What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
The Imposter

A strange concept if you read a summary, but it is captivating and riveting. Fantastic watch, if a little drawn out. I recommend.

4/5 ****

Soldato
Enemy of the State (1998)

The bit where guy reveals his birthday as being 9/11/40 (Sept 11th), got me intrigued as to its coincidence with 9/11.

Discovered this website listing more such references to 9/11 - http://rense.com/general83/911sc.htm

The one in the Matrix is particularly spooky - "In the 1999 film The Matrix, the expiration date of the passport of Keanu Reeve's character Neo is September 11, 2001."

Caporegime
Dark City is the arguably the better film, particularly when taken in the context of the Matrix sequels.

While there are similarities in the premise and concept of each movie, they are very different films both in scope and context. The idea of a hyper pseudo reality is hardly ground breaking even in 1998/99 after all.

Indeed. It would be much more fair to say that they share similar roots than to say that one copied the other.

Caporegime
Enemy of the State (1998)

The bit where guy reveals his birthday as being 9/11/40 (Sept 11th), got me intrigued as to its coincidence with 9/11.

Discovered this website listing more such references to 9/11 - http://rense.com/general83/911sc.htm

The one in the Matrix is particularly spooky - "In the 1999 film The Matrix, the expiration date of the passport of Keanu Reeve's character Neo is September 11, 2001."

This way madness lies.

Caporegime
We watched Anna Karenina. My wife enjoyed it more than me. The screenplay and acting were fine, but I found the inconsistent styling frustrating. I'm not sure if it was badly done or if I butler didn't get it, but the intermittent shifts between things in the theatre and outside annoyed me. I'd have been happier if it had all been in the theatre, all the time. Also, I had no sympathy for Anna - she bought it all on herself and deserved everything she got. I was much more interested in the farmer and the princess.

Soldato
Dredd - 7/10

I enjoyed it although the 95% (last time I checked) on Rotten Tomatoes left me expecting more than what I actually got. Which is a shame cause the guys I went with entered the cinema with no expectations and enjoyed the hell out of it but I left feeling a little cold.

I liked the way it constantly mocked the audience, how Dredd was utterly indifferent to the brutality of things going on around him, the way the comic book violence was hugely over the top and the direction is pretty cool in places. Really good use of 3D too.

Associate
The Big Chill 7/10

Watched this oldie with the gf and have to say I quite liked it. Some funny moments and a good story line. It is kind of like a breakfast club for adults or what the breakfast club would be like 20 years after the film. This probably makes no sense but here is a link to the film

The Big Chill

Soldato
I enjoyed it although the 95% (last time I checked) on Rotten Tomatoes left me expecting more than what I actually got. Which is a shame cause the guys I went with entered the cinema with no expectations and enjoyed the hell out of it but I left feeling a little cold.

I liked the way it constantly mocked the audience, how Dredd was utterly indifferent to the brutality of things going on around him, the way the comic book violence was hugely over the top and the direction is pretty cool in places. Really good use of 3D too.

I know exactly what you mean. I personally went into the cinema with fairly low expectations, I actually thought I was going to end up hating this movie. But I turned out liking it instead.

I liked the 3D effects, especially during the Slo-Mo moments, but I'm glad they kept those shots to a minimum throughout the movie. Too much of that would have got annoying.

Soldato
Indeed. It would be much more fair to say that they share similar roots than to say that one copied the other.

Apologies for opening a can of worms, I suppose what I originally meant to say was that the Matrix gets a lot of credit when Dark City explored similar themes first (or practically at the same time), oh and the roof top set as you mentioned.

Anyway last night I watched the 91 year old Charlie Chaplin film The Kid, and loved every minute of it, the kid was brilliant and Mr Chaplin, who wrote, produced and directed and also scored while going through a divorce was superb. But then he did get paid $1.5m for it in 1921 so he was rewarded! 5/5

Caporegime
Apologies for opening a can of worms, I suppose what I originally meant to say was that the Matrix gets a lot of credit when Dark City explored similar themes first (or practically at the same time), oh and the roof top set as you mentioned.

Yeah, fair enough. I suppose The Matrix did it in a more mainstream friendly way, what with the martial arts and gunfights, and the generally faster pace. Dark City is more brooding.

Associate
Watched the new Total Recall.

Pretty generic sci fi film to be honest, certainly nothing new in there to get excited about.

I would say 6/10. Not terrible but I wouldn't rush to see it again.

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
Dark City is the arguably the better film, particularly when taken in the context of the Matrix sequels.

While there are similarities in the premise and concept of each movie, they are very different films both in scope and context. The idea of a hyper pseudo reality is hardly ground breaking even in 1998/99 after all.

The Thirteenth Floor was another similar-ish type film, I rather liked it.

Back
Top Bottom