What game did you play last?

Soldato
Still playing through Spiel loot. Sunday was Ave Roma, which is pretty good but maybe better with more than three and definitely better when you take out all the cards you don't use in a 3-player game. Will have to pick out the KS promos that I didn't know I had - some of them only work with the expansions that I don't own.

Last night I got Not Alone (survivors won, woo!) and Capital Lux played. In between we played Ulm, which someone else from the group brought back. I like the basic mechanic for choosing actions, but I feel it's very random. We all suffered from not drawing a single boat action in the last five rounds, which I'd been banking on for my strategy.

Soldato
Sunday I finally got Mea Culpa to the table. You take the part of a wealthy sinner bound for Hell, and you have to build grand cathedrals to earn letters of indulgence that forgive your sins. However, in order to get what you need to build the cathedrals you have to commit more sins. It takes a little getting used to and none of us used the ability to take extra actions by sinning, but it's a good game. Also it's the only game I know of where you can send the Pope to a whorehouse.

Associate
I got in a play of Viticulture a few nights ago. We have one person in the group who regularly wins this game and it happened again. I can't decide if he's figured out a system or if he's just really lucky.

Soldato
I got in a play of Viticulture a few nights ago. We have one person in the group who regularly wins this game and it happened again. I can't decide if he's figured out a system or if he's just really lucky.

You should be able to see what he's doing. What does he build first, does he fill an early order whenever possible, does he go for lots of Visitors, does he buy lots of workers?

Last night started with Codenames for the first time in a while, to ease in some newbies to the group. After that was Colony followed by a couple of short games while we waited for the other tables to finish. First was Tallinn, a quick set collection card game with a balancing mechanism that rewards timing over dominance. Then we played Noxford, a game of area control on a map that you build as you go along. Both fairly simple but not without thought.

Capped off the evening with Celestia plus its expansion, which I like as it adds interaction; you can help the Captain with certain cards from your hand or screw things up in fun new ways, and each player gets a unique one-shot ability that can do things like force people to stay on the airship with you or let you commandeer the ship if the captain can't stop it crashing - or if he can and you don't want him to.

Soldato
OP
Had a game of colt express this afternoon with the wife and eldest and a game of jaipur with the eldest as she's off school with what was a stomach bug but she came back to life after lunch.

Picked up colt express cheap on amazon.de but needed English instructions, very impressed with the game a nice mix of luck and planning especially when you play your moves face down.

Associate
You should be able to see what he's doing. What does he build first, does he fill an early order whenever possible, does he go for lots of Visitors, does he buy lots of workers?

He seems to favour getting a lot of visitors over actually making wine but that always seemed to me like the most luck based method of going about things.

[EDIT] As a side note my order of the metal coins for Viticulture came through last night. They're lovely and feel nicer even than the ones for Scythe [/EDIT]

Soldato
He seems to favour getting a lot of visitors over actually making wine but that always seemed to me like the most luck based method of going about things.

A lot of visitors can be quite powerful. They let you perform other actions for cheap.

E: On the subject of wine, I tabled Vinhos last night. There's a lot of thought involved, and I like it. Unplayed Essen purchases count is now at 1 (The Great Zimbabwe).

Last edited:
Soldato
Last night was Keyflower with six - a bit busy for my liking. Then it was The Networks, a light and funny set collection game with elements of tableau building. It's pretty smooth, plays in an hour with three.

Associate
Just played what we think is half way through a Mansions of Madness investigation before saving at a convenient point. Got a bad feeling about how it is going.

We also hope to get a game of The Others in soon, that was a mountain of gaming goodness to sort through when it turned up. Very impressed with a number of the figures in there but didn't get a proper look at everything.

Soldato
We visited Thirsty Meeples last month and tried out Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small, Mr Jack and Tides of Time.

Agricola in particular was really good and we'd love to add it to our collection but it's out of print at the moment. Hopefully they'll do another run soon...

Back
Top Bottom