What film did you watch last night?

Caporegime
i have to agree. the fighting is terrible. its just like his whole concept is to let them tire themselves out beating him up, then he hits them when they are knackered. compared to more modern films it just doesnt hold up.

Even before you get to the actual detail of the fighting, it just looks and sounds terrible. There were scenes when I honestly had to force myself to believe they were hitting each other because it's so manifestly clear that they aren't connecting.

And sure, it won oscars for best picture, director and editing, but it won those a long time ago. As I say - maybe you just had to be there.

Soldato
Interstate 60, 2nd time i've watched this now. Not your everyday film but a very underated one!
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0165832/
I've had this sat in the movie collection for year now and only got round to watching it this week. Completely took me by surprise as for some reason when I loaded it up I had it in mind it was one of those horror/thriller road movies.

It’s very different but very enjoyable, very Outer Limits/Eerie Indiana like.

Soldato
I've had this sat in the movie collection for year now and only got round to watching it this week. Completely took me by surprise as for some reason when I loaded it up I had it in mind it was one of those horror/thriller road movies.

It’s very different but very enjoyable, very Outer Limits/Eerie Indiana like.

one of my all-time fave movies. i had to get it imported as you couldnt buy it over here at the time.

i originally saw it on divx many years ago and had to go buy it. IMO better than his back to the future movies.

Caporegime
How many films from the 70's are up to todays standards? In regards to visuals/sounds/effects (not story).

Not many, sure, but it really spoilt the suspension of disbelief for me that the fights looked so bad. And then the story really wasn't all that, so it wasn't worth overlooking it. If I want to watch an underdog fighting film there are plenty of modern examples with better stories and better effects.

Soldato
... let them tire themselves out beating him up, then he hits them when they are knackered.

Surely, though, this is the fun of it all.
You support Rocky.
He looks like he is getting beaten up.
You feel sorry for him.
Then he EXPLODES!

Real Steel followed exactly the same formula. This has a shed load of CGI if modern film-making is your thing. That small robot could take one heck of a beating and just wouldn't stay down.

I believe Warrior also followed a similar formula.

The movie would be a bore if Rocky came out, all guns blazing and knocked his opponent out in 10 seconds. There wouldn't be any drama to it.

I love the Rocky movies.
A lot of it depends on just how much you like the Rocky character (down to Earth, in love with a simple woman, doesn't sleep around, is generally nice to all those around him...an overall nice guy).

Soldato
I'm watching 24 season 4 at the moment.

It's been a while since i've watch any 24. I can't believe how awful the acting and script are. You forget that if you have some time away.

Totally addicted though :D

LOL yeh some of the acting is really bad and the scripts aren't the best. However I can't stop watching it, so dam good :p

Back
Top Bottom