What film did you watch last night?

Total Recall (New one)

3.5/10 : Turned it off before the end, garbage. If you're going to remake a classic then do it for a reason, not just to trot out a load of fodder than we've seen 100 times before.

Django - cant make my mind up. It started of brilliantly then just seemed to loose its way, picked up again with the big shoot out...which should have happened sooner and then I just wished I'd seen more of them working together collecting bountys. Great acting, cool soundtrack was just missing something that I can't quiet put my finger on. Maybe it'll grow on me like IB did. 6.5/10

Judge Dredd (1995) 6/10

Understandably, I haven't watched this for years :D

So what was good?

-The general look of mega city one is pretty damn good tbh. The exterior shots of the wall from the cursed earth are pretty bang on imo.
-The Angel gang and especially Mean (Machine) Angel are damn near perfectly realised.
-The ABC warrior (aka: Hammerstein) was a great example of real world effects and animatronics.
-Armand Assante camped it up with a brilliantly OTT performance if you accept that this is comic book action.

Basically, looks.

So where did it go wrong?

-Dredd's character. They forgot it and used the standard action hero template to appeal to the wider audience who don't really know who Dredd is.
Before Stallone takes off the helmet, he's reasonably passable as Dredd. As soon as that helmet comes off, he's just another hollywood hero cop.
-Rob Schneider. I don't blame him as such, I blame the casting and script writing team.
The comic has a lot of humour, but not in the form of irritating, wisecracking sidekicks.
-While elements were touched upon, there wasn't enough in there that dealt with the overarching theme of justice/control vs totalitarianism.
-Having uniforms designed by Versace was a BAD, bad move... Sure, they're not too far from the comic, but they look so stupidly impractical and camp, it's not even funny. The new Dredd made the right move with the body armour approach while saving enough elements to keep it recognisable.

Yes, it was a bit of a cringefest, but it wasn't sooo bad.
If it had put as much effort into maintaining the character and the underlying social/political theme of
the world he inhabits as it put into the great visuals, it could've been a winner.
Despite everything they'd just been through, the Dredd I know probably would have arrested Hershey for the kiss at the end :D

The new Dredd does the opposite. It got the characters right first and foremost and given the budget, I have no doubt it would've got the rest of the world right too. I don't expect to see VW vans in the big Meg for example... ;)

The girl in dredd is very hot, a pic for you to admire.

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm2591340032/nm1880888
With some gimp punching way above his weight!

lol, he looks like a poor man's Christian Bale if you squint :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom