What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
Brave

It's good, however it is far too Disney. Saying that it is still very good, it's just not what I've come to expect from Pixar. I think the real issue I have with it is that unlike Pixars previous films which aren't really aimed at boys or girls but happen to feature male lead charcters, Brave is very much aimed at girls with it's "mother/daughter relationship" vibe. Unfortunately unlike most Pixar films, it just doesn't hold any value for an older (and specifically male) viewer. As usual from Pixar the animation and art design is beautiful and the voice acting is superb, unfortunately the substance just isn't there.

Dredd

I thoroughly enjoyed it but it didn't quite blow me away. There are some excellent scenes and it is FAR more Dredd than the Stallone movie but it's also just not quite gripping enough. There is just never quite enough happening and most of the action scenes either ended too quickly or dragged out too long. One thing I have to say is that Urban makes a great Dredd, he has that right kind of detachment mixed with self assurance without the "I AM....THE LURE" obnoxiousness that Stallone puked in every scene he was in.

Have to say it could be the beginning of a great franchise if they decide to make more.

Last edited:
Soldato
Men in Black 3, could have been better but the series of films imo can't do much wrong 6/10

Anyone else think that J was leading up to having to die to save K, thus kind of making a cycle where he constantly goes back to save K so that's why K recruits and teaches him everything MiB? I think if the film was aimed at an older audience that probably would have worked better than it being his father that had to be the death to save a life thingy

Soldato
Saw Lawless the other night.

Absolutely stonking film. Really enjoyed it. Some parts of the film are very brutal though so be warned. Great performances from the three main actors too: Tom Hardy, Shia LaBeouf and Guy Pearce.

Some parts had the audience laughing, some parts hiding away at the more gruesome scenes. Really enjoying though.

7/10.

Agree with that, probably give it a 7 or an 8 out of 10. I thought the characters were great and the story was pretty decent too. As said in post above, its pretty violent right from the first scene and definately worthy of its 18 certificate.

It kept me intrigued throughout and there was plenty of humour and suspense. Forrest is a great character. I would definately watch it again and surprisingly, even my gf liked it, desite the brutality.

Commissario
I watched Shaun of the Dead (on blu) yesterday, I'd forgotten how good it is.
I'd completely forgotten about various bits like the blood spurt when he pulls the dart out.

I'd probably give it an 8/10 for basically hitting the mark spot on :)

Soldato
Cabin In The Woods - 7/10, not bad but nothing exemplary really. From what I understand it was meant to satire teen horror films and revitalise the horror genre, but it didn't really set itself apart from the rest of them.

Also watched The Hunger Games the night before last, would have to give that 8/10. Found the first hour or so a bit boring, nothing was really elaborated on (why was their world the way it is?) and it just felt a been too typical, but after the actual Hunger Games began it improved immensely. Jennifer Lawrence is a great actor too (and stunning), I'll be interested to see what she's like in some more 'serious' films.

Last edited:
Soldato
So why did you?

Because all i've heard for the last week is comparisons between the two, it was natural that i'd do the same myself and I did so without even really realising.

I felt a need to point out that they are different styles of movie, The Raid being very martial art based and Dredd being a futuristic post apocalyptic gun fest :)

Back
Top Bottom