What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
Total Recall, gets a "meh" from me. Nothing particularly wrong with it, great looking in parts, Kate Beckinsale was good, it's ok.

I understand what Van Hellseek is saying with respect to it being a film based on the original short story, but fundamentally it's the same story as the Arnie movie so comparisons are fair. I didn't feel the latest version was executed with the same level of heart, flair and spectacle. There was one nice nod to the Arnie/Verhoven original, somewhat spoiled by the trailers (no, not the three breasted woman).

Verhoeven seemed to bring something unique to all his movies. i still love a few of his movies. the satire, the social commentary & quirkiness, nobody else does it better...

Soldato
The Hunger Games - 6-7/10

Decided to give it the benefit of the doubt due to Jennifer Lawrence. Seemed to be widely bashed on here.

Got to say wasn't that terrible, of course it was never going to be the brutal massacre that is Battle Royale, but i'd hardly say it was bad, concept was good, I even thought it was shot relatively well, along with some of the design work.

But without reading the book I can't really make a comparison to how readers must have imagined it.

Overall it wasn't a waste of time for me, but I can understand where the potential and the product might have annoyed some.

Last edited:
Associate
The Day of the Triffids - 2/10 (1962 version)

Good grief this has aged horribly, time has not been kind with this classic.

One of those films that is best left in memory.

Soldato
The new film is not a remake of the Arnie movie. But rather it's a more accurate realisation of the original short story by Philip K Dick. Comparing it to the Arnie movie (which was only loosely based on the original story) is unfair. They are two completely different films, and should not be compared with each other at all.

I haven't seen it yet(going tomorrow) but I very much doubt this. For example, I can see the names Kohagen and Melina on the cast list......plus some of the scenes I have seen look very much like the Arnie movie, and were certainly never in the short-story(which would only make a 5 minute film).

Soldato
Shadow Dancer

9/10

A stunning film surrounding an IRA informant. Brilliantly filmed, and very tense. Loved it

did u know there is a book called shadow dancer by tom bradby, afaik the film is based on the book as the story line is the same.

recorded saying private ryan a few weeks back, still a classic, and the beach landing is such a powerfull portrayal of war it still gets to me

Soldato
I haven't seen it yet(going tomorrow) but I very much doubt this. For example, I can see the names Kohagen and Melina on the cast list......plus some of the scenes I have seen look very much like the Arnie movie, and were certainly never in the short-story(which would only make a 5 minute film).

Sigh...

Do I have to explain this again, Total Recall uses the Arnie title to bring in the easier viewers, the Arnie film was a very loose adaption of the Phillip K Dick story, We Can Sell It To You Wholesale, the characters names are the same, the way the story is told, played out and what it involves is very different to Total Recall.

This is a closer adaption of the original story, but uses the Popular title as it is already a name that will pull people in, it's purely a Marketing ploy, and it would be very unfair to judge it against the Arnie film, as it is not aiming at the same thing.

I don't want to go into spoilers on differences.

Soldato
Well I am going to see it now, so I will see for myself soon enough. All I can say is that I see nothing to suggest that it is in any way a closer adaptation(and btw it is 'We Can Remember It For You Wholesale'). If the ending is the same as the short story though, I will be happy, as it is one of my favourites.

And if it isn't a remake strictly, then it is certainly a rip-off.

Soldato
Sigh...

Do I have to explain this again, Total Recall uses the Arnie title to bring in the easier viewers, the Arnie film was a very loose adaption of the Phillip K Dick story, We Can Sell It To You Wholesale, the characters names are the same, the way the story is told, played out and what it involves is very different to Total Recall.

This is a closer adaption of the original story, but uses the Popular title as it is already a name that will pull people in, it's purely a Marketing ploy, and it would be very unfair to judge it against the Arnie film, as it is not aiming at the same thing.

I don't want to go into spoilers on differences.

It's actually not closer to the original story. In the original story there's mention of Mars and aliens. There is not in the new version of the film.

There's many references to the Arnie film in the new film. While the new director clearly isn't using the original as a reference point, he's clearly very aware of its existence.

Soldato
Just Watched The Woman In Black, remake with Daniel Radcliffe. I love a good gothic horror and Was led to believe this had some good scares. Well......not for me I'm afraid, I don't think I jumped once. The premise is unbelievably scary but in this case poorly executed imo, it should and could've been terrifying but it just seemed weak and watery to me.

The setting was suitably spooky and I suppose some of the shots of The Woman In Black were quite effective, but other than that nothing really struck me as being particularly well done. Disappointed.:(

Don
Columbo : Murder By The Book

Never get tired of this one, I think it's Jack Cassidy's smile and charm that make it. He is a great Columbo villain, think he's been in 3 or 4 of them :)

7/10

Back
Top Bottom