• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

10GB vram enough for the 3080? Discuss..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
It looks to me like the 3080 has the grunt to run 4K Max Settings with the HD Texture pack, but lacks sufficient video memory based on your FPS, which to be fair seem decent enough.

As for crashes, Gerard played for an hour, your videos were just a couple of minutes long so maybe you need to put a longer session in. Hard to say.

Does not quite have the grunt imo unless 50 fps in a shooter is your thing. Flickering shadows seems to happen with RT on and I dont recall seeing it before the first patch and I do not have the DLC where Gerard says its even worse.

I also have only played about about 10% of the game so not sure how well it would hold up VRAM wise using FSR UQ. I guess if you turn off RT and keep everything else max at native 4K with the HD pack then it would probably keep 60 fps and if it tanks in places due to VRAM then for me that would for sure qualify as a VRAM weakness vs card raw performance. :)

Caporegime
Does not quite have the grunt imo unless 50 fps in a shooter is your thing. Flickering shadows seems to happen with RT on and I dont recall seeing it before the first patch and I do not have the DLC where Gerard says its even worse.

I also have only played about about 10% of the game so not sure how well it would hold up VRAM wise using FSR UQ. I guess if you turn off RT and keep everything else max at native 4K with the HD pack then it would probably keep 60 fps and if it tanks in places due to VRAM then for me that would for sure qualify as a VRAM weakness vs card raw performance. :)

Yup defo more grunt is required, which is why I referenced the 6800xt results without FSR too i.e. more vram but still doesn't have the grunt to provide an ideal experience imo and fps is similar to what you see in my video, obviously completely different areas and different setups on the whole so you have to factor that in.

7H9PlMj.png

Bearing in mind, my fps figures will have been hit by a few fps for recording too and no rebar (might try enabling that later and seeing how perf. etc. is)

For flickering shadows, maybe I am being blind but I couldn't see that happening on my end, is there an area I should be looking at in the above videos?

As for dropping other settings, back when I was playing it, I dropped various settings (like shadows, volumetric fog, water) anyway because I wanted more fps on my 3440x1440 144hz display but didn't like/want to use FSR at this res. as the TAA artefacts became far too obvious to me.

Caporegime

Yes I thought he was running native, didn't realise FSR was on in that video, my bad. I can see the FPS in the native video and agree, those FPS are not ideal. Thing is, you need to run 4K Max Settings (including RT) + HD Textures to see the issues.

It appears that if 10GB gets breached, then you'll either get big slow downs like Tommy, and pcgameshardware, or bad frame times as can be seen on Nexus native video and referenced by Gerard, or perhaps even a crash like Gerard if you play for extended periods. He seems to indicate that the issue has been happening since game launch in the video comments.

I'll put up a 6800 XT video. My 6800 XT is a lemon too, so it'll be running at a low clock frequency (2350Mhz).

Caporegime
So just tested with rebar turned on and getting the fps drop to 3 fps with no FSR (same settings as before) and just noticed in the pcgamershardware benchmark, they have rebar enabled, so that confirms what the issue is then i.e. rebar AND/OR game, take your pick what the cause is ;)

- nvidia optimisation/issue with rebar
- vram not enough
- game issue with rebar

*grabs popcorn*

It runs fine with FSR UQ and rebar on but as you can see, performance/frame latency wise, in some parts, fps are higher but I think fps drops more and happens more often?

Yes I thought he was running native, didn't realise FSR was on in that video, my bad. I can see the FPS in the native video and agree, those FPS are not ideal. Thing is, you need to run 4K Max Settings (including RT) + HD Textures to see the issues.

It appears that if 10GB gets breached, then you'll either get big slow downs like Tommy, and pcgameshardware, or bad frame times as can be seen on Nexus native video and referenced by Gerard, or perhaps even a crash like Gerard if you play for extended periods. He seems to indicate that the issue has been happening since game launch in the video comments.

I'll put up a 6800 XT video. My 6800 XT is a lemon too, so it'll be running at a low clock frequency (2350Mhz).

But don't you see the flaw in that statement..... even if the gpu is not capable of achieving "good" fps in the first place regardless of vram i.e. see 6800xt, all the vram but not enough grunt either hence why it's fps doesn't look to be "much" better than my 3080 (again, taking into account, recording costing a few fps).... As we have all said and witnessed, cards not having enough grunt will be the problem first thus settings either need to be reduced or/and fsr/dlss needs to be turned on, all of which reduce vram usage too, which essentially makes this whole thread and "concerns" completely pointless.

I wouldn't say them frame times were exactly "bad" either nor exactly indicative of vram tbh (will upload some footage from modded cyberpunk later to show true vram limitation experience), the game on the whole felt very smooth/good and certainly "playable" (aside from the low fps of around 50), I'm sure we could find areas where the 6800xt would have moments where its frame times aren't "perfect", much like bang4bucks video with his 6900xt, there are a few moments where you see frame latency/stutters happen.

Not sure why the CTD is being put down to potentially vram issues/limitations/3080? As I said, in terms of CTD during gameplay, I have had none (22 hours of total gameplay time) and back when I was playing the story, I had 1-2 hour sessions, that and having a quick look on forums, I'm not seeing any big threads to indicate that it is a common problem now, at least nothing like the texture bug one. I'm sure from a quick google, we could find someone having crashes on an amd based gpu system too but that doesn't mean that every amd gpu system will be getting CTD too.... Might be worthwhile to let tommy and the other guy know to turn off things like ubi game overlay, run as admin applied to the .exe etc. Also, have they mentioned what RAM they have? You can see the game is pushing 16GB so not enough ram could be their reasons for crashing.

Caporegime
So just tested with rebar turned on and getting the fps drop to 3 fps with no FSR (same settings as before) and just noticed in the pcgamershardware benchmark, they have rebar enabled, so that confirms what the issue is then i.e. rebar AND/OR game, take your pick what the cause is ;)

- nvidia optimisation/issue with rebar
- vram not enough
- game issue with rebar
As the issue (FPS drops to single digits) only happened on the 3080, and not the much slower 3060, I guess that confirms the cause is lack of VRAM on the 3080 as we have cited all along as no other GPUs are affected. ReBar on Nvidia appears to use more VRAM, perhaps...

Now you can make an argument to disable it and if that fixes the FPS drops, bad frame times and image issues I agree we can close the case. @tommybhoy @gerardfraser - As impartial 3080 users, we await your feedback. :)

I also tested this on Far Cry 6 before as it was mentioned in the other thread and found no significant VRAM usage difference between SAM on and off here.

But don't you see the flaw in that statement..... even if the gpu is not capable of achieving "good" fps in the first place regardless of vram i.e. see 6800xt, all the vram but not enough grunt either hence why it's fps doesn't look to be "much" better than my 3080 (again, taking into account, recording costing a few fps).... As we have all said and witnessed, cards not having enough grunt will be the problem first thus settings either need to be reduced or/and fsr/dlss needs to be turned on, all of which reduce vram usage too, which essentially makes this whole thread and "concerns" completely pointless.
You've not seen how the 6800 XT performs yet, honestly it's quite a bit higher than your 3080. Have a look when I upload the video and see what you think.

I would argue that with FPS rarely dropping below 60, it would be playable even without FSR. I'll take a rough guess and say it's averaging close to 70. See what you think when it's uploaded as FPS required is subjective to some degree, depending on the game. What you see here, add another 20-25% on for my 6900 XT.

Not sure why the CTD is being put down to potentially vram issues/limitations/3080? As I said, in terms of CTD during gameplay, I have had none (22 hours of total gameplay time) and back when I was playing the story, I had 1-2 hour sessions, that and having a quick look on forums, I'm not seeing any big threads to indicate that it is a common problem now, at least nothing like the texture bug one. I'm sure from a quick google, we could find someone having crashes on an amd based gpu system too but that doesn't mean that every amd gpu system will be getting CTD too.... Might be worthwhile to let tommy and the other guy know to turn off things like ubi game overlay, run as admin applied to the .exe etc. Also, have they mentioned what RAM they have? You can see the game is pushing 16GB so not enough ram could be their reasons for crashing.
Right, but you say you play at 3440x1440 for the most part. Do you play 22 hours at 4K max settings with the HD Texture pack? I doubt it if you are being honest.

It's also possible that both @tommybhoy and @gerardfraser both had ReBar enabled. Though I was under the impression it was already disabled in the driver, but perhaps they re-enabled it. Hopefully both can confirm if they come online either way.

Last edited:
Caporegime
As the issue only happened on the 3080, and not the much slower 3060, I guess that confirms the cause is lack of VRAM on the 3080 as we have cited all along as no other GPUs are affected. ReBar on Nvidia appears to use more VRAM, perhaps...

Now you can make an argument to disable it and if that fixes the FPS drops, bad frame times and image issues I agree we can close the case. @tommybhoy @gerardfraser - As impartial 3080 users, we await your feedback. :)

I also tested this on Far Cry 6 before as it was mentioned in the other thread and found no significant VRAM usage difference between SAM on and off here.

You've not seen how the 6800 XT performs yet, honestly it's quite a bit higher than your 3080. Have a look when I upload the video and see what you think.

I would argue that with FPS rarely dropping below 60, it would be playable even without FSR. I'll take a rough guess and say it's averaging close to 70. See what you think when it's uploaded as FPS required is subjective to some degree, depending on the game. What you see here, add another 20-25% on for my 6900 XT.

Right, but you say you play at 3440x1440 for the most part. Do you play 22 hours at 4K max settings with the HD Texture pack? I doubt it if you are being honest.

It's also possible that both @tommybhoy and @gerardfraser both had ReBar enabled. Though I was under the impression it was already disabled in the driver, but perhaps they re-enabled it. Hopefully both can confirm if they come online either way.

You can see in the rebar/FSR video of mine, that vram usage is indeed higher than the no-rebar/fsr one, in fact, allocated vram usage exceeds 10GB, which is odd as in theory, frame latency and fps drops should be happening "badly" there...... To me, that seems like there is an issue with the vram memory management and not being able to clear the memory to load new assets in or something deeper going on.

Shall be interesting to see how your 6800xt performs, surprised you are getting that high fps though given your review site results:

7H9PlMj.png

Like I said, I expect the 6800xt to be better though given amd sponsored and SAM giving a boost of probably 10-15%, not to mention, the difference in the rest of your setup compared to mine.

I have varied my time between 3440x1440 and 4k oled, overall most of my time has been on 3440x1440 but I have had a few 1-2 hour sessions on the oled too.

Now here is a true vram limitation experience and this is at 3440x1440 max settings with rtx whacked to max and dlss set to balanced, forgot to show settings:

See the difference between that and my FC 6 no fsr video, pretty obvious which one has a true vram limitation going on. If I remove the 4-8k texture packs, iirc, the rust/metal texture pack, then the issue goes away, that is exactly what a case of too much grunt and not enough vram limitation looks like.

Soldato
Turn off rebar-check
Turn off vsync-check
3700X
16Gb 8pack 3800Mhz ram
Sammy pcie 4

Maybe I should pee on the flare to stop it rendering on screen, while I'm at it, lumberjack all the trees in the jungle so they stop rendering on screen too, maybe I could go play in a lesser demanding grassy/concrete type area and look up into the sky admiring textures on windmills instead of actually playing the game.

Is it back to that Nvidia time when you have to turn off a whole host of services to conserve vram to keep some people happy?

Oh, after turning the Ubi overlay back on, should I just dismiss the UBI warning too?

Far-Cry-62022-1-19-19-40-4.jpg

Soldato
How about sell your 3080 and move back to the AMD support group and then you can max out crap, generic FC6. I'll keep using RT at playable FPS with DLSS better than native 4K IQ.

Last edited:
Caporegime
How about sell your 3080 and move back to the AMD support group and then you can max out crap, generic FC6. I'll keep using RT at playable FPS with DLLS better than native 4K IQ.
I did warn you to expect heat @tommybhoy if you shine a light on it. :cry:

Come on Raven, you are better than that. You impressed me with your gif usage in my failed Guardian's bench thread, but then ruin it with a comment like this.

Caporegime
16gb ram.... as I was saying, the patch, which fixed the texture issue increased ram usage considerably, you can see I am pushing 16gb on my 32gb setup.... So obviously whatever they did to fix issues required them to offset something to the ram otherwise the ram usage would not have increased after that patch....

Isn't that pretty much what the far cry game world is and my footage shows the kind of gameplay of rather well i.e. a big open jungle/tropical area with running and gunning across a wide enough area unlike yours where you're stuck in one area :p

What happens when you enable fsr? Bearing in mind you would "have" to use that if you want more than 50/55fps at 4k anyway....

Like I have always said, having fps drops to 2 fps and staying at that is not your usual "vram" issue (again, see my cyberpunk video for a true showcase of vram limitation), you have my footage and other people's posts in the 70+ page thread expressing that they aren't having problems. Going by your posts in the rtx thread, imo, you have some other system/driver issues if you're having all these kinds of issues.

That 3700x will also be holding back the 3080 by quite a bit too.

Caporegime
Come on, your Cyberpunk video is not the only way VRAM saturation behaves, you can’t seriously think that? This has been explained many times already in this thread, it depends on the game and how it behaves, VRAM saturation can absolutely cause single digit FPS in certain circumstances. This can be reproduced with the resolution slider in certain games.
Woooft, felt like a pinch of sand right in the eye there.:p
You are doing the lords work my man. :cry:

Caporegime
Come on, your Cyberpunk video is not the only way VRAM saturation behaves, you can’t seriously think that? This has been explained many times already in this thread, it depends on the game and how it behaves, VRAM saturation can absolutely cause single digit FPS in certain circumstances. This can be reproduced with the resolution slider in certain games.

You are doing the lords work my man. :cry:

Yup we have been here before and I asked for proof of other games where fps has dropped to 1-5 and stayed "consistently" at that but as per usual, no replies with any evidence came back.... :p

If fps is dropping to that and staying consistently at that figure then the game or/and drivers is not clearing it's cache or/and successfully swapping out assets.

And again, if the vram gets fully "saturated/overloaded", why is it that with my no-rebar/fsr video, fps doesn't completely plummet when 10gb is exceeded?

Soldato
I think the fact here is that if you arena 4k gamer, want ultra settings as well as high texture mods if available then the 3080 does not have enough vram.

I for one have this usage case so I have not bought the 3080

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Maybe I should pee on the flare to stop it rendering on screen, while I'm at it, lumberjack all the trees in the jungle so they stop rendering on screen too, maybe I could go play in a lesser demanding grassy/concrete type area and look up into the sky admiring textures on windmills instead of actually playing the game.

Is it back to that Nvidia time when you have to turn off a whole host of services to conserve vram to keep some people happy?

5h0.gif

I think the fact here is that if you arena 4k gamer, want ultra settings as well as high texture mods if available then the 3080 does not have enough vram.

Where TF have you been? Not sure old debunker gonna let that one slide... :cry::cry::cry:

Caporegime

Essentially this, at least that has been my experience and bearing in mind that I was adding several 4-8k texture mods to hit the vram wall in an already very demanding game (with rtx set to max/psycho).... I'm not going to lose any sleep over having to remove a couple of the packs to avoid said issues :p After all, throw a number of high res. texture mods at gpus with more vram and they too will eventually face the same issue so technically we could say even 16/24gb vram wouldn't be enough....

Either way, that's all I have to say on fc 6 and all things vram now, got my footage with testing various things to show/back up my experience and we have plenty of footage/various posts from other people in the official fc 6 thread here and elsewhere too.

Await the next game now, I reckon dying light 2 will be an interesting one..... ;) In meantime, back to god of war I go :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom