this film, the main hero gets slashed across the face - a surprising element of grittyness.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom