What film did you watch last night?

Associate
Despicable Me 4 (2024) - 6/10

A colourful animation filled with wacky escapades and family heart, but it lacked that spark that which makes a film great.

The main story was ok but not particularly strong and it felt more like ‘The Incredibles’ than ‘Despicable Me’. Still, there was plenty of minion antics and humourous scenes, although this did make the plot feel less cohesive, and the Mega-Minions were a nice addition, but they didn’t really do much or feed into the main plot.

Some good characters but also some poor ones who heavily relied on stereotypes for humour, and some jokes just fell flat.

Associate
Twisters (2024) - 8/10

An exhilarating ride of going up against the extremes of nature – the thrill of the chase is infectious and makes for a fun and entertaining film.

The weather effects look realistic, the characters have charm and the modern plot elements fitted in well, as did showing the human consequences of the events.

The story was straightforward with no real surprises, the leads’ relationship was very downplayed and the human impact was skimmed over, but it was highly enjoyable with plenty of spectacle and some good music, even if it was a bit cliché and a bit corny at times.

Soldato
Settlers

Treading a fine line between being serious and realistic at the risk of lacking in plot and excitement.

Early on I predicted the ending as it seemed to be developing as essentially the same story* to a Play for Today adaptation of Z for Zachariah I saw quite a while back. Although as far as I'm aware no link between the two is acknowledged. There is also a 2015 movie adaptation of Z for Zachariah, but I haven't seen that.

Girl living on a protected farm survives the war that ends the world. Her family then get killed/disappear and a strange man arrives and moves in. Ultimately he decides to rape her, she kills him and leaves the safety of the farm to head out into the deadly, unprotected world on her own.

Soldato
Twisters (2024) - 8/10

An exhilarating ride of going up against the extremes of nature – the thrill of the chase is infectious and makes for a fun and entertaining film.

The weather effects look realistic, the characters have charm and the modern plot elements fitted in well, as did showing the human consequences of the events.

The story was straightforward with no real surprises, the leads’ relationship was very downplayed and the human impact was skimmed over, but it was highly enjoyable with plenty of spectacle and some good music, even if it was a bit cliché and a bit corny at times.
Have you seen the original Twoster? It's far superior and a lot more exhilarating.

Back
Top Bottom