What film did you watch last night?

Man of Honour
The Last Castle (2001)

I think I got about a third of the way through when I realised I had seen it before.

Robert Redford and James Gandolfini in a military prison drama. It's a decent film but lacks cruelty front the warden to generate enough conflict to get to where they end up. Everything seems to happen matter of factly to get the end of the story. Other than that it worth a watch just to see how good shape Redford was in at 65 years old at the time.

5.5/10

How the hell do you hide a trebuchet so the guards don't find it?

Permabanned
Calm With Horses 7/10 - That Cosmo Jarvis is a beast, insanely convincing Irish accent for an American-English guy, his whole gentle quiet manor yet deadly, so many layers to him, it is something you take for gospel, which is a credit to his skill as an actor.
I didn't even realise he was American, consider the rest of the cast is Irish. Didn't like it that much the first time but gave it a rewatch and it was way better, only found it due to watching Cardboard Gangsters years back and found some of the cast were in this so watched it at the time afterwards.

Last edited:
Soldato
45 mins through M3GAN, stoped watching just when there was a potential fork in the plot/story.

The film had potential to be good but with what's shaping up now I think it won't be very good. Not Ex Machina levels, not that it's trying to be, in fairness.

Soldato
One Life - in short you could probably describe it as the English Schindler, the story of what this ordinary group of people achieved outshines the film, however thats not a criticism of the film i dont think any film could this story justice. Well worth a watch
Heartwarming and tragic on the turn of a page.

Also watched 20 Days in Mariupol the other day, just tragic and depressing, what this town went through and thats just the tip of the iceberg with whats gone on in Ukraine these last 2 years, for anyone who believes we are doing to much as it is really needs to sit down and watch this.

Last edited:
Soldato
45 mins through M3GAN, stoped watching just when there was a potential fork in the plot/story.

The film had potential to be good but with what's shaping up now I think it won't be very good. Not Ex Machina levels, not that it's trying to be, in fairness.
I found the problem with M3GAN was everything was shown in the trailers. It had potential and started well it just got boring and a bit daft.

Soldato
I found the problem with M3GAN was everything was shown in the trailers. It had potential and started well it just got boring and a bit daft.
I didn't see the trailers thankfully. Yeah I think I'm at the part where it starts to go daft but let's see. I mean it was a bit far fetched in the first place, even the non-tech aspects.

I hope she goes on a mad one (there's no suggestion of anything close to this happening at the current stage) and starts pulling people's limbs out for their sockets. That would be cool.

Last edited:
Soldato

Finished it off today, it was all rather predictable but not too bad I guess, it wasn't trying too hard. I'm sure kids would like it.

Permabanned
The Iron Claw 9/10 Outstanding, perfectly cast. Zac's best acting ever, without a shadow of a doubt, I always knew he was a low key beast inside, just needed the right role to show it, he's great in comedies etc, but this really showed what he's capable of.
I'd genuinely say this is a perfect film. Serious respect to the entire cast, and everyone involved.

4th wall break, my mouse has the same name, wonder if someone at Corsair was a fan back in the day haha mind blown!

Last edited:
Associate
The Holdovers. No rating. I'm going to have to give this another go down the line as I did not enjoy it whatsoever but maybe I was just in a bad mood. I've been wrong before!

Smokey and the Bandit. 8/10. Put it on just to prove to my wife that Sally Field was hot as hell back in the day. Still holds up in a nostalgic kind of way.

Caporegime
Nope. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10954984/

I haven't finished it yet, and I'm not 100% certain I will, though I expect I will see it through.

It's alright, I suppose. There has been some degree of intrigue or suspense during parts of it, but so far,
I'm not all that impressed by it.

Edit: finished watching it; I think it did get better later on, though I found the overall experience quite forgettable. Maybe it was too long in places.

Last edited:
Associate
Wicked Little Letters (2023) - 7/10

It’s more of a drama than a comedy with plenty of hard-hitting emotional subjects, but still comes across as funny and light-hearted enough to stay entertaining.

The little seaside town in a time gone by is portrayed very well, although the multi-cultural cast does break immersion a bit, and the superb acting performances from the leads tells a good story from differing perspectives.

Quirky, humorous and pleasantly entertaining, even if the mystery wasn’t much of a surprise.

Soldato
Wicked little letters 8/10 (5 being average). Way better than I was expecting. Great plot, great acting. One of the better films for a while.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom