What film did you watch last night?

Aliens (1986).

A fairly worthy sequel to the first, though some of the cheesy marine conversation reminded me a lot of the meat heads in the game, Haze. :D

6/10.

HONESTLY?

Not to be rude, but are you under twenty years of age?

Aliens is an undeniable classic, and superlative in just so many ways.

Can we have a new rule please?

Can people please watch the film that they are watching then write about it?

What I am trying to say is that there seem to be so many posts along the lines of "I am just watching 'film' and it seems OK so far."

But a post earlier wins when a guy googled the film he was watching and then whinged that it was spoiled for him.

If you want to watch a film, watch a film, if you want to use the internet then do that, just don't do it at the same time.

Argo, Zero Dark Thirty & Too Big to Fail - I thought I'd watch all these "Docu-Movies" today and I was really surprised when it came to rating them -

Argo - 7/10 - Overall a very well acted and directed movie which kept me on the edge of my seat even though I knew the ending beforehand. A few too many "Hollywood" moments however broke the spell for me in what should have been the more dramatic moments hence the lower score than I was expecting at the start.

Too Big to Fail - 9.5/10 -Absolutely gripping film about the most boring sounding subject imaginable, Banking, and specifically the 2008 collapse in the US. A fantastically acted movie with not one character feeling like they were thrown together for the sake of it and with some great direction making what could have been a very boring and complicated story very easy to follow without it seeming forced. I easily enjoyed this the most out the 3 films by a long way.

Zero Dark Thirty - 6/10 - Maybe it's a little harsh but after the gripping film I watched before I was surprised at how boring what should have been a fantastic film about probably the most exciting manhunt in history turned out to be a bit bland. I don't doubt the authenticity of the action scenes for a second (i.e the Seals etc) and wasn't expecting an action film but the whole film felt as slow and plodding as the realistic Seal section. The only time it got interesting for me was when Jessica Chastain actually showed some emotion when shouting at the bosses whilst the rest of the time she just struck me as a bit monotone.

Looper - 5/10. Generally good all the way through, but it was a bit boring, a bit confusing and also a bit stupid at the end. Without trying to spoil the film - why didn't he just shoot his own hand?

i'd think a bullet wound would heal after 30 years :)

but the more i think about the ending when he disappears, the more it confuses me.

i'd think a bullet wound would heal after 30 years :)

but the more i think about the ending when he disappears, the more it confuses me.

The key is the fade to white at the end. Usually that only happens in a film if the entire reality of the film is somehow in doubt.

So when young Joe kills himself, he erases old Joe, old Joe never goes after the kid, the kid never has to experience what he does, young Joe never has to chase old Joe because old Joe ceases to exist, and the entire movie could never have happened. When young Joe kill himself it basically erases the timeline the film took place in. So, like in Total Recall, which also fades to white to indicate Quaid is either dreaming or being lobotomized, Looper fades to white because all of the events of the film never took place.

Alien : Resurrection.

I enjoyed the change of direction, and at times some of the darker scenes were quite surreal, which suited me just fine. :D

Probably my second favourite of the series.

7/10.

Last edited:
The last 72 hours:

Flight - Denzel in fine, fine form but Nadine Velasquez is suberb. I refuse to believe that's the same woman who played Catalina in My Name Is Earl. May brain won't have it. 9/10
The Girlfriend Experience - big Soderbergh fan but will have to come back to that one. No score, as I turned it off
Argo - a disappointment, but still a good film. Bad casting and dodgy pacing but Affleck is definitely a man on a mission.

Back
Top Bottom