What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
Django Unchained - 8/10

Pretty good , was dissapointed by the last few films QT did , this is a return to form. A few bits were a little too cheesey but damn good none the less

Soldato
Skyfall - 6/10. Another bond film let down by uninteresting villains. I'm not sure Javier Bardem's character could 'crush a grape' or 'test drive a tonka'. Limp and effeminate.

I quite liked it, a definite step up from Quantum of Pantsness imo - some nice nods to the Bond films of old too!

I do know what you mean though, Bond needs a proper bad guy - one that wants to take over the world, not just one that set's the most ridiculously elaborate chain of events in motion to accomplish a pretty simple end!

As far as crackers plots go, watched Jack Reacher the other night - decent'ish film with some good spots but again, possibly the most elaborate plot to cover up an alarmingly simple crime! - 7/10

Caporegime
The Way Back. Peter "Truman Show" Weir directs Ed Harris, Colin Farrell and a few others as they escape a Russian WW2 gulag in Siberia and walk to India. Allegedly based on a true story. It was ok but... Not much happens, I'm afraid to say. It's a bit slow.

Associate
Last 3 nights;

Skyfall - 5/10 I just don't see what all the fuss is about :(
Hobbit - 8/10 Slow start but built nicely. NOW GIVE US THE NEXT ONE DAMNIT! :p
Looper - 7/10 Had no idea what it was about before hand. Predictable ending but fun overall.

Soldato
I enjoyed Skyfall. Definitely the strangest Bond yet.
Agree that Bardem's character was a little lame.

Either way, QoS was so forgettable... All I remember was the cliched 'building exploding around me, must escape' ending :/

Soldato
Watched a few the past week or so:

Young Adult

Jason Reitman & Diablo Cody (Juno) re-teaming. expected great things...

Disappointed, couldn't connect with the character at all, she just comes across as a *****. I watch East Bound & Down and can enjoy Kenny Powers, but this was just horrible, didn't laugh once, and only had 1 stand out scene.

the only real redeeming part was that Charlize Theron played the character well in that I had a genuine dislike of her.

Watch-able, but not recommendable, sadly...

5/10

Moneyball

Aaron Sorkin pretty much being my favourite writer, I went in with some big expectations

Wasn't disappointed in the slightest, it doesn't have any of Sorkin's usual inspiring speeches, or cut throat dialogue, but it is fantastic, understated writing that delivers a character piece I really enjoyed. Acting was great, story was inspiring, direction was well done and the soundtrack was a stand out too. In a similar vein to Friday Night Lights.

8/10

The Town

My first experience with Ben Affleck as a director.

Got to say, he knocked it out of the park, difficult to pin point exactly how though, just everything fit together well, and even at 2 hours 30, for a film of it's kind, every scene felt necessary.

9/10

Soldato
Moneyball

Aaron Sorkin pretty much being my favourite writer, I went in with some big expectations

Wasn't disappointed in the slightest, it doesn't have any of Sorkin's usual inspiring speeches, or cut throat dialogue, but it is fantastic, understated writing that delivers a character piece I really enjoyed. Acting was great, story was inspiring, direction was well done and the soundtrack was a stand out too. In a similar vein to Friday Night Lights.

8/10

Sorking worked the third version of the screenplay, though, so that's probably the reason why it doesn't bare many of his hallmarks.

The Town

My first experience with Ben Affleck as a director.

Got to say, he knocked it out of the park, difficult to pin point exactly how though, just everything fit together well, and even at 2 hours 30, for a film of it's kind, every scene felt necessary.

9/10

Affleck is a really good writer and director. Gone Baby Gone is really good too. Yet to see Argo, mind you, but it's supposedly awesome as well.

Soldato
The Hobbit - 7/10.

Knocked marks off because it just took SOOOO long to get going. An hour must have passed and nothing happened. I know it is to be expected with this particular franchise but I just didn't find the film as engaging as LOTR. The Gollum scenes were excellent though.

Back
Top Bottom