*** Oculus Quest 2 Owners Thread ***

Soldato
Ok how do I play Alyx on my quest 2? I need the virtual desktop thing too?

Well mainly you need a PC capable of running the game.
Then you either need a USB cable long enough to connect your Quest 2 to the PC and have enough room to move and play the game
OR
Buy a copy of Virtual Desktop from the Oculus Quest store. But to play wirelessly you need a good 5ghz or Wifi 6 router directly connected to your PC, and have a rock solid signal between the router and the Quest 2 (Normally that means playing in the same room as the router).

Soldato
Right, well that's the graphics card upgraded! Thanks to the amazing deal from ocuk, I've now got a 6700xt on it's way. Got to try out squadrons with the xbox controller I guess.

Soldato
I bought Virtual Desktop for my Rift years ago do i need to buy it again for my Quest 2 ? :confused:
Yes, because they're two different products.

The Quest version has had masses of development in adding wireless VR support for Oculus and Steam VR.

The Rift version doesn't support any of that as it was designed for wired headsets, and was intended to show your desktop in VR to watch movies, play 2D games on a big virtual screen, or do productivity tasks. The Quest version does all that too, but wirelessly, with the addition of VR game streaming.

Associate
To the Top is now on AppLab. Been wanting to try this for a while as it gets hyped a lot. I played it for 20 mins and refunded it. It felt a bit I dunno, not smooth. Maybe it's just their move mechanic, but everything from crawling, to just rotating with the right stick, felt stuttery. Jumping was smooth enough, but if didn't give that thrill that jumping in the Climb gives. Graphically it's incredibly basic. I couldn't get into it. Anyone else played this? Did I give in too soon?

The reviews are all incredulous that this isn't on the main store, that it's the best thing ever, and incredibly polished. It didn't feel that polished to me. I'm sure it plays much better on PCVR or PSVR.

Soldato
Folks any players of Star Wars Squadrons?

I am using Oculus Link cable with the Q2.

The frame rate is not bad but hte Oculus tool is reporting 45hz which doesnt seem right to me surely.

Any special settings I should be aware about?

Associate
Folks any players of Star Wars Squadrons?

I am using Oculus Link cable with the Q2.

The frame rate is not bad but hte Oculus tool is reporting 45hz which doesnt seem right to me surely.

Any special settings I should be aware about?
I tweaked settings until I could get it to 90 most of the time. I don't may it often but I can't make myself okay it downstairs on console anymore. It's a different game in VR.

Soldato
How are you guys playing squadrons? Controller or flight stick? I've got the xbox one controller, and I'm not sure if that's a good experience or if I should hold off until I eventually get around to getting a flight stick.

Soldato
Squadrons seems really weirdly optimised. Even on a 3090 I have performance issues sometimes.
The main thing is to turn down all the settings for the 2D mode, as for some reason the 2D and VR renders are completely separate, so it's effectively rendering the game twice, instead of just copying the pre-warped VR image from one eye, which what most VR games do.

If your game is showing 45fps then you're actually reprojecting, as the headset is halving the framerate and interpolating the frames. The Oculus version is called 'Asynchronous Timewarp' and it actually works very well, but you may notice some visual artefacts.

For flight and space sims I'm using an X52 Pro.

Soldato
Squadrons seems really weirdly optimised. Even on a 3090 I have performance issues sometimes.
The main thing is to turn down all the settings for the 2D mode, as for some reason the 2D and VR renders are completely separate, so it's effectively rendering the game twice, instead of just copying the pre-warped VR image from one eye, which what most VR games do.

If your game is showing 45fps then you're actually reprojecting, as the headset is halving the framerate and interpolating the frames. The Oculus version is called 'Asynchronous Timewarp' and it actually works very well, but you may notice some visual artefacts.

For flight and space sims I'm using an X52 Pro.

I've wondered what happens if you turn your monitor off? Is the graphics card smart enough to sense it's not sending to a output anymore?

Back
Top Bottom