Windows 10

Soldato
Another ridiculous measure by MS - even if well intended - warning you is one thing hard blocking is another. There are a couple of ways around (allowing apps from anywhere doesn't work for every situation) it but obviously updating is better if you can but some people do have good reasons for staying on an older version i.e. needing specific hardware compatibility for legacy stuff, etc.

I have no idea why MS don't do the intelligent thing and properly separate out security, driver/software and feature updates so people can properly update things as makes most sense for their use and put some focus into the deployment of security updates to make them as seamless as possible - see as security is oh such a big deal for them.............

They could learn a thing from Linux or two, never had any issues with updates on Linux, however on Win10 I've had " Windows Update Error 0x800070002" twice. I always have this link https://recoverit.wondershare.com/p...bcZLQa_Nl-8aSBhoo2pMFb2QFcnber3RoCI98QAvD_BwE for fixes (method 4 always best in my case), it always works for me, but the average user would probably not know what to do or be bothered to try and fix it, they expect Windows to update and not cause issues or problems.

Seems like they are getting lazy with their updates, ie bad programming or testing.
:)

Last edited:

V F

V F

Soldato
They could learn a thing from Linux or two, never had any issues with updates on Linux, however on Win10 I've had " Windows Update Error 0x800070002" twice. I always have this link https://recoverit.wondershare.com/p...bcZLQa_Nl-8aSBhoo2pMFb2QFcnber3RoCI98QAvD_BwE for fixes (method 4 always best in my case), it always works for me, but the average user would probably not know what to do or be bothered to try and fix it, they expect Windows to update and not cause issues or problems.

Seems like they are getting lazy with their updates, ie bad programming or testing.
:)

It feels like most things in life nowadays. One team does their bit, another team their bit but no communication with each team to make sure it's working correctly. Followed by rigorous testing.

Man of Honour
Having fun with Windows 10 on a laptop at the moment :( memory leak in DWM unless I disable the iGPU and force it to always use the nVidia GPU, nVidia driver crashes and recovers if the laptop turns off the display (not going into sleep) also unless I disable the iGPU - seems to be a Windows 10 issue not nVidia drivers. MS blames Intel, Intel blames MS but largely seems to be a Windows 10 issue.

If the device is left unattended for a certain length of time the system process starts using 100% of one core until you move the mouse - other program activity doesn't stop it. Definitely isn't malware - I did a complete clean install from known clean media and same thing happens. Gonna have to get out the debug tools and see what is going on there.

Until I threw Shutup10 at it was using 2-5% CPU constantly at idle - now mostly 0 to 0.1% sometimes 1%.

EDIT: Sigh looks like it is the indexing service which is causing high idle system CPU use and sustained periods of up to 1GB/s disk access - it seems to have got itself stuck in some kind of loop :s

Last edited:
Permabanned
Microsoft has said in July 2021 that it's coming.

Yup, just asked Google, says expect soon.

Was wondering, though, why it keeps the 19-something numbers scheme, while all of a sudden Windows 11 is "updated" to 22-something numbers.

If my memory serves me well, I think I have seen preview build (in the fast rings?) of Windows 10 with 20-something numbers.

Man of Honour
Meh still having the system task using 100% of one thread/core when the system has been idle for >5 minutes indefinitely - not just some background maintenance task using idle time. Thought it was the indexing service from the activity shown in resource monitor/process explorer but disabling that hasn't stopped it.

Really don't need the laptop sitting there with the fans spun up when it is on and mostly idle... ******* MS developers.

Soldato
Meh still having the system task using 100% of one thread/core when the system has been idle for >5 minutes indefinitely - not just some background maintenance task using idle time. Thought it was the indexing service from the activity shown in resource monitor/process explorer but disabling that hasn't stopped it.

Really don't need the laptop sitting there with the fans spun up when it is on and mostly idle... ******* MS developers.

Caused by searchindexer.exe? Been in that same situation before with Windows 7. Absolutely my worst nightmare with searchindexer.exe triggered highest numbers of Memory Management BSODs drove me to nervous breakdown.

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/windows-10.18627218/page-687#post-34609745

I now remembered I was downloaded and installed Windows 7 beta build 6936 back in December 2008 curiously had a look at new taskbar and loved pinned icons to taskbar. Build 6936 through 7260 was very stable with no BSODs, not a single BSOD! RTM Build 7600 was unstable trainwrecker, thank god first Windows 8 build 7700 had fixed that very nasty bug. Windows Vista, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, Windows 10 and Windows 11 not had a single BSOD.

Man of Honour
Caused by searchindexer.exe? Been in that same situation before with Windows 7. Absolutely my worst nightmare with searchindexer.exe triggered highest numbers of Memory Management BSODs drove me to nervous breakdown.

Search indexer was part of the problem but not the whole problem - once I disabled it unattended idle CPU use dropped from 15% to 11% but the system process still uses most of a core when the system is idle until I move the mouse. I'm not entirely sure what is causing it as hooking the process/debug tools aren't revealing much but it looks like maybe the malware protection engine has once again got itself stuck in a loop as it is frequently trying to access the same database file for that.

EDIT: Looks like that might be it as it doesn't happen if I disable the scheduled task for Windows Defender - had this once before where it gets stuck trying to update a definitions file until you manually reset it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Is anybody going to bother with 21H2, or they just moving over to Windows 11?

I plan to upgrade from Windows 1909 (or 19H2 if you prefer) to 21H2 once MSMG's ToolKit supports the latest stable version. I would rather do this than have Windows Update constantly trying to force the update on me, which eventually broke my installation a few years ago. :(

Looking ahead, I then plan to tinker with Windows 11 images with MSMG's ToolKit. No drastic changes, as these just cause more problems than enough in the long run. I'm quite happy to remove the apps and do a couple of tweaks using the ToolKit. Then maybe later next year, I will install Windows 11.

Upgrading my hardware is something I'm not sure about. I plan to hold out for Intel to release 12th gen to make my upgrade worthwhile. While my 7th gen CPU is fine, I definitely saw the performance difference after building an i5 10400 machine. :(

Permabanned

I plan to upgrade from Windows 1909 (or 19H2 if you prefer) to 21H2 once MSMG's ToolKit supports the latest stable version. I would rather do this than have Windows Update constantly trying to force the update on me, which eventually broke my installation a few years ago. :(

Looking ahead, I then plan to tinker with Windows 11 images with MSMG's ToolKit. No drastic changes, as these just cause more problems than enough in the long run. I'm quite happy to remove the apps and do a couple of tweaks using the ToolKit. Then maybe later next year, I will install Windows 11.

Upgrading my hardware is something I'm not sure about. I plan to hold out for Intel to release 12th gen to make my upgrade worthwhile. While my 7th gen CPU is fine, I definitely saw the performance difference after building an i5 10400 machine. :(

My plan is to move to 21H2 LTSC 10 as it's coming out shortly - then wait for a year before windows 11 matures to see what's in the pipeline. I'm missing fundimentals on my AMD FM2+ system as Hyper-V gives me a BSOD.

I'm getting a few stability issues even on my Assus ZenBook and it's only less than a year old.

Tried all sorts to get it working. Going back to stability and then let 11 mature.

Soldato
Anyone know how I can stop win10 reverting back to the "photos" upon restarting of window, as I want windows to always use "windows photo viewer" for my image viewer. And it doesn't make any difference if I check "always use this app"
vatxaLn.jpg

Soldato
Anyone know how I can stop win10 reverting back to the "photos" upon restarting of window, as I want windows to always use "windows photo viewer" for my image viewer. And it doesn't make any difference if I check "always use this app"
vatxaLn.jpg
Copy and the paste below text into notepad and save as a registry file - for example PhotoViewer.reg - then apply. After this set Windows Photo Viewer as the default viewer then reboot to see if the changes stay.

Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

; Change Extension's File Type
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.jpg]
@="PhotoViewer.FileAssoc.Tiff"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.jpeg]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.gif]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.png]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.bmp]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.tiff]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.ico]

Soldato
Copy and the paste below text into notepad and save as a registry file - for example PhotoViewer.reg - then apply. After this set Windows Photo Viewer as the default viewer then reboot to see if the changes stay.

Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.jpg]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.jpeg]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.gif]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.png]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.bmp]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.tiff]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.ico]

That might have solved the problem, hopefully the picture viewer will stay put now.. Thanks very much, its been bugging me for years.

Permabanned

When will 21H2 land in here?

I am not going to bother with Windows 11, may actually skip it altogether since it doesn't give anything good, only performance losses.

Meh!

Associate
Man of Honour
It looks like Microsoft may be forceably installing the PC Health check app on people devices, https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/ne...rce-installing-pc-health-check-in-windows-10/

Can't say for sure if I've had this, I did have the PC Health check app installed on my PC but I've been so busy trying a few different things it may have been me that installed as I've not seen it on any other system I use yet.

Seriously they need to fire the people responsible for the updates approach and implementation.

Soldato
When will 21H2 land in here?

I am not going to bother with Windows 11, may actually skip it altogether since it doesn't give anything good, only performance losses.

Meh!
21H2 is supposed to hit the fan in November. Oh joy.

It looks like Microsoft may be forceably installing the PC Health check app on people devices, https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/ne...rce-installing-pc-health-check-in-windows-10/

Can't say for sure if I've had this, I did have the PC Health check app installed on my PC but I've been so busy trying a few different things it may have been me that installed as I've not seen it on any other system I use yet.
I've not yet seen this on any of my laptops, but it's something I'll be watching out for.

Back
Top Bottom