What film did you watch last night?

Only movie I can't watch Jaws to this day - absolutely terrifies me. Watched it as a kid and although i can swim in open waters if forced, i prefer not to and when i am there, i am always panicking i'm going to get chomped.

I'm a huge horror fan and have seen many banned, X-rated etc, but a simple movie like Jaws scarred me for me life.

Last edited:
Only movie I can't watch Jaws to this day - absolutely terrifies me. Watched it as a kid and although i can swim in open waters if forced, i prefer not to and when i am there, i am always panicking i'm going to get chomped.

I'm a huge horror fan and have seen many banned, X-rated etc, but a simple movie like Jaws scarred me for me life.
Years ago I was at a beach with some mates and we decided to swim it to a buoy about 150m off shore. We were all there just chilling and looking down into water and the sunbeams lancing into the depths. I look at my mate and hum the Jaws theme. He looked down, said "you [fornicator]!" and probably beat the world record back to the beach.

Last edited:
Years ago I was at a beach with some mates and we decided to swim it to a buoy about 150m off shore. We were all there just chilling and looking down into water and the sunbeams lancing into the depths. I look at my mate and hum the Jaws theme. He looked down, said "you [fornicator]!" and probably beat the world record back to the beach.
Reminds of Ibiza in the early eighties, too far out on a pedalo with my mate and I foolishly told him there were great whites in the Med. He had a full blown panic attack! :D

Last edited:
Starship troopers (1997)

Its basically a film about humans (run in a military dictatorship) vs big bug creatures. Campy acting for some reason makes it a interesting watch

Its one of those films I saw when I was younger I did not really get it. Saw it again and now its one of those films that has grown on me.

When it released back in 1997 it did not do well with the critics, but now with older eyes, i can't understand why this was not better recieved by the public.

I'm gonna give it the 10/10 it deserved

John Wick 4 - 7/10

Yes, it was quite long and I started thinking I might watch in two sittings, but maybe due to exhaustion I just went right through and really enjoyed it. I guess you have to accept what it is, which you should know going in. I thought the fight choreography was very good and kinda fun. The story was rather simple, but that's not what these films are about.

The Machine (2023) - 3/10

Too slow and mature to be a wild comedy, too light and silly to be a serious drama, the film tries to be both and in both cases, falls short.

Whilst it may be a functional family drama and add some credibility to the original story, it misses the opportunity to go all out crazy in this “sequel”, preferring instead to be semi-realistic.

There is some over the top action scenes, slapstick and humour but it’s rarely funny and too slow overall.

The lead characters are good and it has some appeal, but like the truth behind the original story, it doesn’t meet expectations.

Hacksaw Ridge - as good as I remember from the cinema, 9/10.

The next karate kid - probably one of the worst films I’ve ever seen. Everything is bad, story, acting, hair dos. 1/10.

Starship troopers (1997)

Its basically a film about humans (run in a military dictatorship) vs big bug creatures. Campy acting for some reason makes it a interesting watch

Its one of those films I saw when I was younger I did not really get it. Saw it again and now its one of those films that has grown on me.

When it released back in 1997 it did not do well with the critics, but now with older eyes, i can't understand why this was not better recieved by the public.

I'm gonna give it the 10/10 it deserved

I think a lot of people didn't get the satire, and took it all seriously. Paul Verhoeven being a european director has a lot of sly digs and jokes that a large portion of the US audience might have taken as serious cheerleading of the characters. In the original book, the core message is a warning about having to turn into yourself into the thing you hate ie becoming a fascist society, in order to beat the hive mind of the arachnids.

I remember going to the cinema with a friend to see Starship Troopers. I'd never heard of it and knew nothing about it so wasn't expecting much, but I thought it was a great film; cheesy, funny and highly entertaining. Bought it on video as soon as it was released, then DVD, and just bought the Blu-ray last month so I can watch it on a cinema screen in VR :).

I loved Starship Troopers from the start! As a a youngling, i had no idea of the satire and regime references - i just thought it was a great cheesefest sci-fi movie (and Denise Richards was fricking hot!)

I can appreciate it more as i've aged and still think it's a great movie.

12 monkeys

film about bruce willis being some kind of time traveling investigator trying to find the origins of a virus that was released and killed most of the human race

Its a very weird movie. I suspect people who wrote the script were survivors some military experiment of putting people on LSD, but its a quirkey fun watch anyway

I would normally give it a high rating as being a 90s flick, but I can't do that as this film weirded me out

So I will give it a 8/10

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom