• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

E8600 E0 Overclocks

Reminds me of the time a guy on here bought 5 Opteron 170's hoping to get a good clocker. Although he did say he was buying them for clients. (of course he was)

It turned out they were all bad clockers lol.

I managed 4.32 at 1.392v under load (1.41v idle) in Windows on mine in the end; Orthos/prime small FFTs stable :) I've decided to stick it on an auction site for a loss so I can buy one of Devious' week 22s. The things we do for that bit more speed lol :p

bought a few of these hoping to get at least 1 from a good batch

Ended up they are all Q822A435 :D

img4209ld4.jpg

Hehe that's a sight for sore eyes! :eek:

Reminds me of the time a guy on here bought 5 Opteron 170's hoping to get a good clocker. Although he did say he was buying them for clients. (of course he was)
Well that guy was me! :D

They were all pretty good clockers and yes I sold every single one to various clients. It's pretty common practice for serious overclockers to buy a batch of chips, or at least keep swapping them out/up upgrading one until you get a keeper. If you could do this and then sell the remaining chips for a profit I think it makes perfect sense! It's not something I will be doing again in a rush though as it was quite a bit of extra effort!

opteron170maniajg8.jpg

17 February 2006

I managed 4.32 at 1.392v under load (1.41v idle) in Windows on mine in the end; Orthos/prime small FFTs stable :) I've decided to stick it on an auction site for a loss so I can buy one of Devious' week 22s. The things we do for that bit more speed lol :p

I just saw it. It sold, congrats.

BTW, if Devious got 4.5GHz with that Q22 batch under water cooling, what do you think your chances of getting anything faster than your current (just sold) chip are under air?

Just out of interest, how long was the auction running before it sold?

hope its a gooden.
I wouldn't worry too much Bradley8988, you have Intel®s latest and greatest Core™2 Duo E8600 Processor! :eek:

Try not to get twisted up in really teeny weeny details such as batch numbers, weeks of manufacture, place or origin etc unless you are seriously trying to become an overclocking world champion! :o

Each to their own of course but I just hope people don't get disappointed because of a really minor detail that would somehow spoil what is a totally amazing product. . . .:cool:

Dee, it sold in less than half an hour (not surprised at that price!). I am fully expecting 4.4 to 4.5Ghz on my OCZ Vendetta 2. I had 4.6Ghz out of this week 20 but it wasn't stable (chip limit). Temps on my rig were 32 idle and 60 load at 4.5 to 4.6Ghz and 1.48 volts. I'm pretty sure it'll be cooler on a week 22 at 1.3x volts for the same speed ;)

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Except experience, which is good.

It is a great chip, no doubt. The thing is it's easy for some people to get caught up in all the hype, and when they find out certain week #'s are not even as good as the older E8400 non-E0's, they get disappointed, knowing they have just paid a high price for a chip that doesn't clock as good as some cheaper ones.

All the Q820's I've seen have been below average. So, while I agree that people shouldn't get too caught up in week/batch numbers, there's definitely something in it, and if you can avoid certain week/batch numbers I don't see anything wrong with it. There is nothing wrong with wanting the best for your money, especially if you don't have much.

Dee, it sold in less than half an hour (not surprised at that price!). I am fully expecting 4.4 to 4.5Ghz on my OCZ Vendetta 2. I had 4.6Ghz out of this week 20 but it wasn't stable (chip limit). Temps on my rig were 32 idle and 60 load at 4.5 to 4.6Ghz and 1.48 volts. I'm pretty sure it'll be cooler on a week 22 at 1.3x volts for the same speed ;)

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Except experience, which is good.

Blimey! Less than half an hour? :eek:

Well, I hope your next one is a golden one. Good luck mate.

I read somewhere LLC can have a detrimental effect, can't remember where though.
That is like the poorest bit of web rumour spreading I ever saw lol! :D

LLC (Load Line Calibration) is a pretty cool feature and they hasn't been many posts about it being a bad thing. Iirc there were a few dudes using $1000 Yorkfields in extreme overclocking set-ups who got a bit antsy about LLC because they were afraid of the voltage spikes damaging their uBer silicon.

I don't fully understand the slight problem these guys were having and as far as I am aware nothing got destroyed? If anyone can shed some more light on why a few people are afraid of using LLC then I am all ears! :)

I wouldn't worry too much Bradley8988, you have Intel®s latest and greatest Core™2 Duo E8600 Processor! :eek:

Try not to get twisted up in really teeny weeny details such as batch numbers, weeks of manufacture, place or origin etc unless you are seriously trying to become an overclocking world champion! :o

Each to their own of course but I just hope people don't get disappointed because of a really minor detail that would somehow spoil what is a totally amazing product. . . .:cool:

Nah im not worried chap. its bound to clock better than my E8500 which i sold for a not so bad sum. im a sucker for always wanting something better. i was fine till the 8600 got released so here i am upgrading again. i only hope they dont release anymore 775 duals this year.

bradley, an Olly_K week 22?

i will post some results dude so you have a idea of what yours will do. ;)

LLC (Load Line Calibration) is a pretty cool feature and they hasn't been many posts about it being a bad thing.

I like the option of having it there if and when needed. I don't use it funnily enough which was a big reason for me changing motherboard manufacturer in the first place :rolleyes:. I would use it if I did insane bench runs for sure.

Detrimental probably not. May cause instability in some cases. For instance if it is enabled and you're at 1.336 idle some boards under load will over volt the cpu to 1.344. So while Priming everything is stable. Once the PC is back to idle the voltage lowers and normal stuff like browsing and watching films will crash unexpectedly. That may be another cause for what puts people off using it. There is an easy way around that though just bump the vcore up a notch to compensate for that.

That is like the poorest bit of web rumour spreading I ever saw lol! :D

LLC (Load Line Calibration) is a pretty cool feature and they hasn't been many posts about it being a bad thing. Iirc there were a few dudes using $1000 Yorkfields in extreme overclocking set-ups who got a bit antsy about LLC because they were afraid of the voltage spikes damaging their uBer silicon.

I don't fully understand the slight problem these guys were having and as far as I am aware nothing got destroyed? If anyone can shed some more light on why a few people are afraid of using LLC then I am all ears! :)

I'm not sure what rumour you're referring to mate? :confused:

It's quite a well known fact amongst Rampage Formula users that the board can suffer instability probs with 45nm cpu's under zero load with LLC enabled.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/Forums/showthread.php?t=189507

I found the only downside of not having LLC enabled is the board suffers quite bad vdroop, but it's nothing a 2B pencil won't sort out. :)

Back
Top Bottom