What film did you watch last night?

I rate Skinamarink at 23.31 on the Haglee Scale, which works out as an ambitious 7/10 on IMDB.

I was bored to death after 15 minutes, and I'd already had the wife's disapproval after 5 minutes, "is it going to be this arty farty all the way through?!" asks me this with every film I've never seen before FFS ..

I guess my question is, does it start to actually become anything other than an arty farty mish mush of low light in home camera footage that really needs a cat to swipe it over to make it interesting?

I was bored to death after 15 minutes, and I'd already had the wife's disapproval after 5 minutes, "is it going to be this arty farty all the way through?!" asks me this with every film I've never seen before FFS ..

It's definitely an acquired taste. Very much a Lynchian style art project, in the same vein as Rabbits.

I guess my question is, does it start to actually become anything other than an arty farty mish mush of low light in home camera footage that really needs a cat to swipe it over to make it interesting?

Yes and no.

Last edited:
Started watching 'Worlds End' the third instalment of the Cornetto Trilogy from Simon Pegg and Nick Frost.

By far the weakest of the 3 films... to be honest i dont even know if i can bring myself to finish it.

We Have A Ghost (2023) - 7/10
A family-friendly, light hearted and heartwarming movie which could only be set in America.

It has a little bit of everything in it – horror, comedy, family drama, teen romance, social media, government agencies, but unfortunately none of it is really resolved in much detail.

The ghost’s backstory felt underdeveloped, although the emotional ending was pretty good, and the government agency scenes were very hit and miss.

Slow to start, but it has some great special effects and some funny scenes.

Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels (1998)

What can I say ? The movie is literally my perfect film. I cannot find fault. And now watching it again as a 36 year old the plot actually makes sense now, than when I first saw it in 99.

Always love a Guy Richie film although the new one on Amazon left a lot to be desired. Lock Stock is a masterpiece really with Snatch a close second.

Always love a Guy Richie film although the new one on Amazon left a lot to be desired. Lock Stock is a masterpiece really with Snatch a close second.
Agreed. Seems like the internet prefers snatch.. but I don’t. It’s funny don’t get me wrong, I just feel lock stock is the better film :D will watch snatch tonight it may change my mind (doubt it)

Instant Family - 8/10
Was surprised about this, comedy drama about fostering/adoption with Mark Wahlberg and Rose Byrne, that has a good few laugh out loud moments and a few that tug at the heart strings as they navigate the fostering process with three troubled siblings.

watched the original film alien (1979)

well known film so i won't bore you with the details as to how the film goes

gave it a 9/10

it was a good watch and the visual effects still hold up today, even through it is almost half a centry old

also it was the first scary movie i was able to watch when i was much younger without telling my mother (i smuggled an old vhs into my bedroom, god damn ,the buzz that i got the next morning getting away with it was magnificent)

Last edited:
The Burnt Orange Heresy (2020) 8/10

I was wondering what I was watching during the first 30 minutes! A slow burner which drew me in. In the end, I really enjoyed. Not for everyone by any stretch.

An intriguing dark thriller, with unlikeable characters; won't say anymore as its best to watch without expectation. Personally I want to watch again to catch the details that flew over my head first time around.

Seven Kings Must Die

Netflix's feature length send off for Saxon-era series The Last Kingdom and it's protagonist, the strangely ageless Uhtred (the events of the film are 70 years after the first season. Dude is looking damn sprightly for an an old fella!). Very much historic fiction rather than true history, it none the less provides a fine spectacle for lovers of the genre, with many of the same beats and themes as the series in comfortable familiarity. I don't know how well the film explained itself to non-fans but I enjoyed it and recommend it to fans of the series.

7/10 Familiar and enjoyable.

Last edited:
Renfield (2023) - 7/10

Over the top chaotic fun with buckets of blood and gratuitous violence.

Both Cage as Dracula and Hoult as Renfield are superb with excellent acting and an authentic master/servant relationship.

The plot wasn’t as special as it could have been, but it’s still pretty good and the moral message is well woven in between the frequent fast paced action scenes.

Great special effects, makeup and use of music, but it did feel a bit of a mish-mash at times and there wasn’t as much comedy as I was expecting.

iBoy (2017) - 7/10

A gritty down to earth revenge drama set on a UK council estate.

Good visual effects, but with no side effects from using his power, it lacks some personal struggle and apart from this gimmick, it’s not much different to any other hacker movie.

The plot’s predictable but keeps your interest and although the presentation is low key and the stakes are low, it comes together nicely for the finale.

The acting’s understated with an awkwardness only teens could deliver, but it gives a quick glimpse behind the curtain of our digitally connected world.

iBoy (2017) - 7/10

A gritty down to earth revenge drama set on a UK council estate.

Good visual effects, but with no side effects from using his power, it lacks some personal struggle and apart from this gimmick, it’s not much different to any other hacker movie.

The plot’s predictable but keeps your interest and although the presentation is low key and the stakes are low, it comes together nicely for the finale.

The acting’s understated with an awkwardness only teens could deliver, but it gives a quick glimpse behind the curtain of our digitally connected world.
Sorry but after reading the synopsis I can't take it seriously at all :cry:

After being shot, Tom awakens from a coma to discover that fragments of his smartphone have been embedded in his head--and worse, that returning to normal teenage life is impossible because he has developed a strange set of superpowers

Last edited:
just watched Aliens (1986)

Best film of the 80s (according to wikipedia ) and I totally agree

gritty science action film (did have a slow start but got really good towards the end ) that really stands the test of time. good well though out story (to be honest no one cares about story, i just wanted to see some aliens get blasted) and well done acting especially on Sigourney Weavers part

10/10 - yes I have a perminant bias towards 80/90s films

Last edited:
After how good Picard has been with S3, i've been watching through all the movies the last few weeks and i'm going to be frank, they've mostly aged like milk, even Khan which outside of it's few iconic moments, is a damned slog.

Funnily, the movie I hated most as a kid Voyage Home is the one I enjoyed the most this time (out of the first 5), actually felt like the cast were having fun, first few movies felt like they begrudged doing movies and were phoning the lines in - it's only Koenig that ever seemed like he was happy to be there.

1) Motion Picture - 5/10 - so needlessly dragged out, it's a 30 min TOS episode essentially.
2) Wrath of Khan - 6.5/10 - the few key famous scenes elevate it a bit more - always helf on a pedestal as best trek but enjoyed 6 so much more. Plummer > Montalbán
3) Search for Spock - 5.5/10 - meh
4) Voyage Home - 7/10 - my god Jim, we're actually enjoying ourselves.
5) Final Frontier - 4/10 - how did this get made - there is hardly anything redeeming here whatsoever, only gets a few points for the sexy Romulan ;)
6) Quest for Peace ;) - 7.5/10 - now this is more like it, actually engaging characters, Klingons that aren't just russian archetypes, a decent conspiracy, this was a lot of fun.
7) Generations - 6/10 - there's half a good movie here somewhere with a bit of a recut and tidier editing, it could be quite engaging.

Started First Contact last night but fell asleep once they were back in time so will update once i've watched the rest.

Definitely a rule of evens being the better movies though but it's a weak movie series overall, shame as I had fond memories from growing up alongside these :(

After how good Picard has been with S3, i've been watching through all the movies the last few weeks and i'm going to be frank, they've mostly aged like milk, even Khan which outside of it's few iconic moments, is a damned slog.

Funnily, the movie I hated most as a kid Voyage Home is the one I enjoyed the most this time (out of the first 5), actually felt like the cast were having fun, first few movies felt like they begrudged doing movies and were phoning the lines in - it's only Koenig that ever seemed like he was happy to be there.

1) Motion Picture - 5/10 - so needlessly dragged out, it's a 30 min TOS episode essentially.
2) Wrath of Khan - 6.5/10 - the few key famous scenes elevate it a bit more - always helf on a pedestal as best trek but enjoyed 6 so much more. Plummer > Montalbán
3) Search for Spock - 5.5/10 - meh
4) Voyage Home - 7/10 - my god Jim, we're actually enjoying ourselves.
5) Final Frontier - 4/10 - how did this get made - there is hardly anything redeeming here whatsoever, only gets a few points for the sexy Romulan ;)
6) Quest for Peace ;) - 7.5/10 - now this is more like it, actually engaging characters, Klingons that aren't just russian archetypes, a decent conspiracy, this was a lot of fun.
7) Generations - 6/10 - there's half a good movie here somewhere with a bit of a recut and tidier editing, it could be quite engaging.

Started First Contact last night but fell asleep once they were back in time so will update once i've watched the rest.

Definitely a rule of evens being the better movies though but it's a weak movie series overall, shame as I had fond memories from growing up alongside these :(
I also really liked the voyage home. Think it might be my favourite just pipping khan.

Back
Top Bottom