Votes: 105 11.8%
  • Not interested

Votes: 230 25.9%
  • Both

Votes: 22 2.5%

• Total voters
Man of Honour
Just a slimmer version right?
I guess so, flying against the recent rumours/leaks they've had but they may well just be potential plans instead of in stone. Seems pointless making a more powerful console to compete against nothing, will games really be made to take advantage of it more when there's switch/switch 2, series S and X and PC to develop for? Easy to say yeah it'll just be running higher res/higher FPS but it's a lot of development costs for - what I would imagine will be - only a small increase in market share.

Man of Honour
I guess so, flying against the recent rumours/leaks they've had but they may well just be potential plans instead of in stone. Seems pointless making a more powerful console to compete against nothing, will games really be made to take advantage of it more when there's switch/switch 2, series S and X and PC to develop for? Easy to say yeah it'll just be running higher res/higher FPS but it's a lot of development costs for - what I would imagine will be - only a small increase in market share.

This is how I read it too. When you look at the fidelity and graphic options of recent games on the PS5, there doesn’t seem to be much value in a pro version. A refresh makes sense with updated tech that should slim it down and reduce manufacturing costs.

Man of Honour
This is how I read it too. When you look at the fidelity and graphic options of recent games on the PS5, there doesn’t seem to be much value in a pro version. A refresh makes sense with updated tech that should slim it down and reduce manufacturing costs.
I personally think it's a mistake, surely they could make really good use of RDNA 3/its successor to take advantage of FSR 3? Seems like the console market is far more suited to it, as they can tailor experiences exactly to reduce the impact of any downsides vs PC being so wife-open, and latency makes far less difference for an almost entirely controller audience.

:edit: I say a mistake... I guess what I mean is a shame :p

Last edited:
Associate
I thinking the same, usually I’d be all for mid gen upgrades but this gen has me feeling a bit meh, almost three years into it and we’ve yet to have a truly next gen, AAA blow your socks of game, I think there’s still plenty to tap into on these consoles and I’d rather a have a big leap than a few small steps

Man of Honour
A little dickie bird I know at one of the studios reckons dev kits are in the wild.
Even if this is true, do you think it'd be worth them releasing?

If it has the power it's rumoured to, they would I'd guess need to be putting a £2/300 on top of the price of the existing PS5, even if they drop it by £100 that's still going to be £600 surely. I appreciate going by inflation etc this is in the realms of the One X, but is this something people are going to go for?

Soldato

If it has the power it's rumoured to, they would I'd guess need to be putting a £2/300 on top of the price of the existing PS5, even if they drop it by £100 that's still going to be £600 surely. I appreciate going by inflation etc this is in the realms of the One X, but is this something people are going to go for?
I agree i'm not seeing people flocking to paying £600 for a console when it will likely only still produce 4k60 fps maybe 120fps in which case you wont see the difference compared to the PS5.

Also take note recent news that 75% of xbox sales are series S not X, i suspect the PS5 digital outsold the disc edition.

Every time a console is released we want it cheap or the same price as the previous one.

I would imagine microsoft are planning to go cloud based / all digital at some point so their vision wont be to go big on a powerhouse console unlike sony perhaps

Soldato
I agree i'm not seeing people flocking to paying £600 for a console when it will likely only still produce 4k60 fps maybe 120fps in which case you wont see the difference compared to the PS5.

Also take note recent news that 75% of xbox sales are series S not X, i suspect the PS5 digital outsold the disc edition.

Every time a console is released we want it cheap or the same price as the previous one.

I would imagine microsoft are planning to go cloud based / all digital at some point so their vision wont be to go big on a powerhouse console unlike sony perhaps
The disc version of the PS5 is said to have heavily outsold the digital version.

Soldato

They've done this model before and was successful, so dunno, has the market changed that much. I'm day one if it comes to fruition.

Soldato
They've done this model before and was successful, so dunno, has the market changed that much. I'm day one if it comes to fruition.
They had a thing they could market that laymen could understand i.e 4k when the Pro consoles came out. What would be the marketing for this new console that laymen would get? "play your games faster" or "8k" for £200-300 more than the base console? I'm not sure it would sway the general public.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Yes but they probably both knew they were both pushing for "real" 4K and had no doubts about each other's commitment to releasing a product with that level of power. Do you reckon they really made more money by releasing the more powerful refreshes, or do you think they were merely trying to outdo each other and/or protect their market share and ended up probably in a similar position to how they were before? I don't think Sony have much to gain by spending a lot to develop a console that will be sold likely at cost, when there doesn't exist a threat to their market share from their competition.

Last edited:
Soldato
The problem the X/Pro consoles exposed last gen was that plenty of existing titles won't be updated to support it. There were loads of games that didn't seem to benefit at all from the PS4 Pro's additional power, the whole thing was rather underwhelming.

It'd be a hard sell for me again this gen, especially when existing PS5 features are still underutilised. How many games still have loading screens, for example? We were told they'd be a thing of the past and that game design would be transformed due to being able to pull data immediately from storage into the GPU/CPU.

Associate
What are everyone's everyone's thoughts on the new Forza? I'm looking forward to a non-horizon game but some of the "sim racers" on YouTube haven't shown this in the best light. However, I think it looks great as I am a fan of the slightly more arcade feel and pick up and play of Forza over say a more sim-orientated game like Gran Turismo.

Back
Top Bottom