What film did you watch last night?

That was my point - any film featuring a gun is instantly compared to JW or reminds the poster of JW. It's bonkers really when films are compared to others for very tenuous reasons.
Yeah, but they blame the movie, when it's them making the link. Like when they say 'I can't believe they cast XXXXX, I can only see them as YYYYY now'. Surely that's a you problem, not a casting problem.

Watched the rest of this last night, really struggling to say anything good about it, proper bottom of the barrel MCU stuff alongside Thor 4, Iron Man 3, Captain Marvel.

I think what was quite jarring as a comic nerd, I don't like the representation of Namor, been reading his stories on and off since my stepdad gave me a bunch of silver age comics in my teens and was hoping they'd do him justice, nope - just another throwaway villain.

5/10 and that's adding a point for tugging my heart strings a little with the Chadwick moments.
Did you miss the Eternals off the barrel list, or is it just that forgettable?

Ronin (1998)

Its been a while since I've watched this and have been waiting for the 4k remaster. Safe to say it did not disappoint.
Loved the car chases and seeing the cool 90s cars again. Even spotted a Rover 600. DiNiro as cool as ever.

9/10

Thanks for the heads up, I'd been meaning to give this another watch and hadn't realized they'd released a 4K remaster.

On the subject of car chases, De Niro has the most hilarious precision driver acting face!

FMjuM3h.jpg

Dune 2021 on Amazon Prime - 9/10

This was fantastic enough that I was very disappointed when it actually ended. I could have easily watched another hour or two of it. Was not too enamoured with Timothée at the start but he certainly grew on me.
Dune is one of the films I really just don't get the hype for, I was just kinda...bored. I liked a few of the characters but for a film/book that's supposedly the pinnacle of sci-fi I found that aspect remarkably bland.

Dune is one of the films I really just don't get the hype for, I was just kinda...bored. I liked a few of the characters but for a film/book that's supposedly the pinnacle of sci-fi I found that aspect remarkably bland.

Did you see any of the other ones? David Lynch's Dune and the Sci-fi channel's miniseries? I guess I'm a big fan of the Dune stuff, though not reading. I have never read any of these books that make it to big TV shows like Game of Thrones, Wheel of Time, Lord of the Rings, etc.

First half of the recent Dune film was some of the best film world building I’ve seen, if not the best.

The second half shrunk the scale and it became a less compelling ‘personal adventure’. Regretfully, it didn’t really end on a satisfying note… one of those ‘oooo see what happens next!’ endings that I don’t really like.

Did you see any of the other ones? David Lynch's Dune and the Sci-fi channel's miniseries? I guess I'm a big fan of the Dune stuff, though not reading. I have never read any of these books that make it to big TV shows like Game of Thrones, Wheel of Time, Lord of the Rings, etc.
I've watched the David Lynch one and it was...something alright lol.

Nah, was easily the best film of the year. But I guess you have to have an appreciation for world building and intelligent storytelling :)

But yeah, if you just want whizz bang superhero action, you might find it boring ;)

Back
Top Bottom