*** The 2013 Gym Rats Thread ***

Soldato
Oh dear.

All kinds of abuse will probably occur for Russian Twists, Plank for '2 mins' and the final exercise.

Russian twists for the same reason as the last exercise (I'll leave the abuse to someone else), and plank for the fact that it's unlikely you're doing it properly if you're doing it for 2 minutes.

kd

Man of Honour
I'm starting a cut next week and this will be my new routine:

10-12 reps on all sets

Back and biceps:
Chin ups/pull-ups x4
Deadlifts x4
1 arm Dumbell row x4
Barbell Row reverse grip x4
Lat Pulldowns x4
Straight arm pulldown x4
Barbell Curl x4
Hammer curls x4

Chest and Triceps:
Dips x4
Benchpress x4
Incline Dumbell press x4
Decline Dumbell press x4
Dumbell overhead extension x4
CG bench press x2 (1 warm up)
Skull crushers x4
Tricep push downs (rope) x4

Legs:
Squats x4
Leg Press x4
Stiff leg deadlift x3
Calf raise x3
Leg extensions x4

Shoulders:
Barbell military press x4
Seated military press x 3
Dumbell press x4
Upright barbell row x4
Shrugs x4
Side lateral raises x4

Critique my routine please, Any thing i should take out and put something different in instead?

Terrible.
Nah mate not enough, I do
2 Sets of Crunches 15-20 Reps
Russian Twist 2 sets until failure
Knee Raises
Plank for 2 Mins
Then use a 20kg plate and go sideways down to my feet then raise back up, (not sure what exercise it's called :p)
Even worse.

Considering that you've already implied that you're going to do upright rows regardless of reasonable feedback, is it worth my time to expand on the critique I've already given?

Permabanned
Okay thanks

You do far too much in those routines. Your wasting time, messing up your hormone balance and minimizing any gains. You are training very anti-size and pro endurance/fitness. If this is your goal then great carry on, but you wont get remotely big. The focus needs to be on maximizing hormone release through compounds and then working at hypertrophy via a couple of well managed ancilliary movements. Your plan just looks like every other noob plan out there, which aims to tick every box but achieve nothing.

Soldato
You do far too much in those routines. Your wasting time, messing up your hormone balance and minimizing any gains. You are training very anti-size and pro endurance/fitness. If this is your goal then great carry on, but you wont get remotely big. The focus needs to be on maximizing hormone release through compounds and then working at hypertrophy via a couple of well managed ancilliary movements. Your plan just looks like every other noob plan out there, which aims to tick every box but achieve nothing.

Have to agree with this.

Took me a few years to realise less is more.

A well designed methodical program will get you miles further than a 'tick every box' program. :)

Permabanned
Have to agree with this.

Took me a few years to realise less is more.

A well designed methodical program will get you miles further than a 'tick every box' program. :)

The truth about weight training is this, for the first 3 years of training a typical lifter will need no more than 16 maximum movements to work every body part perfectly. They will need no more than 4 sets per movement and they will work with 4 main compounds. In these 3 years they will achieve close to 70% of what they are able to naturally and they will have reduced bodyfat to the point that there is at least some semblance of abdominals to see. They will be stronger than about 80% of the general population and be able to lift between 1 and 3x their own bodyweight across all 4 compounds.

This would happen for any lifter in this way assuming, proper diet, proper rest, adherence to above training guidelines and abstinance from injury.

Probably 1 in 1000 people will actually achieve this in this timescale, in 98% of cases it will be soley down the fault of the individual.

There is nothing difficult about lifting. The only thing that gets in the way is the lifter.

Caporegime
The truth about weight training is this, for the first 3 years of training a typical lifter will need no more than 16 maximum movements to work every body part perfectly. They will need no more than 4 sets per movement and they will work with 4 main compounds. In these 3 years they will achieve close to 70% of what they are able to naturally and they will have reduced bodyfat to the point that there is at least some semblance of abdominals to see. They will be stronger than about 80% of the general population and be able to lift between 1 and 3x their own bodyweight across all 4 compounds.

This would happen for any lifter in this way assuming, proper diet, proper rest, adherence to above training guidelines and abstinance from injury.

Probably 1 in 1000 people will actually achieve this in this timescale, in 98% of cases it will be soley down the fault of the individual.

There is nothing difficult about lifting. The only thing that gets in the way is the lifter.

Where you like this in your first 3 years?

I got fortunate enough that I learn from other peoples mistakes and listened to mostly threads like this. I've been training (on and off for the first half) roughly a year and a half.

Over 1x on 3/4 compound moves, and that's due to doing exactly as you say above. (minus proper diets)

Permabanned
Somewhat but not without my mistakes. My first year i was just like our mr cocacola, tried to tick every box. Made plenty of gains as a new lifter but could have done better. Next 2 years i learned and focused on compound lifts and less auxillaries. I probably did achieve (just) the targets i laid out in those 3 years. Apart from bodyfat which i still struggle with i managed bodyweight lifts or above in all but OHP (@ over 100kg bw). Without steroids and without any special training, just 4 major compounds, 3 auxillaries in an 8866 set pattern.

From there i went to the dark side for 6 months, gained very quickly, got big, not a million miles from where i am now, maybe a bit fatter. I got coeliac disease, undiagnosed, came off steroids with no PCT stopped eating entirely, stopped training.

When i got better i ended up somewhere behind my best natural levels, but with a good base and a new enforced dietary plan. I worked hard for a year to get back into shape and get my lifts up, before turning back to the dark side to continue where i left off.

Im stronger than ever now, far bigger and far leaner than at any point. Sure ive taken a different path to many, but ultimately i still hit the gym, start with a compound and then work some auxillary hypertrophy. Its a cornerstone that should be respected. And the next time someone extolls the virtues of a 10x10 5x5 or HST routine. Remember to look at what they have achieved. Because whilst there is loads of merit in a lot of these training styles, all the big guys i talk to have much the same opinion as me, doubly so when referring to people in the first 3-5 years of natural training.

Soldato
Where you like this in your first 3 years?

I got fortunate enough that I learn from other peoples mistakes and listened to mostly threads like this. I've been training (on and off for the first half) roughly a year and a half.

Over 1x on 3/4 compound moves, and that's due to doing exactly as you say above. (minus proper diets)

Not really the point, I'm sure plenty of the more experienced members will have done exactly as UE said in his first three years. Even if they won't necessarily admit it. The key difference probably was they didn't have access to the information that mr cola does.

The reason most people follow what UE suggested in their first three years is because that's the general stuff that's stuck out there, with stuff like MH and similar giving you different 4 week life changing systems, which means you have no consistency to your routine, or you end up sticking every single exercise they recommend into a single routine.

This forum provides a nice array of information for people to feed on that if they follow will do them very well. I'm even more than happy to admit that some people will wane in concentration and focus. That happens to the best of people, and all people. But if you say 'I want to make a change' at least try making a change in the best way possible with the best information available to you, rather than asking for advice and then ignoring it.

kd

Man of Honour
Terrible.

Even worse.

Considering that you've already implied that you're going to do upright rows regardless of reasonable feedback, is it worth my time to expand on the critique I've already given?

:( but he's not doing that much more than me :(

Well apart from 4 sets for everything but not a huge amount more :(

WKN

WKN

Permabanned
I've gone back and changed some things, Made it a bit shorter.

Is this better?

Back and biceps:
Chins/ pullups x3
Deadlifts x2
1 Arm Dumbell Row x3
Lat Pulldowns (Wide grip) x3
Straight arm pulldown x4
Barbell Curl x4
Hammer curls x4

Chest and Triceps:
Dips x4
Dumbell bench press x4
Incline Dumbell press x3
Decline Dumbell press x3
Close grip bench press x3
Tricep push downs (rope) x3

Legs:
Squats x4
Leg Press x4
Stiff leg deadlift x3
Calf raise x3

Shoulders:
Dumbell press x4
Barbell upright row x3
Side lateral raises x4

Thanks

Soldato

Explains your results ;)

Is this better?

Back and biceps:
Chins/ pullups x3
Deadlifts x2
1 Arm Dumbell Row x3
Straight arm pulldown x4
Barbell Curl x4
Hammer curls x4

Chest and Triceps:
Dips x4
Dumbell bench press x4
Incline Dumbell press x3
Decline Dumbell press x3

Legs:
Squats x4
Leg Press x4
Stiff leg deadlift x3
Calf raise x3

Shoulders:
Dumbell press x4
Barbell upright row x3
Side lateral raises x4

Thanks

http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/

Make sure your diet is good as well, and make sure your form is good.

For Abs. Read the form thread.

These are worth a read as well.
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18474510
(links to all of these, but make sure you read them)
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18299646
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17401146
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18398834

Come back after that.

kd

Permabanned
ok ill waste my time and 'fix' this routine maybe you do it maybe u dont.

Back and biceps:
Chins/ pullups x5 (starting 5x5 working up to 5x10 then weighting) alternate these weekly Deadlifts x5 (10,8,8,6,6)
BB Row (BOR) x4 (8,8,6,6)
Lat Pulldowns (Wide grip) x4 alternate with close pulls x4 (8866)
Barbell Curl x4 superset with Reverse grip curls curls x4 10 of each (20 reps per SS)

Chest and Triceps:
Dips x4 Dumbell/barbell bench press x4 alternate week by week 8866
Incline Dumbell press x4 alternate with BB incline x4 8866
Tricep push downs (rope) x4 15,15,12,12
Close grip bench press x4 8866

Legs:
Squats x4 10 10 8 8
Leg Press x4 15 15 12 12
Stiff leg deadlift x4 15 15 10 10
Calf raise x4 25 20 15 10

Shoulders:
Barbell military press x4 alternate with Dumbell press x4 8866
Side lateral raises x4 12 12 10 10
Front Raises x4 12 12 10 10
Rear delt flyes x4 10 10 10 10

What ive done is remove exercises you cant do properly (no you cant), and focus on the cream of training staples in the correct volumes for bodybuilding and early strength.

See you in 3 years, you will be miles ahead of where you are now and ready to try something new.

Soldato
Back and biceps:
Chins/ pullups x3
Deadlifts x2
1 Arm Dumbell Row x3
Straight arm pulldown x4
Barbell Curl x4
Hammer curls x4

Chest and Triceps:
Dips x4
Dumbell bench press x4
Incline Dumbell press x3
Decline Dumbell press x3

Legs:
Squats x4
Leg Press x4
Stiff leg deadlift x3
Calf raise x3

Shoulders:
Dumbell press x4
Barbell upright row x3
Side lateral raises x4

Thanks

You don't need to use every angle, decline, flat, incline for chest, alternate them each workout if you want to use all the angles/exercises.

Man of Honour

You don't do 4x12

I don't think you do BB upright bros

Your exercise selection is more sophisticated

Is this better?

Back and biceps:
Chins/ pullups x3
Deadlifts x2
1 Arm Dumbell Row x3
Straight arm pulldown x4
Barbell Curl x4
Hammer curls x4

Chest and Triceps:
Dips x4
Dumbell bench press x4
Incline Dumbell press x3
Decline Dumbell press x3

Legs:
Squats x4
Leg Press x4
Stiff leg deadlift x3
Calf raise x3

Shoulders:
Dumbell press x4
Barbell upright row x3
Side lateral raises x4

Thanks
Not betterer enough.

Back and biceps:
Chins/ pullups x5 (starting 5x5 working up to 5x10 then weighting) alternate these weekly Deadlifts x5 (10,8,8,6,6)
Barbell Curl x4 superset with Reverse grip curls curls x4 10 of each (20 reps per SS)

Chest and Triceps:

Legs:
Squats x4 10 10 8 8
Leg Press x4 15 15 12 12

Shoulders:

What ive done is remove exercises you cant do properly (no you cant), and focus on the cream of training staples in the correct volumes for bodybuilding and early strength.

See you in 3 years, you will be miles ahead of where you are now and ready to try something new.
Handsome.

Not how I would periodise, but that's a matter of preference.

WKN

WKN

Permabanned

Back and biceps:

Chest and Triceps:

Legs:
Squats x4 10 10 8 8
Leg Press x4 15 15 12 12

Shoulders:

Thanks for that mate, I've noted it down on my iPod I'll be trying it for a month see how i get on :) It's defiantly something different that what I've been doing

Btw what does (BOR) Mean?

Thanks

Permabanned
Handsome.

Not how I would periodise, but that's a matter of preference.

you understand tho scott, im not trying to give anyone the perfect routine, im trying to give the absolute, base, simplest, most no frills program that would lead to better gains than 80% of uncoached trainers on the planet.

After those 3 years, well then you get into all the other crap, mostly the crap you go on about ;) (im aware its valuable crap)

Back
Top Bottom