What film did you watch last night?

When Eight Bells Toll (1971) 6/10

This film has one of the greatest titles, just sounds foreboding like something from The Omen! So, I thought I would give it a watch!

A spy thriller from legendary author Alistair MacLean. MacLean and Jack Higgins produced some iconic books in the sixties and seventies. Eight Bells stars Anthony Hopkins as a British Naval Officer investigating a series of hijacked ships. Watching the film just struck me as a movie for Hopkins to be considered as the next Bond (like Layer Cake was for Craig).

It's not bad. Nowhere as good as MacLean's Where Eagles Dare (1968) which is like Castle Wolfenstein starring two of the greatest actors of all time (Burton and Eastwood).

Hopkins is a great actor but as an action man; not convincing. This film ironically needed a Bond actor (Connery or Lasenby) to give it a grittier punch!

EWjMGCQ.jpg

Armageddon - 1998

Remember seeing this is the Cinema in Carlow, Ireland whilst visiting that side of the family.

I know it's a bit cheesy but it's just about in that era of the greats movie wise, maybe one of the last. Aerosmith who I love as well thrown in, and not just the main theme one either, watching it back.

Some great actors, Steve Buscemi plays a belter. And Liv Tyler in 1998 ;););););););)

Gotta be a 9/10 for me.

images.jpg

Pretty much the pinnacle of superhero movies for me - i'm drawn in from the moment of the opening to the end credits and have always watched in a single sitting, that said, much harder to watch these days with limited time and a child around most of the waking hours :D

I've probably watched it 6+ times since it came out, including the 3.5 hour ultimate cut twice.

It's somewhat depressing how much of a mess Snyder made of this subsequent movies, 300 and Watchmen are classics and he should have killed it at DC, instead, he helped kill DC. ;)

After all the hype, I watched Watchmen again. (I think I saw it back close to release, but not since) Agreed, very good movie. 8/10

Easily one of the better superhero films.

None of you seem to understand. I’m not locked in here with you. You’re locked in here with me!

Bird Box (2018) - 6 / 10

A good premise for an interesting psychological horror but it doesn’t really dwell on the threat or pay off.

Bullock leads a strong cast with a great performance as an expectant mother with attachment issues, but the formulaic plot with the generic multicultural cast of survivors being picked off one by one makes it rather predictable.

The trauma of an unstoppable invisible force isn’t really looked, the inclusions of the possessed humans felt unnecessary at and the time jump removes any sense of tension or suspense, but does allow for some beautiful scenery.

The ending was ok if a bit too convenient.

The Predator (2018)

What a disservice to the series. I could probably write a long essay on how poor it is, I wouldn't say it's really bad but it's so poor compared to how it could have been. I'm guessing they didn't have the budget?

Back
Top Bottom