What film did you watch last night?

v0n

v0n

Soldato
Have you watched Moneyball or The Big Short? He's excellent in both. He can do the action star and can act as well IMO.

The point is - he's William Bradley Pitt in all of them. Either Funny Brad and serious Brad. His Rickert in Big Short has the same tone of voice and manner as Wardaddy in Fury or Jones in Babel. His Lieutenant Aldo is just Irish Micky from Snatch with better accent and so on, so forth. The accents may vary for the first five minutes, but if you listened to fragments of movies on tape, you wouldn't be able to tell which one is which.

Soldato
The Wolf of Wall street - 8.5 /10

Really enjoyed this, more than I thought I would. Lucky ******* ;)

Salvage - 5.5 / 10

Low budget British horror which was pretty good for what it was. Managed to build a good tension, a bit let down with some bad acting and a naff ending.

The Seven Five - 8 /10

Documentary about the corruption in the 75th precinct police force in the 80's and the dirtiest cop in NYC history, Mike Dowd, with the story being told by the people involved and all the old footage

Very good.

Soldato
The Big Short - 4/10 - I thought the performances were adequate but I really didn't like the "style" used to shoot this. I actually think "Too Big too Fail" is a much better acted & shot film with a better, clearer narrative and a better understanding of how to put across very complex ideas without resorting to Margo Robbie in a bath or other vacuous celebrities.

Black Mass - 3/10 - Johnny Depp is fantastic but thats the only good thing in this film and, with the lack of decent support from actors who are normally very good, he's just not strong enough to carry the whole film alone. I also thought the story was very poorly written with too many inaccuracies for a True Story where the people involved are still alive and the cinematography was bland (see "The Town" for how to shoot Boston).

Straight out of Compton - 7/10 - I'm a heavy metal fan with zero interest in Rap music but this film held my attention and managed to keep me focused on the people rather than the music, and it's the people/actors that made this story so gripping. I particularly thought that the actor playing Ice-Cube did a phenomenal job, mastering his facial ticks etc down to a T. Well shot with a good understanding of it's target audience, 75% of which I'd guess only know the bare minimum of NWA etc before seeing the movie.

Daddies Home - 2/10 - I don't like 'recent' Will Farrell movies (peaked with Talladega Nights for me) & Mark Wallberg can't do comedy so this film was a waste of 120 minutes of my life. The young girl was pretty good though and some of the physical gags (bike up the stairs) were OK but none of that could drag me away from hating this film.

Hear No Evil, See No Evil - 6/10 - I'm going through the Wilder and/or Pryor back catalogues and this one hasnt aged well. Most of the jokes are still great (fuzzy wuzzy was a woman?) and Joan Severance is still stunning but Richard Pryor looks awful throughout, the story wastes the talent of two comedy legends & the direction is pure 80's cheesey TV/Straight to VHS.

Brewsters Millions - 7/10 - This is still my favourite Pryor comedy film! The jokes are still great, the support acting is competent and the premise makes for a good story, although the forced in love story is pretty weak and un-necessary.

Last edited:
Soldato
Daddies Home - 2/10 - I don't like 'recent' Will Farrell movies (peaked with Talladega Nights for me) & Mark Wallberg can't do comedy so this film was a waste of 120 minutes of my life. The young girl was pretty good though and some of the physical gags (bike up the stairs) were OK but none of that could drag me away from hating this film.

Hear No Evil, See No Evil - 6/10 - I'm going through the Wilder and/or Pryor back catalogues and this one hasnt aged well. Most of the jokes are still great (fuzzy wuzzy was a woman?) and Joan Severance is still stunning but Richard Pryor looks awful throughout, the story wastes the talent of two comedy legends & the direction is pure 80's cheesey TV/Straight to VHS.

Brewsters Millions - 7/10 - This is still my favourite Pryor comedy film! The jokes are still great, the support acting is competent and the premise makes for a good story, although the forced in love story is pretty weak and un-necessary.

Yeah, Will Ferrell's movies are just going down hill recently. Actually, I haven't really liked any of his movies to be honest :)

Hear no Evil, See no Evil, ah man, I love that movie. It's my favourite Pryor movie!! Thanks for posting as I had forgot about it :) I must sit down and watch it again.

Soldato
Straight out of Compton - 7/10 - I'm a heavy metal fan with zero interest in Rap music but this film held my attention and managed to keep me focused on the people rather than the music, and it's the people/actors that made this story so gripping. I particularly thought that the actor playing Ice-Cube did a phenomenal job, mastering his facial ticks etc down to a T. Well shot with a good understanding of it's target audience, 75% of which I'd guess only know the bare minimum of NWA etc before seeing the movie.

His own son played Ice Cube, so guess he had a lot of time to study :D

Associate
Mitty - I really enjoyed this film; for me it had a lot of charm with nice performances and some great photography in epic locations. 8/10

Goonies - watched it with the kids yesterday. I've seen it before and enjoyed it, but this time it seemed like an hour and a half of kids gabbling and screaming, which got on my nerves. 4/10

Enders Game Horrible over serious kiddy film, lacking thrills, humor or any heart and soul. 3/10

Caporegime
Cop Car - 6/10

Uhm yeah, so that happened, well actually not a lot happened, but I really felt sad for the boys at the end. Not bad, but nothing happens.

Deadpool 8/10

Very very enjoyable film, loved it.

Soldato
American Sniper - 6/10 Decent enough film. With most films like this, when the expectation is such that there is no big finish, you start to wonder how the film is going to finish. When this does it's a bit disappointing - but not necessarily because of the film itself.

Associate
Zootropolis (2016) - 9/10
Colourful, upbeat, comical and entertaining throughout with a good moral message and a catchy theme song.
Although it slows a bit too much towards the end and it ends up labouring the point it’s trying to make, it’s otherwise a fun, funny, vibrant and very well put together animated adventure.

The Huntsman: Winter’s War (2016) - 6/10
A solid performance all round, but with nothing really remarkable about it.
The great looking special effects, well put together action scenes and light hearted comical moments keep the adventure moving, but the overly predictable plot and characters leave it lacking in real substance.

Back
Top Bottom