What game did you play last?

Managed my first game of Brazil Imperial on Friday.
It's a 4X game but not that heavily focused on the exterminate part as you're opponents can bring 'killed' units back on as you only pay for them once. It will take them a turn though. You only have 5 units max so you can occupy an opponents space but we'll have to move eventually.

First impressions were that there is a lot going on but it all made sense. You have 6 (or maybe it was 7) possible actions. You can't repeat the same action and you can't do an action if you don't have the resources so it narrowed it down pretty quick.
Found it very enjoyable and I can see why its gaining popularity.

3 playee have took 90 mins and 2 of us had not played before.

I played a solo game of Imperial Assault using the Legends of the Alliance app. Just did the intro mission as I have had the box sitting on my shelf for 2 years as I was just really interested in painting the models, which i still haven't done as my pile of shame is massive and then after a few too many glasses of Glendronach 15yr I went an ordered every expansion and every model from element games which arrived today in a massive box.

The solo game using the app is actually pretty decent. I am going to have to get a shift on and get all these models painted ASAP, think it's over 150 mini's that need painting now just for this game. Plus another full bookcase of Warhammer 40K that needs doing. I think I need another lockdown to make a dent in this lot !!!!!

My ever growing collection of Alley Cat games got a new member last week. Finally got to play it yesterday as well.

Chocolate Factory (shiny deluxe edition... Ooooooh.)

It's an engine builder. A very nice one. Will take another play or two to get used to it and work out the little foibles in the rules. But I like it.

Played Flamme ROuge with the family for the first time on the weekend and really enjoyed it! Good little racing game. Warmed up with a game of Marvel Splendor too which is also fun.

Managed to get a "relatively" cheap but good condition second hand copy of Lords of Vegas off ebay this week so will look to play that on the weekend!

Visited TK Max yesterday and picked up a couple of cheap games. Pandemic Hot Zone Europe and Civilization: A New Dawn. That's a couple of presents sorted.

Flamecraft

Simple to learn but can get tactical late game. Bought all the upgrades too and it's just a lovely thing and enjoyable to play.
Got this from the kickstarter. It's really good fun. Design on it is superb. Bit of a table hog with a 4 playing though.

Got this from the kickstarter. It's really good fun. Design on it is superb. Bit of a table hog with a 4 playing though.

I did look at the kickstarter but didn't get round to backing it. Then the place I work at got it in so I nabbed a copy before it went live (perks of the job).

Doubt I will go for any more kickstarters due to shipping costs and extra fees, not worth it anymore.

Been playing through the Undaunted missions recently, only a couple to go. Love the game and looking forward to moving onto the North Africa expansion before getting Stalingrad (which looks fantastic).
Played through the second case in Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective, The Thames Murders. After a very bad first case, we managed to solve the case and beat Sherlock in this one.
Also been playing plenty of Star Realms which is great.

Will be playing a few new games over Christmas and New Year including Ticket To Ride Europe, Space Base, Fungi, Scout, and Sushi Go Party (have played the original and know this isn't much different).

Beyond The Sun
Research tech to advance your faction. Get more ships, resources and terraform planets in order to score points.
Really enjoyed playing this so well probably pick up a copy in the next few months.

Starship Captains
Use crew to move, research, repair, attack pirates and send away teams on missions.
Point scoring again and quite a light heated Star Trekesque game.

Eleven
Football management game.
A good themed take on resource management. The matches were a bit clunky but the rest flows well. Grabbed a few expansions as well so looking forward to playing more, especially the single player campaign.

Lost Ruins of Arnak (+ Expedition Leaders expansion)
Can see why this is rated so highly. Gather resources with limited actions, research and explore to gather treasure. Point scoring is involved.

Played Kluster with an elderly grandparent, basically have a looped piece of string on the table and you take turns placing strong magnets in the loop until you run out. First to run out wins, you pick magnets up if they stick together. Good little game to fill a few minutes.

Got a couple of things for Christmas.

Ruthless - Tall Tales expansion - We really enjoy the base game so hopefully this just adds more.
Azul - Queen's Garden - More Azul. Apparently more complicated Azul too.
Splendor Duel - Two player version of Splendor. Nice and compact too.
Pandemic Hot Zone Europe - Quicker version of Pandemic.
Skull King - Good little card game.
Colt Express - Couriers & Armored Train expansion - More Colt Express! :D Love this game so more is definitely better! Hope the standalone co-op game comes along at some point, sounds like it's been shelved for the moment though.

My parents had an extended stay over Dec & the festive period, so we were able to get our game faces on :D. I think this is the most we've played.
  1. Cold Case - A Story to Die For
  2. Cold Case - A Pinch of Murder
  3. Bandida
  4. Swatch
  5. Cryptid Cafe
  6. 6 Nimmit
  7. Project L
  8. Llamaland
  9. Three Sisters
  10. Gingerbread House
  11. Turing Machine
  12. Yak
  13. Picture Perfect
  14. Batman - Everybody Lies
  15. The Animals of Baker Street
  16. Kawaii
  17. Oh My Goods
  18. Fyfe
  19. Splendor Duel
  20. Fleet - The Dice Game
  21. Dice Hospital
  22. Dice Hospital - ER Emergency Roll
  23. Macaron
  24. Flamecraft
  25. Kittin
  26. Hexagon
  27. Just One
  28. Botanik
  29. Tea for 2
  30. Port Royal
  31. Rummikub Word
  32. EXIT - Dead Man on the Orient Express
  33. EXIT - The Sacred Temple (Jigsaw)
  34. EXIT - The Deserted Lighthouse (Jigsaw)
  35. EXIT - Nightfall Manor (Jigsaw)
  36. Many games of Cribbage - which meant I got to dig out my fancy Cribbage board that had been gathering dust & hadn't yet been used!

Got a couple more games of Starship Captains in the past few days with varying results/scores.

Rise of the Necromancers was okay, collect items/spells, raise minions, and treasure over cities with your undead army. Its primarily an area control game. Artwork is fantastic.

Alice's Garden. Tile laying Tetris style. Quick and enjoyable.

Eclipse Second Dawn of the Galaxy with a few mates from work. Game took around 4 hours and was really fun with a few beers and pizza!

Board games really ought to be more mainstream popular....they are a platform for so much social fun with friends.

ISS Vanguard

Not heard of it? It's mainly space exploration and hardly any combat. Co-op or solo play.
It has between 40-70 hours of playtime on total which is split between running the ship and sending away teams on missions to various planets.
It's a space hog too, you'll need most of your dining table for this one.

So far, only the tutorial, which does a great job of explaining the planetary exploration phase.
The ship management part works step by step for each section so although it looks very complicated with so many options, it's pretty straightforward.

The tutorial still took 4 hours between 2 of us. Each planet/ship part is supposed to be a full session. Can see why it was hyped.

Played several games of Azul Queens Garden. It's definitely advanced Azul. Still not found a good strategy for it. Sometimes I zip up the score board, others I languish at the bottom. May be my favourite version of Azul.

Back
Top Bottom