What film did you watch last night?

One

One

Soldato
Road to Perdition (2002) - 7/10

Very slow start but then the story kicks in and you realise it's actually a pretty good film. The only thing that annoyed me was the end.

I mean, anyone switched on realised the kid at the start said exactly how long he spent with his father so we know he dies but what a lapse of judgement. He knew the assassin, he knew the assassin was still alive because he shot him in the arm when he was leaving, and he also said at the diner that the assassin would know about the beach house. Just seems silly he wouldn't check the place out before just waltzing in and getting shot to death.

Associate
Watched the american remake of Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, enjoyable dark and well shot i felt.

7/10

I have previously watch the original films but not read the books. I felt the new remake did do it justice tho some of the sheer violence and hatred seemed removed.

Soldato
watched 'hugo'

beautiful movie. great script. great acting (the kids and ben kingsley were superb) and great cinematography. not really a kids film as its quite slow and i would imagine they would be bored but i enjoyed it. 8/10

Soldato
Battleship

Well.....Im not sure, Its a cross between battleship and crysis (the game) it killed time, things got destroyed, big guns etc.....not great though, 6/10 but at the same time, I like rubbish films that I dont have to think about.

Soldato
The good doctor - Seems like it was a good story line, but felt somewhat disappointed with the way the whole film panned out, could have been much better. The ending what a bit - Huh?? and left you feeling a bit lost as to what happened to the main character after it all.

5.5/10

Soldato
Battleship 6/10 pretty decent effects and stuff does indeed get blown up. Doesn't really do anything else.

The film is called battleship because they sort of play Battleship whilst trying to destroy the alien ships. Well, OK, I'll go with that but when they destroy the big ship at the end you get a shot of the enemy ship bridge and you see an image of the alien ship and an image of the old warship on their monitors. Now hang on a minute, I thought the game of Battleship was because we didn't show up on their radar anymore than they did on ours?

Also watched:

Panic Button - an overly generous 2/10. Just because your British and have a low budget doesn't give you an excuse to make a poor film.

War of the Worlds - 8/10 I know this film doesn't get much love but I really like it. Watched with my daughter of 10 and she actually enjoyed it which was a surprise (being of a Disney Channel generation)

Cloverfield - 8/10 same again. Really like it although I know many don't.

Last edited:
Soldato
Haywire

Good cast - Fassbender, McGregor, Tatum and even Banderas and Douglas.

Gina Carano - all you ever wanted with regards to a good looking woman who can kick ass.

6/10

Good fight choreography and action in general, but let down by a poor story and poor dialogue, generally in Carano's character. Some parts of the film were also really sloooow.

Shame, had looked forward to it.

Soldato
Ted - 8/10

Some really risky humour and an obsession with Flash Gordon made this an hilarious watch. It doesn't try to change the world, it's just typical Seth Mcfarlane. Well worth a watch for anybody.

Did really like the acknowledgement this time around that, this is a Teddy Bear that's walking and talking.

Soldato
Watched "Tucker and Dale Versus Evil" on Saturday on someone's recommendation on this thread - thoroughly enjoyed it with some real laugh out loud moments! - 8/10

On Sunday I watched "Battleship" - not bad - just turn off your brain and watch type film imo! - 7/10
It got exponentially better once I realised it was actually based on the board game though - loads of slightly weird references that you recognise after the event! :D

Loved the alien bombs resembling the pegs that you use in the game!!!! :p

Soldato
I watched "The Happening". My god what an awful film. It did have some laugh out loud moments due to how terrible it was.

Anyone seen it?

I went to the cinema to see that. Eugh, terrible. Ironically, for a film called The Happening, nothing ever really does seem to happen. So dull, no idea what Zooey Deschanel was thinking when she signed up for it, and Wahlberg's performance can be summed up simply with:

"Whaaaaat? Noooooo...."

Watched "Tucker and Dale Versus Evil" on Saturday on someone's recommendation on this thread - thoroughly enjoyed it with some real laugh out loud moments! - 8/10

Yes, great film! Not that many people seem to have heard of it, but it's really funny.

Soldato
I went to the cinema to see that. Eugh, terrible. Ironically, for a film called The Happening, nothing ever really does seem to happen. So dull, no idea what Zooey Deschanel was thinking when she signed up for it, and Wahlberg's performance can be summed up simply with:

"Whaaaaat? Noooooo...."

Yes, great film! Not that many people seem to have heard of it, but it's really funny.

Because Zooey Deschanel is a moron. She is a low calibre when it comes to acting, she only plays complete morons. 500 Days she got lucky, great script and director. What does she do afterwards... Straight back to her default.

Soldato
I watched "The Happening". My god what an awful film. It did have some laugh out loud moments due to how terrible it was.

Anyone seen it?

I liked it but was no classic or especially brilliant at any point. Very hard concept to pull off though, its no wonder nobody liked it.

A movie that should have been a book I think is best take on it

Also watched Primer. Think this shares a similar fault, movies trying to prove a point. night was writing with a green theme and this film is some kinda arty take on a sci fi where they dont skip the gritty bits.
time travel movies never make sense right, well this is a different take on that and the paradox consequences etc

won a bunch of awards apparently but this makes almost zero attempt to be entertaining, very confusing and I didnt really catch onto any clever unique storyline. At least Night was original in his movie, this is a concept on film not an actual movie? One to watch in physics class 4/10

The Happening has also attracted academic attention. Joseph J. Foy, professor of politics and popular culture, describes Shyamalan's film as an expression of "post-environmentalism" in which traditional paradigmatic politics are replaced with a call for the world to "embrace a revolutionary reevaluation of wealth and prosperity not in terms of monetary net worth or material possessions, but in terms of overall well-being"
:o

I thought Primer was pretty poor to be honest. I appreciate the merit of how it was made, but just didnt do anythign for me. Suffered through to the end though, and it still plays a valid part in my wall poster!

http://www.xkcd.com/657/
lol 10/10

Last edited:
Soldato
Because Zooey Deschanel is a moron. She is a low calibre when it comes to acting, she only plays complete morons. 500 Days she got lucky, great script and director. What does she do afterwards... Straight back to her default.

Harsh! I usually like her stuff: Tin Man, The Go-Getter, Yes Man, 500 Days, and The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. All pretty good performances from her there. I quite like her in New Girl too, although her character does start to grate a bit after a while.

Soldato
V/H/S/ - erm still trying to actually work out what the hell was going on, why it was happening or what was the point. Gory and slightly scary make it a 6/10 but still no idea really what was going on.

Ted - Kind of hit and miss really, some funny parts, some risque parts but on the whole a bit **** really. I'm just sick of seeing Mark Wahlberg tbh. Girlfriend fell asleep and shes loves Family Guy etc so couldn't have been that great - 5/10

Back
Top Bottom