What film did you watch last night?

Ready Player One.
Not the first time I've seen this film but I enjoyed it just as much. Visuals are good and it will appeal to those who are young as well as gen x/millennial who can relate to the video game references.

I didn't like it the first time I saw it but subsequent viewings have improved it for me.

The issue was I finished the book the morning I went to the cinema to see it and, as it usually is in book to film, a lot was not included in the film so I hated it.

My takeaway was never watch a film, for the first time, that's based on a book you've just finished reading.

The issue was I finished the book the morning I went to the cinema to see it and, as it usually is in book to film, a lot was not included in the film so I hated it.

My takeaway was never watch a film, for the first time, that's based on a book you've just finished reading.

I've applied that rule since I saw 'The Lost World: Jurassic Park' :D

Ready Player One.
Not the first time I've seen this film but I enjoyed it just as much. Visuals are good and it will appeal to those who are young as well as gen x/millennial who can relate to the video game references.
I love that film. So many old references I get. Saw it the second time a couple of days ago.

The Instigators 8/10

Saw mixed reviews on this and I just don't get it. Matt Damon and Casey Affleck really should do more comedies as they landed this one, for me. I actually forgot Doug Liman directed it until some of the chase scenes kicked off then it clicked. Solid.

Last edited:
Bad Boys Ride or Die (2024)

I quite liked the first two films, but they were very much of their time. The third and forth films don't quite have the same impact as they haven't really moved on but my tastes have. While I can still enjoy "popcorn movies", they tend to be have me eye rolling more and being more critical of how dumb they are. Or more how dumb the things the characters say or do.

There's some enjoyment to be had from this forth instalment, but it's all style over substance and what style it does have has been stolen from other film makers.

5/10

Borderlands - 3/10

Why did they even bother? Characters were so poorly done, never mind the cobbled together story (heard it was massacred in editing).

Watched this last night and my thoughts exactly.

It's been recently remastered in UHD and looks great too.

8/10

Wind River
Great performances by Elizabeth olsen and Jeremy renner. Pretty tough to watch in places, but well made and compelling story.
7/10

If you haven't seen it, give Hell and High Water a go, also written by Taylor Sheridan and part of his Neo Western trilogy that also includes Sicario.

Also in a similar vein is a film with Ben Foster called Galveston.

Last edited:
If you haven't seen it, give Hell and High Water a go, also written by Taylor Sheridan and part of his Neo Western trilogy that also includes Sicario.

Also in a similar vein is a film with Ben Foster called Galveston.
I can't remember what happens in Hell or High Water but i remember it being good.
Films with Ben Foster in always seem to be good or great. I'll watch Galveston when i get a chance.

The Sadness - 2/10.

I wish I’d turned it off. Some of the gore effects were good, but gore for gore’s sake does not make for a good film.

Then there was the acting, which was awful, you don’t care for any of the characters and the story was non-existent. The pacing and any sort of development just falls off a cliff halfway through too.

I must be getting old.

Last edited:
Road house, the remake...
Why Gyllenhall did this I'll never know. I think they spent the entire production budget on his wages, cause the rest of it was utterly terrible, including that **** McGregor.

0/10

Last edited:
Doing more of our Disney/Pixar catchup before we visit Disney World next year

Encanto - I really can't see what all the love is about on this one. The family are absolutely horrendous, forced Bruno out and when he came back, he was apologising and them forgiving him rather than the other way round. Will say the animation detail was spectacular, and the fireworks scene certainly looks amazing on a good OLED screen but overall, Moana is the significantly better film.

Cinderella - All time classic and the 4k restoration from the original negative was extremely needed. One of Disney's more iconic, style defining movies.

Followed up by watching Blade. Always great. :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom