What film did you watch last night?

Seven Psychopaths

Enjoyable film with some great funny moments and a pretty good plot with nice twists to it. Great cast too (although wasn't too keen on Colin Farrell)

7.5/10

It's that face she keeps pulling isn't it? I can't describe it, but if you know what I mean, then you know what I mean :D.
What did you find that they got wrong?

Hah, quite possibly :-)

What did they get wrong?

The City, law masters, uniforms and general look of the citizens, I think Stallones version did a far better job of portraying megacity 1 as it appeared in 2000AD, I did however love the fact that it was Anderson's assessment, kind of made the film for me, well that and the fact of the various Ch:)pper, Kenny and other graffiti dotted around.

Little Red Riding Hood.

Terrible movie.

Love triangle don't feel real, terrible acting, none of the cast felt like they believe in it and the casting is terrible on almost all fronts.

Story wise, besides the fact how bad a shot those archers are, who probably can't hit fish in a barrel. How did she kill the wolf with those bare hands? Just because it has silver finger nails....it's not like the nails are pointy like a silver knife and fingers with joints which bends!

And sex out in sub zero temps? Come on ! There is a perfectly nice warm house right there !

1/10

What did they get wrong?

The City, law masters, uniforms and general look of the citizens, I think Stallones version did a far better job of portraying megacity 1 as it appeared in 2000AD, I did however love the fact that it was Anderson's assessment, kind of made the film for me, well that and the fact of the various Ch:)pper, Kenny and other graffiti dotted around.

I agree, the Stallone version did do a great job with the city effects. It looked fairly close the later comics.
I was a bit disappointed with the city in the latest one too, but I let it go as you could argue that it's early in the city's evolution as well as Dredd's career and it's also not far off the way it looked in Ezquerras's early comics. Then there's the budget thing and maybe they were trying to ground it a little. Nolan style.
The uniform is an example of that theory, as the massive eagle and house sized shoulder pad would look a little silly and wouldn't really be that functional in day to day stuff. I think they made a good compromise with the body armour approach and I liked what they did with the eagle.
The bikes were crap though. Need monster truck tyres :D

What did they get wrong?

That's a little unfair, considering it was an independent production made over 15 years later that the Stallone blockbuster for under half the budget (not inflation adjusted). IMO they spent the budget where it mattered and made a decent movie that didn't try an over-reach itself.

I'd really like to see what they could do with a pile of cash as regards a sequel.

That's a little unfair, considering it was an independent production made over 15 years later that the Stallone blockbuster for under half the budget (not inflation adjusted). IMO they spent the budget where it mattered and made a decent movie that didn't try an over-reach itself.

I'd really like to see what they could do with a pile of cash as regards a sequel.

That's taking my comment somewhat out of context.

People need to remember that in Dredd, it's the early days of Megacity 1. It isn't a hive yet, the building's (Tower Blocks) don't encompass the landscape so you get no sunlight when on the ground within the city.

This allowed the designers and creative team to work on a smaller budget and also for the writing to not overreach.

Personally I thought they hit the nail on the head, it's a great introduction to the character of Dredd, which hands down beat the Stallone version.

This isn't to slate the Stallone version, yes he shouldn't have taken the helmet off, but the Stallone version was good, and had a really ambitious production in terms of design and scale for it's time which should be admired, and you can see what they were aiming for.

Not really. You said "what did they get wrong?", had you said "what could have been improved?" I'd be all for it.

Comes off as a slating, which is more than the film deserves.

Maybe you should have taken the time to read that I was answering a question put to me and that it should be intimated from the fact that I didn't emphasize those issues initially that they were minor, unlike my dislike of Headley.

Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? - Wow, watched this not really knowing anything about it and it was pretty powerful and quite shocking (especially considering it is 50 years old). With only four people in a film that spans one night there is a lot happening and the performaces were superb. Basically a young couple are invited to an older couple's house after a party and are stuck in the middle of verbal warfare (some very witty and clever and some just evil) between the older couple. 5/5

Maybe you should have taken the time to read that I was answering a question put to me and that it should be intimated from the fact that I didn't emphasize those issues initially that they were minor, unlike my dislike of Headley.

I did.

Dredd, not sure what to make of it to be honest, they got so much wrong and yet so much right, reckon I'd have liked it more if it hadn't had Lena Headley in it, really don't like her for some unexplainable reason.

No mention of the word minor in there.

Anyway, enough nitpicking.

Back
Top Bottom