• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ryzen 3900X thread

Associate
That may well be true, on my 3900x when I had it, could do 4.2ghz at 1.32v, If I went lower any all core load would AVX/AVX2 would reset the machine. Don't know if the newer chips can run at that voltage on even avx2 loads.

Man of Honour
You may of passed Cinebench 20 but I can tell you right now, your chip isnt stable, I can tell straight away by that score, its too low for 4.3ghz, mine at 4.3ghz with the same ram timings as you scores 7768 and needs 1.33v to do that, 100% stable, after running that for a week or 2 though I soon figured out that there really is no point overclocking these, and just leave it at stock, tweak your ram and let PBO do its thing.

Reached the same conclusion that there is little to no gains to be had in real terms.

Currently running ;

Cores - Auto
Normal Voltage -.150v
( Gigabyte Auto voltage keeps the chip at around 1.4v all the time for some reason) which gives an average core voltage of 1.26
PBO Enabled
1usmus Universal power plan

Scores in CB20 are ~7150, so about par for the course

Soldato
Reached the same conclusion that there is little to no gains to be had in real terms.

Currently running ;

Cores - Auto
Normal Voltage -.150v
( Gigabyte Auto voltage keeps the chip at around 1.4v all the time for some reason) which gives an average core voltage of 1.26
PBO Enabled

1usmus powerplan to work, requires PBO OFF. But works well with XFR ON.

Soldato

Currently running ;

Cores - Auto
Normal Voltage -.150v
PBO Enabled

Your single core speeds will be much faster at stock than they were at overclocked settings too, it will be boosting single to 4.5-4.6ghz, where as before you locked it at 4.3ghz, you can test this in CPU-z benchmark.

Do you have C States and AMD Cool & Quiet enabled in the bios ? the voltage should drop whilst its idle, however, in the beginning......god crea.......oh wait wrong story, I had an app that loaded with windows that was constantly polling, so the only thing you can do is restart windows, open CPU-z and watch your core speed and voltage, then one by one, close each running app in the system tray, leave about 10 seconds between each one you close, dont move the mouse or touch anything, just watch CPU-z, you'll soon find out which one is constantly bothering the CPU when you close it, the core speed and voltage will drop.

Man of Honour
Your single core speeds will be much faster at stock than they were at overclocked settings too, it will be boosting single to 4.5-4.6ghz, where as before you locked it at 4.3ghz, you can test this in CPU-z benchmark.

Do you have C States and AMD Cool & Quiet enabled in the bios ? the voltage should drop whilst its idle, however, in the beginning......god crea.......oh wait wrong story, I had an app that loaded with windows that was constantly polling, so the only thing you can do is restart windows, open CPU-z and watch your core speed and voltage, then one by one, close each running app in the system tray, leave about 10 seconds between each one you close, dont move the mouse or touch anything, you'll soon find out which one is constantly bothering the CPU, when you close it, the core speed and voltage will drop.

C-states and cool n quiet are both enabled, as per the recommened when using 1usmus power plan.

Read all about polling skewing the voltages, and am happy that i have eliminated false readings, and just use CPU-Z and hwinfo. Voltage drops to .975 and averages 1.2X.

XFR settings are ; manual/300/230/230/manual/x4

I have just gone back into bios and manually disable PBO2

Load peak clock increased from 4.142 to 4.192
'Idle' peak clock increased from 4.541 to 4.567

which resulted in ~ 100 points less in CB20, despite ' marginally ' higher clock speeds ? Not too fussed about that but didn't expect a drop

Anyway, thanks for your help

Last edited:
Caporegime
C-states and cool n quiet are both enabled, as per the recommened when using 1usmus power plan.

Read all about polling skewing the voltages, and am happy that i have eliminated false readings, and just use CPU-Z and hwinfo. Voltage drops to .975 and averages 1.2X.

XFR settings are ; manual/300/230/230/manual/x4

I have just gone back into bios and manually disable PBO2

Load peak clock increased from 4.142 to 4.192
'Idle' peak clock increased from 4.541 to 4.567

which resulted in ~ 100 points less in CB20, despite ' marginally ' higher clock speeds ? Not too fussed about that but didn't expect a drop

Anyway, thanks for your help
Disable Spread Spectrum in the BIOS if your motherboard has that option exposed too for a small bump to clock speeds, id 4.567 will become 4.575mhz.

Associate
Just put together a 3900x system, so far so good but now I have to learn to tweak a completely different platform.... Not been with AMD for years. :D

For unknown reasons my Asus board set vcore to 1.45 be default.. I'm assuming default is 1.2 - 1.25?

Any basic tips for optimising performance I should know? Not going to overclock yet, best start with the basics..

Soldato
Just put together a 3900x system, so far so good but now I have to learn to tweak a completely different platform.... Not been with AMD for years. :D

For unknown reasons my Asus board set vcore to 1.45 be default.. I'm assuming default is 1.2 - 1.25?

Any basic tips for optimising performance I should know? Not going to overclock yet, best start with the basics..
Can you do an offset? 1.28v under load is a good average. 1.45 is fine if there is no load.

1usmus power plan and his settings seem to be all that is needed.

What are your cbr20 scores?

Associate
Can you do an offset? 1.28v under load is a good average. 1.45 is fine if there is no load.

1usmus power plan and his settings seem to be all that is needed.

What are your cbr20 scores?

Not sure what you mean by offset..

1usmus power plan? is that in the bios?

Around 6600 right now, I'm sure it was higher yesterday, all I changed was the cvore voltage.

Soldato
Associate
Last edited:
Associate
Also what should I setting FCLK and SOC to? I'm using 4000 memory and it's set to auto, should I downclock the memory and adjust FLCK manually? What's going to optimal? :confused:

How do I even check what FCLK is set to on auto?

Last edited:
Soldato
Also what should I setting FCLK and SOC to? I'm using 4000 memory and it's set to auto, should I downclock the memory and adjust FLCK manually? What's going to optimal? :confused:

How do I even check what FCLK is set to on auto?
I'd set fck manually to 1800 and run your memory at 3600 cl16 and test for the moment.

Soldato

Set it it Auto and ignore. The CPU will do decide how much power it will draw and when based on what AMD feels is safe at any point in time.

Setting power manually you either push too much power or starve the CPU. The only thing that works is offset between -0.08 to -0.1. But generally rule of thumb leave the CPU alone if you plan to play games. Just activate XFR, set the BIOS as per 1usmus power plan and you will see the CPU running at 4550-4600 (cooler depending) at 100% loads on the top 2 cores on CCD0 and the rest working depending how much load they have. On single core heavy games, the 4650Mhz at 100% constant load (with good cooling) should be easy to achieve.

If you want to push the performance of the CPU to maximum all core speeds at 100% full load, do not go over 1.27v on manual voltage as the absolute maximum. However ask yourself. You will sacrifice 15% better gaming performance for 8% better all core performance?

Last edited:

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
I tired the 1usmus profile and my score in r20 dropped from 7248 to 7115.

I did run about 5c cooler on the run though around 62c max.

Changed the settings back - enabled PBO in BIOS and using Ryzen balanced power plan brings the score back up to 7282.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom