What film did you watch last night?

Associate
Scream 4 - 6/10
Didn't expect too much after the 3rd but found it enjoyable, even if the killer(s)? were obvious from the beginning. The opening scenes were absolutely terrible though. Courteney Cox's botox lips did ruin quite a few scenes but plastic surgery riles me so other people may not be affected.

Soldato
My Left Foot - 9/10

Daniel Day-Lewis. Urr, not much else to say. Great story about a pretty extraordinary guy, great screenplay based on a great book, and a genuinely spectacular performance from My Day-Lewis, again.

I would definitely recommend it. :)

Soldato
Man on a Ledge 7/10 Have watched a few movies of late and this was probably the best one of the moment. Not stunning as such but made sense and wasn't too far fetched. Billy Elliot's Mrs in it is lovely.

Soldato
The Lost World: Jurassic Park - 2/5

Pointless and stupid cash-in. Spielberg should have stayed well clear. I thought the JP4 idea had disappeared without a trace, sadly it hasn't.

Soldato
Dark City - odd, but good odd, dystopian film where a guy wakes up with no memory and tries to figure out if he is a murderer or not. I really like this film I hadn't seen it in ages and couldn't help thinking how much The Matrix borrowed from it. 4/5

The two films were released to close together imo, the Matrix would have had to been made very quickly or someone stole the script, one cannot have borrowed from the other. Can a film like the matrix be made in less than a year!

Last edited:
Caporegime
Dark City - odd, but good odd, dystopian film where a guy wakes up with no memory and tries to figure out if he is a murderer or not. I really like this film I hadn't seen it in ages and couldn't help thinking how much The Matrix borrowed from it. 4/5

Dark City was released in May 1998. The Matrix was released in March 1999. The most The Matrix borrowed from Dark City is a set.

Soldato
Dune, 8/10. Seen it before, but every now and then it's worth another look.

Really! Each to their own and all, but its a cult classic because it's basically so bad that it's funny!
What is with that flying dude and the heart plugs, come on, lasers coming out of some mutated space creature ass.

Permabanned
Dark City was released in May 1998. The Matrix was released in March 1999. The most The Matrix borrowed from Dark City is a set.

Dark City is the arguably the better film, particularly when taken in the context of the Matrix sequels.

While there are similarities in the premise and concept of each movie, they are very different films both in scope and context. The idea of a hyper pseudo reality is hardly ground breaking even in 1998/99 after all.

Soldato
Oh brother where art thou

8/10

Really enjoyed this, very good cast and very funny movie.

One of my all time favorites, mainly though because it was the last film I watched with my late grandma. She had grown up in the same time and place as the film, it brought back memories for her and it was nice hearing her reminisce.

Back
Top Bottom