What film did you watch last night?

I watched Caddyshack (first time in years, possibly a decade+?) last night and this morning.

I swear I have zero memory of entire scenes from it, and the gopher is in it a lot less than I remember.
It's not quite as good as memory made it out to be, but it's still a nice solid comedy with some great performances, and despite me not remembering most of the pool scene I definitely remembered the last bit :p
Watching the extras I can see what they mean by it would have been quite disjointed without the gopher helping to tie things together, but it also makes me wonder what it would have been like if they'd kept some of the (much) longer cuts that had a lot more of the relationships in it, as I was getting echos of Fast Times between one of the caddies and his GF (the one that worked at the cafe), and it sounds like there was a lot of other very funny material that got cut.

SISU 6.5/10

Its basically the Finnish Terminator/John Wick directed by Robert Rodriguez
I enjoyed it. Super daft gory B movie.

Its a Finish WW2 film ( in English ) with an understandably grumpy ex commando on the rampage against Nazi's in the midst of a scorched earth retreat from Lapland.

Cant see Robert Rodriguez mentioned on Imdb , looks all Finish/Scandinavian ?

I enjoyed it. Super daft gory B movie.

Its a Finish WW2 film ( in English ) with an understandably grumpy ex commando on the rampage against Nazi's in the midst of a scorched earth retreat from Lapland.

Cant see Robert Rodriguez mentioned on Imdb , looks all Finish/Scandinavian ?
Looking forward to this one sounds like my kind of movie.

I'm back at work from my appendicitis recovery but I did managed to get a couple more movies in before returning to the grind.

True Grit the 2010 version I recognised the girl in the film but had to look her up as it was bugging me! I binged Deadwood last year and the dialogue felt very similar. Again thoroughly enjoyed it, did not have a typical Hollywood ending but satisfying none the less and scratched my need to watch a western itch.

Mississippi Burning, seen this several times before but something always brings me back to it. The dynamic between Gene Hackman and Willem Dafoe is fantastic to watch and considering Hackman used to say he didn't like violent roles he plays them disturbingly well.

SISU 6.5/10

Its basically the Finnish Terminator/John Wick directed by Robert Rodriguez

I saw the trailer for this a while back and thought it looked promising - quite looking forward to this now.

Back on topic and we watched (struggled through) The War of the Worlds; The Attack 2023 - don't worry OcUK we're sampling this dross so you don't have to.

This would struggle to achieve 2/10 on a good day. Acting that is so wooden Kristen Stewart would applaud, special effects that would make the BBC proud and a production that appears to be High School HNC level . . .

No, just no . . . .

Gaurdians of the Galaxy Volume 3 - 9/10
This really ticked all the boxes for me, after a couple of the trailers giving me bad vibes. For me, better than the other two and up there with the best Marvel films. Respected the characters past stories and nicely completed many of their arcs.

Sisu (2022) - 6/10

A simple but good story which is well paced but didn’t really deliver. The style is reminiscent of a visual novel with striking imagery, limited dialogue and inter-film titles, but I think it would have been better in the native languages rather than English.

The action scenes were good but I was expecting more of them and more from them; they were violent and bloody and the struggles were engaging, but it could have been more.

The acting was a bit hit and miss and the ending, although humorous, stretched credibility a bit too far.

Crater
From the people behind Stranger Things. Was quite fun, nothing too taxing and for the scifi moon-base visuals was a nice watch. 6/10 for movie tropes but 7/10 for the sci-finess.

The Pope's Exorcist
Quite liked it, not scary or anything but a nice little thriller with some cool moments.

Air
Really enjoyed this, the 80s is my era, and was really cool to see how the Air Jordan brand came about. All star cast too which was a nice surprise.

Dungeons & Dragons 2023
I thought I'd like this but it ended up being a bit cheesy and not what I expected, I'd give it a 6/10 overall, the VFX wasn't that impressive either given the fantasy nature and the acting was meh.

Evil Dead Rise
Nicely creepy, late night movie night flick with the lights off.

Sisu
John Wick amplified. I actually enjoyed this more than John Wick 4 purely because it's just way more visceral and the setting was more interesting. It tries to pull itself off as a tarantino flick, the cinematography style of Django unchained etc, but not quite nailing it. Still an enjoyable flick to watch Nazis get what is coming to them.

Scream VI
The series has lost its touch from the originals, it's tried to be too serious in the latest and the magic has gone.

Super Mario

Incredible looking HDR and colours. Reference material stuff. Rainbow road in particular.

Shame about the movie, really quite boring and simplistic but it is a kids movie I guess

5/10

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom