What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
Dead Man's Shoes (2004)

I had never heard of this film until this week, based on a recommendation as I am partial to a good old revenge thriller.

Paddy Considine plays the part of a Para seeking payback in a small Midlands town. I thought it was decent if you like these sorts of movies.

"Yeah, it was me"

Soldato
Time Still Turns the Pages - 7.5 / 10

Had some time to kill yesterday so popped into watch this Chinese drama about a schoolteacher who reflects on his own traumatic upbringing when the school he works at find an anonymous suicide letter from one of the students.

Overall it was a slow burn, but very engaging throughout. But when the emotional punch came, man, I was surrounded by people crying in the cinema and was quite emotional all afternoon myself as it touched on a subject that's relevant to me.

Caporegime
Five Night at Freddies
Movie was ok! Never played the games, but I did like the idea behind it, some of the costumes were very good though. 7/10 ( slow to start, crappy actors )

Last edited:
Soldato
The Holdovers.

Simple story but I found it far more entertaining that most blockbusters. Paul Giamatti is a good actor so that helps, it had an 80s sort of feel to it, which I don't know what that means exactly but I thought it was a good film.

Soldato
Watched the first two Lord of the rings films recently after never really being that impressed by them previously, think I'd only watched them end to end once before.

This time they still didn't manage to keep my attention fully, don't think I'll watch the third or the Hobbit films.

I think they're really overrated and nothing grabs you, can't say any of the characters are likeable, Gandalf maybe?

4/10?

5 at a push? Very middle-of-the-road

Edit: I really did want to like the series, hence watching them recently but I guess they're just not for me...

Last edited:
Soldato
Dead Man's Shoes (2004)

I had never heard of this film until this week, based on a recommendation as I am partial to a good old revenge thriller.

Paddy Considine plays the part of a Para seeking payback in a small Midlands town. I thought it was decent if you like these sorts of movies.
Top film

Permabanned
John Wick 4. Just ridiculous with the overlong fights and batfink blazers. You could cut at least an hour and have a far better viewing experience. The first John Wick was vaguely plausible, but with each subsequent movie have become ridiculous, I mean a blind assassin, wtf, 4/10.
The stairs scene is the JW equivalent of the Fast And Furious 6 runway takeoff scene :cry: expect even longer and a mini film in itself in JW4 :rolleyes:

I watched "The Loft" again last night, a nice hidden gem, each time I rewatch it I always think I've remembered it all then there's a little "oh yeaaaahhhh" moment :) where I've forgotten something. Highly recommend this as a short but decent lil whodunnit.
7.5/10

Last edited:
Permabanned
Nah, Commando is up there with the best 80's cheese.
The bit when he says "WONNNNGGGG!!!" and blows matey away at the beginning is glorious and makes me laugh out loud hard everytime hahaha!

Yeah, it’s almost a parody of Hot Shots part Deux because of stuff like that, which is a literal parody of films like Commando.
Hot Shots Part Deux is amazing!!!
The bit with the picket fence :cry:

Last edited:
Permabanned
DEFINITELY watching Predator yet again tonight, might even follow it up with the sequel, because Danny Glover :)

Kindergarten Cop is a highly under-rated film IMHO too, at first it's silly but then it creeps up on you, and is literally about child snatchers - how the hell they got away with putting a swearing free version of this on every year casually on a sunday at 3pm on ITV is crazy!
I remember actually watching the uncut version and being like OHHHH... Haha!

The best one was when BBC1 at 8-9PM on a Friday started putting on heavily edited versions of 18's on tv (no not what you're thinking get your head out the gutter ;)) and one week they did T2, they just removed all the F bombs and only let him drop S's... And removed a bit of the gore hahaha!

Soldato
DEFINITELY watching Predator yet again tonight, might even follow it up with the sequel, because Danny Glover :)

Kindergarten Cop is a highly under-rated film IMHO too, at first it's silly but then it creeps up on you, and is literally about child snatchers - how the hell they got away with putting a swearing free version of this on every year casually on a sunday at 3pm on ITV is crazy!
I remember actually watching the uncut version and being like OHHHH... Haha!

The best one was when BBC1 at 8-9PM on a Friday started putting on heavily edited versions of 18's on tv (no not what you're thinking get your head out the gutter ;)) and one week they did T2, they just removed all the F bombs and only let him drop S's... And removed a bit of the gore hahaha!
Watched predator a few weeks back. Never get sick of that film! One of the few 10/10 films.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Watched predator a few weeks back. Never get sick of that film! One of the few 10/10 films.
It's infinitely rewatchable like 99% of the great 80's-90's stuff.

I love Days Of Thunder as well. SO good. And he did a lot of the driving himself in that, there's a pretty good making of.
This bit is hilarious!

The Firm is also a great older TC film too. Obviously Cocktail etc are decent too, but I feel not many people mention The Firm.

The Usual Suspects is also one of my favourite films ever, rewatch that loads every year as with HEAT etc etc...

Last edited:
Soldato
Rewatched Predator at the cinema last year - amazing on a huge screen with great sound and a respectful audience.

That's Alien, Aliens & Predator done, need terminator next on the big screen.
Ah I really want to see Predator at the cinema, was it at an independent place?

Back
Top Bottom